"Dive" bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not seen one directly targeted for theft, however I have seen somebody at Newark grab the first Oceanic bag that came down the luggage chute and head to customs without even considering that if he checked the name tag he might (and did) grab somebody else's luggage.

My wife puts our initials on our bags with fabric paint in multiple places about four inches tall. This is for our protection from someone grabbing our bags by mistake or our grabbing someone elses. I have known someone who just poured the paint on the bag to make it unattractive as well as make it identifiable at a distance. Sheila also tags our wetsuits, BC's and other gear.

I can get up to 3 bags for free on either WestJet or Air Canada to a max of 72 pounds per bag.

I can get up to 3 bags for free on either WestJet or Air Canada to a max of 72 pounds per bag.

Living the good life in First/Business class, aren't we??? :clapping:

Living the good life in First/Business class, aren't we??? :clapping:
Nope. The opposite end of the spectrum. I served a little over 30 years in the Air Force. Both Air Canada and WestJet offer this to Active Duty military and to vets. Air Canada's policy also includes members of the US Armed Services too.

Nope. The opposite end of the spectrum. I served a little over 30 years in the Air Force. Both Air Canada and WestJet offer this to Active Duty military and to vets. Air Canada's policy also includes members of the US Armed Services too.

Well, in that case, you deserve it! Thanks for your service!

Well, in that case, you deserve it! Thanks for your service!
My pleasure. Thank you for your support.

My bag (which has served for a couple of week long liveaboards so far without much damage is - Tog 24 Pagan.

Zipper in the middle height wise so once unzipped it folds open down the middle. Bottom section normally gets my dive gear (fins, wetsuit, boots, gloves, hood, bp&w) with clothes, toiletries etc going in the top section. Has a couple of pockets on the top as well for anything else. Dive computer, regs etc always go in carry on - no way do I trust baggage handlers anywhere!

I am definitely in the camp of "why advertise the fact that my bag contains expensive gear?" Also I tend to find that everything manufactured for Scuba tends to have premium price tag - most dive bags with that space are £100-150 whereas I bought that for £60. Add to that the fact that it is bright red and it means I can pick it out in an instant on a baggage carousel.

My wife and I have Stahlsacs, but now that I see how many non-dive-brand "roller duffels" are out there these days, I'm not entirely sure I would buy one again. The main feature I was after at the time (10 years ago) was sufficient length for fins, which many generic roller suitcases are too short to accommodate. Also, I like that the tub-shaped hard bottom side of the Stahlsac provides some protection, while the fabric upper side facilitates stowing it compactly when not in use. Some roller duffels look like they don't provide much protection. Then again, you can protect more fragile items like regs by wrapping them in a wetsuit or clothing.

I wish I could always take regs in a carry-on, but some airlines are strict about weight and size limitations (e.g., 10kg), and I've already got computer, mask, camera, etc., in there.

The Stahlsacs do not have dive flag logos or any words other than "Stahlsac," so unless a would-be thief is a diver, one would not know it contains dive gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom