Dive alert recommendation? Experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing I find a PITA is trying to dry the insides afterwards. How much of the leftover tank is it suppose to take? :confused:

Drying the insides:confused::confused::confused:

Isn't that rather loud? Wouldn't that annoy everyone within a 1/4 mile radius? I just let it air dry, and it works just fine. Mine's 3 years old, and if it failed next week, I'd gladly replace it, but it still works like new.

I've only had to use mine once. When I surfaced we were a hundred yards from the boat and there was some weather coming in. I could see the captain looking for us in the wrong direction. I gave a blast of the horn, signaled OK and we did our surface swim to the boat. I didn't need it for myself in this case, but it did lower the stress level on the boat. It was reassuring to see how fast the captain picked up and reacted to the sound.

Drying the insides:confused::confused::confused:

Isn't that rather loud? Wouldn't that annoy everyone within a 1/4 mile radius? I just let it air dry, and it works just fine. Mine's 3 years old, and if it failed next week, I'd gladly replace it, but it still works like new.

Like the instructions say, stick a finger in the horn and it won't resonate. My admittedly minor beef is that I find I have to do this a couple of times, then let it sit for 15-30 minutes, and repeat the whole cycle four or six times before it stops spitting water.

The assumption is that it is better to get the thing completely dried out inside, especially since there were one or two posts here on SB that may have suggested premature failure from internal corrosion. Of course, does anyone know if there are corrodible metal parts inside?

I have one of those really loud alerts that connects to my inflator or to an extra hose. I never take it. I prefer a whistle because it should ALWAYS work. I can also see myself dumping the tank ridding myself of bulk if I'm adrift for a long time. ( like a day or two )

Maybe that's a stupid idea.. but the whistle will always work.

I have one of those really loud alerts that connects to my inflator or to an extra hose. I never take it. I prefer a whistle because it should ALWAYS work. I can also see myself dumping the tank ridding myself of bulk if I'm adrift for a long time. ( like a day or two )

Maybe that's a stupid idea.. but the whistle will always work.

Why wouldn't you take both?

I have two of them. Never go into any large body of water without it hooked up or in my pocket, Avoid the Divealert two however that is supposed to wrk above and below. To big, very unwieldy, and underwater annoying as heck. If you need underwater signalling device buy a seperate hammerhead if you want air power. Otherwise banging on the tank or rattle is cheaper and just as effective.

Why two of them. Do you dive with 2 or simply keep one as a back-up on the boat?

Garv

Sorry, should have been clearer. I have two BPW setups. One for singles, one for doubles. I just keep the DA on them. Don't have to go scrounging through the bag for it or worry about misplacing it when changing rigs. I got a lot of stuff here in my computer/dive room. Easy to lay something down and have a stack of papers, book, or one of my cats carry things off!

Why would I need to carry both? One is potentially all I'd need so I'll take the most reliable one.

As they say in my world..."why take both?... because it can't hurt!"

I think the suggestion is that because a whistle is small - size of a lighter - and cheap - about $6.00 - why wouldn't one opt to carry both. Redundancy is key when engaging in any endeavor in which there is a strong possibility of death or injury. Medicine, aviation, skydiving or scuba require redundancy in addition to good training and wise choices.

Interestingly, I started diving in the late 1970's. Back then only instructors and DM's carried octopus regs as a safe second(SS). When I asked why we, as students, spend so much time learning the skill of buddy breathing instead of simply spending an extra $80 (in 1970 era dollars!) to have an Octo too, the Instr.and DMs would smugly smile and say, "Well an octo is for us professionals. Why would anyone spend the extra cash for something that is unnecessary?" Pilots of small planes have the same attitude at times. Why get a ballistic parachute when a good pilot should be able to land the plane at all times? Same with pony bottles. I just love the comments from a few of the geniuses on SB when they argue a pony or - God Forbid- Spare-Air is ridiculous for a normal recreational diver to use. They say a diver should be watching their gauges to know their air pressure and avoid OOA situations. They never take into account equipment failure. Sh.t happens, equipment fails, gauges explode, glass cracks and O-rings burst so why not give oneself a bit of extra insurance if one can afford it. I never want to say, "Geez, I should have spent the extra $50 to get a whatever gizmo to save my a.s. but I was concerned about my image to other divers or scubaboard members." Cost versus benefit and what is personally affordable are considerations everyone needs to make individually and put other diver's feelings aside. Remember these same "experts" will not even know your name when you are gone and none of them will be taking care of your family either.

Thats my drash and i'm a stickin to it,
Garv:blinking:

You take both, I'll take my whistle. We'll both be happy.

As they say in my world..."why take both?... because it can't hurt!"

I think the suggestion is that because a whistle is small - size of a lighter - and cheap - about $6.00 - why wouldn't one opt to carry both. Redundancy is key when engaging in any endeavor in which there is a strong possibility of death or injury. Medicine, aviation, skydiving or scuba require redundancy in addition to good training and wise choices.

Interestingly, I started diving in the late 1970's. Back then only instructors and DM's carried octopus regs as a safe second(SS). When I asked why we, as students, spend so much time learning the skill of buddy breathing instead of simply spending an extra $80 (in 1970 era dollars!) to have an Octo too, the Instr.and DMs would smugly smile and say, "Well an octo is for us professionals. Why would anyone spend the extra cash for something that is unnecessary?" Pilots of small planes have the same attitude at times. Why get a ballistic parachute when a good pilot should be able to land the plane at all times? Same with pony bottles. I just love the comments from a few of the geniuses on SB when they argue a pony or - God Forbid- Spare-Air is ridiculous for a normal recreational diver to use. They say a diver should be watching their gauges to know their air pressure and avoid OOA situations. They never take into account equipment failure. Sh.t happens, equipment fails, gauges explode, glass cracks and O-rings burst so why not give oneself a bit of extra insurance if one can afford it. I never want to say, "Geez, I should have spent the extra $50 to get a whatever gizmo to save my a.s. but I was concerned about my image to other divers or scubaboard members." Cost versus benefit and what is personally affordable are considerations everyone needs to make individually and put other diver's feelings aside. Remember these same "experts" will not even know your name when you are gone and none of them will be taking care of your family either.

Thats my drash and i'm a stickin to it,
Garv:blinking:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom