Dive accident in Monterey, 5/15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and if he wasn't in as good a shape as he was (diving, running, etc) he might have had a heart attack at a much younger age. you can only fight against genetic make-up for so long. i'm always sorry to hear about younger, healthier people dying, though. seems even more unfair.

Chuck is absolutely correct. You can be stricken by a stroke but to be stricken is not to have had a stroke. Thanks for the correction!

MoonWrasse:
Heart attack or cardiac arrest?
I believe it could be stated as a cardiac arrest if he had an arrhythmia, which can kill at any age. Happened to a neighbor boy at the age of 19.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4481
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3053

MoonWrasse and all of you,

Did you read LuvDaOcean's post #17 "Found out last night that he had a heart attack.

bib, please keep my source confidential. thanks."

I for one will live it at that. Of course, one person in these boards has accused me of being too trusting and relying on someone's words but that's why I'm perfect .... :bic:

DiveGolfSki:
MoonWrasse and all of you,

Did you read LuvDaOcean's post #17 "Found out last night that he had a heart attack.

bib, please keep my source confidential. thanks."

I for one will live it at that. Of course, one person in these boards has accused me of being too trusting and relying on someone's words but that's why I'm perfect .... :bic:
Yes, I read the posts. What I was getting at was that often people (including moi) use the term "heart attack" interchangably with "cardiac arrest". This can be a misnomer when the victim is young and apparently healthy as they are trying to understand what the risks are.

MoonWrasse:
Yes, I read the posts. What I was getting at was that often people (including moi) use the term "heart attack" interchangably with "cardiac arrest". This can be a misnomer when the victim is young and apparently healthy as they are trying to understand what the risks are.

True but I'm not a doctor so I too would probably use heart attack. It's too bad for someone so young (or for that matter, any older folks). At least, he went doing something he liked?

In one of the these accident threads, KrisB suggested AR while on the surface. I don't know if it would have been a factor in this case but I think there is a thread somewhere on these boards about it. Seems like one skill everyone should learn....

Back when my mom was diving, she knew a guy who died of a massive heart attack while diving. I think he was early 30s.

When the coroner did the autopsy, he found that due to genetic conditions, the guy's system was awful. Had he been checked out, he would probably have been instantly confined to a wheelchair and still had a short life expectancy, though perhaps a couple years longer than he lived. Before the COD was determined, his family was horrified that "diving" had killed him, but after the findings, it was actually a source of great comfort for them that he had been extremely happy and active, and died doing what he loved rather than having to walk on eggshells for the last years of his life, before dying anyway.

mossym:
wow..42, marathon runner..didn't think that was heart attack candidate

Heart attacks can happen to anyone at anytime. While the majority happen later in life and can be attributed to lifestyle (smoking, obesity, etc.) and health conditions (diabetic, renal disease, hypertension, etc.). Heredity is a major risk factor and one that cannot be changed. Same with congenital defects. Bottom line is, you could have a VERY healthy lifestyle, eat all the good food and none of the bad food, exercise daily, and still die before 50. No one gets out of life alive. So enjoy life, have a passion (humm...diving comes to mind), and don't sweat the small stuff. If we are very lucky we will die while doing what we love...or in our sleep. Just my 2 cents.

ParamedicDiver1:
Heart attacks can happen to anyone at anytime. While the majority happen later in life and can be attributed to lifestyle (smoking, obesity, etc.) and health conditions (diabetic, renal disease, hypertension, etc.). Heredity is a major risk factor and one that cannot be changed. Same with congenital defects. Bottom line is, you could have a VERY healthy lifestyle, eat all the good food and none of the bad food, exercise daily, and still die before 50. No one gets out of life alive. So enjoy life, have a passion (humm...diving comes to mind), and don't sweat the small stuff. If we are very lucky we will die while doing what we love...or in our sleep. Just my 2 cents.

Remember Jim Fixx? His book, The Complete Book of Running, helped shape the running boom of the 1970s. On July 20, 1984, on his routine 10 mile run, Fixx suffered a fatal heart attack. He died at the age of 52.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom