Dive accident in Monterey, 5/15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bibendum

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on the accident that happened at Breakwater in Moneterey, CA yesterday? Thanks.

from what i heard, and this is second hand, it wasn't at breakwater, it was on a boat, the boat just returned to breakwater to get the person to shore. I believe it happened at Lover's.

Sure seems to be a lot of incidents so early in the warm water season. It is a good reminder that our beloved sport is dangerous and should not be taken for granted. Plan your dive and dive your plan. Don't take risks and above all be safe, lets not have anymore statistics for the books this year. Take care all.

sounds like he might have run out of air, and he might have been at a safety stop, but not likely if he was watching his depth gauge. Bolting to the surface at 15 feet while performing a normal ascent, not inflating and spitting out the reg seem to be consistent with an OOA situation. It is unfortunate that he buddy or buddies wasn't able to react quicker to prevent him from aspirating at the surface.

Justin699:
sounds like he might have run out of air, and he might have been at a safety stop, but not likely if he was watching his depth gauge. Bolting to the surface at 15 feet while performing a normal ascent, not inflating and spitting out the reg seem to be consistent with an OOA situation. It is unfortunate that he buddy or buddies wasn't able to react quicker to prevent him from aspirating at the surface.
I have no knowledge of this incident or what might have caused him to bolt and spit out his reg. But aside from the obvious possibility of equipment malfunction, I have observed that it is not uncommon for a person experienceing a heart attack to fight the oxygen mask -- claiming it was smothering them. It can be very difficult to convince such a person that the O2 mask is playing a vital role in saving their life. Perhaps there was some similar sort of situation developing and instinct over rode reason.

Chuck, without revealing your reliable source, what more do you have that you can tell us?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom