Dive Accident - Great Escape 9/17?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MHK:
I have no idea how you can arrive at that conclusion. ...snip...

Because he is a SOLO DIVER (or at least a member of that group) and it would be "inconvenient" to admit that there was a situation where a buddy would have helped.

As you point out, while the outcome MIGHT have been the same, but there was at least a possiblity that a buddy could have helped.

Chuck Tribolet:
A first-hand account at http://diver.net/bbs/posts002/66925.shtml
It sounds like an embolism to me.

It's unclear how the O2 meter could read over 1.00 on the surface.

I am no RB expert, but a quick review of the Inspiration Electronics on their website indicates that the computer, when in CC mode, displays the setpoint. Clearly a setpoint > 2 and continuing to creep up would be a problem.

When the RB is examined, hopefully it will become more clear what likely happened.

the indicator read 2.43 is critical situation....Inspiration rebreather low setpoint is .7 high 1.3, rebreather need bailout plan...

Here the link http://diver.net/bbs/posts002/66925.shtml

Jason Ooi:
the indicator read 2.43 is critical situation....Inspiration rebreather low setpoint is .7 high 1.3, rebreather need bailout plan...

Here the link http://diver.net/bbs/posts002/66925.shtml

I know absolutely zero about rebreathers....but the article said that when he first looked at the rebreather (after the accident on the boat), it was reading 2.01 or something like that. The last time he looked at it, it read 2.43. He said that it was increasing and had a scrubber faillure. So who knows what level it was at during the time the diver had problems.

Now, as I stated above, I know zero about rebreathers. Can someone break it down for me as to what an O2 level of 2.0 , 2.43 means?? and what a scrubber is for? maybe it will help me understand this accident a bit better.

Thanks..

Is mean ppo2 2.43, is critical situation,
Lack oxygen "Hypoxia symptoms" is extremely dangerous, potential fatal, one the ppo2 drop .1 bar, dive will come unconsciousness.
Excess ppo2 "Hyperoxia symptoms" caused CNS and OTS extremely dangerous.
CO2 scrubber must replace after 3 hours used, excess CO2 "Hypercapnia symptoms" convulsion and unconsciousness.

Dive safe play safe

Divmstr223:
Now, as I stated above, I know zero about rebreathers. Can someone break it down for me as to what an O2 level of 2.0 , 2.43 means??
and what a scrubber is for? maybe it will help me understand this accident a bit better.

Thanks..

Chuck Tribolet:
Why would he want to ditch the rebreather? With the BC and breathing bags full, it will float like a cork.

Flooded loop, failed BCD, etc...

Otter:
I am no RB expert, but a quick review of the Inspiration Electronics on their website indicates that the computer, when in CC mode, displays the setpoint. Clearly a setpoint > 2 and continuing to creep up would be a problem.

When the RB is examined, hopefully it will become more clear what likely happened.

You cant get much more than a 1.0 po2 on the surface.. The Inpiration does PO2 in bar so, a properly calibrated unit would display 1.01 with 100% oxygen in the loop.. The overpressure valve has a maximum resistance of 40mbar in the dive position, so the max it could allow was a po2 of 1.05 (assuming you had 100% in the loop)..

If the OPV was in test position the po2 can get a little higher but not by much...

If the display was actually showing a po2 of >2 then the unit would have been beeping continuously (alarm activates at a po2 of 1.6).. There is no report of this, i'm not sure what the person was looking at.. And Finally the display would have had a HIGH OXYGEN warning message (This cant be supressed)..

If the loop got flooded, chances are the cells or electronics would have sustained some damage as well and we might not know what happened..

(all above assume vision electronics since he said he saw scrubber failure, which was probably SCRUBBER WARNING), which multiple conditions can cause this message..

padiscubapro:
You cant get much more than a 1.0 po2 on the surface.. The Inpiration does PO2 in bar so, a properly calibrated unit would display 1.01 with 100% oxygen in the loop.. The overpressure valve has a maximum resistance of 40mbar in the dive position, so the max it could allow was a po2 of 1.05 (assuming you had 100% in the loop)..

If the OPV was in test position the po2 can get a little higher but not by much...

If the display was actually showing a po2 of >2 then the unit would have been beeping continuously (alarm activates at a po2 of 1.6).. There is no report of this, i'm not sure what the person was looking at.. And Finally the display would have had a HIGH OXYGEN warning message (This cant be supressed)..

If the loop got flooded, chances are the cells or electronics would have sustained some damage as well and we might not know what happened..

(all above assume vision electronics since he said he saw scrubber failure, which was probably SCRUBBER WARNING), which multiple conditions can cause this message..

Joe, so its not likely that it was displaying the SETPOINT vs actual PO2? I was trying to figure out HOW one would get a reading above 1.0 on the surface.

Otter:
Joe, so its not likely that it was displaying the SETPOINT vs actual PO2? I was trying to figure out HOW one would get a reading above 1.0 on the surface.

I honestly do not know what he was looking at... even the set sepoint menu only alows a max programmed sp of 1.5
on the surface it will display the time... maybe it was never set after a battery change.. other than being off by about 12 hours it would make sense..

padiscubapro:
on the surface it will display the time... maybe it was never set after a battery change.. other than being off by about 12 hours it would make sense..

Does it do 24 hour time only? The accident happened in the early afternoon (death
declared at 1:56 p.m. IIRC), maybe it was 12-hour time and only off a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom