Dive Assure New Price Increase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello GP51,

DiveAssure encourages members to contact the customer service call center and receive personal attention focusing on the member's individual questions and requirements. We feel that the discussions we attend in the forum should be used for issues that are of interest to the general diving public.

To the point you raised; our rates and programs were indeed updated effective July 1st 2007. The price update was in most cases negligible – The rates we charge for our Gold and Platinum remained the same whereas our Diamond program is now underwritten on an entirely different basis. For single trip coverage the Diamond has gone up by 10%-15% or even less. Rates for Multi-trip coverage are now indeed more expensive. However, this program is still extremely attractive to those planning more than one dive trip in a year

This price update was the first one since DiveAssure started in 2002 and was absolutely necessary. Moreover, DiveAssure still offers the best diving accident and dive-travel protection programs at very competitive rates.

DiveAssure offers the only primary diving accident coverage and dive-travel protection, and the Diamond program is the only program to offer both medical and trip protection all in one comprehensive program. The Diamond Multi-trip is the only multi trip dive-travel program.

For specific inquires please don’t hesitate to contact our support team at toll free 866-898-0921 Ext 1, or via email at info.usa@diveassure.com

There have been some interesting posts to this thread in the last 24 hours. Hopefully, Dive Assure will engage in this thread and address some of our comments.

I buy dive insurance for two main reasons (medical and trip cancellation/interuption). Although equipment coverage can be important, it is not my main reason for buying insurance. I use to buy a Travelguard policy for each trip I went on. After a while, that became a real pain. That is one of the reasons I switched over to Dive Assure. I could buy an annual policy instead of a new policy for each trip. Another reason I switched to DA was because if anything went wrong, I only had to deal with one insurance carrier, not multiple. But the main reason I switched to DA was their price. To pay $310/year for great coverage for any dive trip I went in 2007 was great. It was a no brainer. DA still offers great coverage and if you go on 4 or more trips a year, it's still pretty much of a no brainer, even at $810 per year. The real question comes when you don't take 4 or more trips per year, the math changes and DA does not look as inviting as it once did. In my case, I have company health insurance through Anthem Blue Cross. In checking with them, I am covered for any accident I have (diving or non-diving, in-country or out-of-country). My dedectibles might be higher if I am out of the country but the majority of my bills will be covered. By purchasing a DAN policy (secondary coverage, $25-$70 per year), the deductibles that Anthem doesn't pay should be covered by DAN.

As someone mentioned in an earlier post, equipment loss should be covered under your homeowner's policy (less the deductible). Again, if you purchased a DAN policy, those deductibles not covered by your homeowner's policy should be covered by DAN.

Trip cancellation/interuption insurance can be purchased from a variety of carriers, including DAN, with the policy cost depending on the cost of the trip.

In my case, I have 2 dive trips planned for 2008. Because of their new pricing structure, Dive Assure's new rate on their Daimond 7500 policy does not look as inviting as it did last year. I can purchase roughly the same coverage for less money by going through DAN and Travelguard, as long as I don't mind dealing with multiple carriers if something goes wrong.

I've enjoyed really all the posts on this thread. It's been enlightening.

Be safe in 2008................GP.

Well, primary insurance costs will be higher than secondary, because they would not have to pay as often, right? (they pay the gap)

yea, Don

sophisticated consumers are bad news for insurance companies. I plan to dump mine and take my chances, most companies weazle out of paying if they can anyway. I know you are a DAN fan, I might take a fresh look at that. Too bad there is no "Consumer Reports of Scuba Businesses"....Undercurrent, do they review these companies?

Just know you are not alone in your search for another insurance carrier. I too was taken aback when we called Dive Assure to renew our staff Diamond policy for this year and was quoted a price more than twice as last year! I actually called back to cancel my policy until I can investigate my options...if anyone has some options please post so we can all choose the best provider for our needs.

yea, Don

sophisticated consumers are bad news for insurance companies. I plan to dump mine and take my chances, most companies weazle out of paying if they can anyway. I know you are a DAN fan, I might take a fresh look at that. Too bad there is no "Consumer Reports of Scuba Businesses"....Undercurrent, do they review these companies?
I do like DAN, at least for Dive Insurance. I am no authority, but mostly I do like to encourage newbies, vacation divers, and others who might try to bluff thru diving without it to get it early and keep it. In only 351 dives I have seen 6 others leave by ambulance, 2 of whom were air evaced to the US. I also encourage calling them early...

It is good that DAN has competition, but it has to be good competition. :wink:

Well. I caught this thread, and immediately went to see what Janet & I would pay to renew our Diamond ( w/ trip insurance) coverage.

Sure enough, it's up $200 total, or, $100 per person. As Catherine said, it's all about value. Considering that the trip insurance portion is good for the whole year, it's worth it for us; otherwise the trip insurance would run us about $1500 total over 2008.

All the best, James

Their multi-trip coverage does sound appealing, but I got to wonder about the big jump on GP's rates.
Well. I caught this thread, and immediately went to see what Janet & I would pay to renew our Diamond ( w/ trip insurance) coverage.

Sure enough, it's up $200 total, or, $100 per person. As Catherine said, it's all about value. Considering that the trip insurance portion is good for the whole year, it's worth it for us; otherwise the trip insurance would run us about $1500 total over 2008.

All the best, James
I used your state and age from your profile. I don't know her age, but doesn't seem to matter in your range. For a new policy. Not bad, but different - and I got to wonder what will happen next...?
Screen01-1.jpg

Then I checked on Texas for me at my age. Again, appealing, but what would they do to me next year...?
Screen02-2.jpg

It might be worth it to try for a year. I can always go back to DAN if they hit me with a big increase.

Except it would not let me plug in a Single Trip coverage rate? I got to wonder about that, too...??

<snip>- and I got to wonder what will happen next...?<snip>
Indeed an excellent point, Don. I guess Janet and I will have to make our decisions year by year.

BTW, Janet will be tickled pink by the age you put in for her!

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom