Dive Accident - Great Escape 9/17?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zackhund

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know of the details and outcome of an dive emergancy that occured on the Great Escape yesterday (9/17)? I heard the emergancy calls between Great Escape and the Coast Guard on my marine radio yesterday. From what I heard on channel 16, a Coast Guard helo was being dispatched to pick up the diver and take him to the chamber on Catalina.

zackhund:
Does anyone know of the details and outcome of an dive emergancy that occured on the Great Escape yesterday (9/17)? I heard the emergancy calls between Great Escape and the Coast Guard on my marine radio yesterday. From what I heard on channel 16, a Coast Guard helo was being dispatched to pick up the diver and take him to the chamber on Catalina.

40 year old on a rebreather.

The diver did not make it.

Oh man... Prayers for the Diver's family and the Crew of the GE.

---
Ken

Second 40 year old on a rebreather in SoCal in the last 6 weeks. Keeping in mind the special terms of service on this forum - any more info about this?

Jim

LAJim:
Second 40 year old on a rebreather in SoCal in the last 6 weeks. Keeping in mind the special terms of service on this forum - any more info about this?

Jim

Jim,

You are correct in that it was the 2nd solo, Inspiration RB diver in the last 6 weeks here locally. Both were diving solo on Inspiration's. I'm told that this diver surfaced and waved for help, but by the time he was recovered it was too late. I'm also told that very sadly, his son was on the boat and that the CG wouldn't remove the body from the boat until they got from San Clemente to Catalina so this poor kid had to ride back with his dad's body on the stern.

The information that I have from someone who was involved with the rescue/recovery is that it was a 70' for 30 min. and the diver surfaced quite a ways from the boat waving for help. I'm told about 700' from the boat. One of the DM's (Chris) went out to help and got about 2/3's of the way to him and he sank. Another instructor on the boat subsequently retrieved the body. Navy MP's and core man were in the area and attempted CPR but he was declared dead at 1:56. At 5:00 his body was delievered to the coroner's at Avalon..

It seems to me that if he had a buddy with him, at a minimum, one could presume the buddy could have kept the body afloat while help arrived. Whether or not he would have survived we'll never know, but I suspect his chances of survival would have increased immeasurably if he remained at the surface instead of underwater for the 10 minutes, or so it took to recover him.

What an aweful expereince that must have been for that poor kid to ride back to Avalon..

Regards

I Just Found Out Today And Have Tear My Eyes To Have Known And Met A Gentelman And The Happy Smiles And Jokes We Shared Few Times In Several Trips.
I Guess We Just Have To See The Official Reports.
GOD BE WITH YOU,WE Will ALLWAYS REMEMBER YOU HARRY.GOODBYE.

Frank

FRISCO_01:
I Just Found Out Today And Have Tear My Eyes To Have Known And Met A Gentelman And The Happy Smiles And Jokes We Shared Few Times In Several Trips.
I Guess We Just Have To See The Official Reports.
GOD BE WITH YOU,WE Will ALLWAYS REMEMBER YOU HARRY.GOODBYE.

Frank

I'm sorry about your friend Frank. My condolences to the family and friends that knew him. A sad, sad thing to have happen. :(

I had heard the deceased diver was brought into Avalon yesterday around 5:00 PM. Very sad to hear these details abouit the dive itself, and especially the fact that the diver's son was on board. My condolences to him, the rest of the family and those who knew this diver.

My condolences to the family!

MHK:
It seems to me that if he had a buddy with him, at a minimum, one could presume the buddy could have kept the body afloat while help arrived.

I've read horror stories of people that nearly died because they didn't want to suffer the cost of replacing a weight belt... and a ditched weight belt cost is nothing compared to a ditched RB cost. At this point, without more detailed knowledge of the accident, it is pure speculation that a dive buddy would have been any help at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom