Dive Assure New Price Increase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gp51

Registered
Reaction score
It is currently time for me to renew my 1 year, multi-trip, Daimond 7500 policy with Dive Assure. When I called today to inquire about my renewal, I was quoted a price almost 3X what it was previously ($310 vs $810). The coverage was the same. What gives??? GP

A gentleman named Ryan from Dive Assure called me this morning. He said he saw my post on this board but wanted to answer my question personally, therefore chose not to reply to this thread. Ryan would not answer my question directly (why this year's rate had nearly tripled over last year's). He spoke in generalities, not speciifics. He said AIG's rates had gone up (obviously), Dive Assure still offers the most coverage for the least amount of money (questionable) and I could always reduce my coverage to the Gold and Platinum programs if I wanted to save money. Not really the specific answers I was hoping for. Look, I don't fault any company for wanting to make money. A company won't stay in business long if it doesn't. However, if a client calls and wants to find out why his dive insurance premium is nearly tripling in cost, I would hope that company would offer more to their customer than "rates have gone up". I encouraged Ryan/Dive Assure to reconsider their position and post an answer on this board. Hopefully they will do so. GP (for the record, I bought my Dive Assure policy on 1-25-07 and have never filed a claim against them).

Please let us know what you learn as you continue to look into this. Have you checked to see what comparable coverage from DAN would cost?

I had the same reaction last year when I renewed. Had to think long and hard what I really needed for coverage. I still use Dive Assure but it was hard to see that big of a rate increase.

They say rates have gone up. Granted, that's a large increase but what exactly do you want them to tell you? Exactly how their business operates and how rates are determined? What difference does it make why they went up? It is what it is so now you have to decide whether you want to renew or shop for alternatives.

Well, I guess I won't renew.

I changed over from DAN because it was a better value for the dollar...now it is not.

Is Dive Assure that worth that much extra over DAN? Those prices seems really high

Interesting.. I renewed last September but did not notice a price increase. I'm not certain when it went into effect. I originally chose to go with Dive Assure rather than DAN since DAN did not cover Alaska policies at the time. I believe they do now. My main concern with regard to the dive insurance is not only how I am covered in an accident, but also how my equipment is covered. I could not find a comparable coverage with DAN - especially for equipment loss. I have no allegiance to either DAN or Dive Assure, but I too want the best value. I am very much interested in hearing what transpires between you and Dive Assure.

We renewed in October also and I didn't notice much of an increase, certainly not treblefold. But we're at the platinum level, not diamond, so that may be the big difference. I did not see where the higher level would give me anything I don't already have with various insurance policies I have, including that offered by major credit cards...I just want a good level of dive insurance.

It is currently time for me to renew my 1 year, multi-trip, Daimond 7500 policy with Dive Assure. When I called today to inquire about my renewal, I was quoted a price almost 3X what it was previously ($310 vs $810). The coverage was the same. What gives??? GP

Not sure what you're insuring here.

If it's equipment, your Homeowner's Insurance company will generally sell you a "Sporting Goods Rider" for very little money. I think I pay about $50/year to cover all my SCUBA stuff.

If it's medical insurance, even the most expensive DAN plan is less than $200 for a family membership.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom