Dive Accident - Great Escape 9/17?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seuss:
I've read horror stories of people that nearly died because they didn't want to suffer the cost of replacing a weight belt... and a ditched weight belt cost is nothing compared to a ditched RB cost. At this point, without more detailed knowledge of the accident, it is pure speculation that a dive buddy would have been any help at all.
Why would he want to ditch the rebreather? With the BC and breathing bags full, it will float like a cork.

It's always so sad to hear about a loss of life. It is especially sad when it occurs during an activity that so many of us here are passionate about. My thoughts are with the diver's friends and family during this terrible time.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the man's family and friends, and those on the GE that day. What a tragedy.

Jennifer

Seuss:
At this point, without more detailed knowledge of the accident, it is pure speculation that a dive buddy would have been any help at all.

I have no idea how you can arrive at that conclusion. The diver surfaces about 700' - 800' away from the boat and begins waving for help. The DM takes the amount of time to put his fins on and then swim 700' - 800' to help. In the time it took the DM to get 2/3rds of the way out there the diver resubmerged never to be seen alive again. How you do not see that if a buddy was right next to him at the surface that he could have possibly dropped the belt, inflated his wing, or helped him stay afloat until further assistance arrived defies logic.

The fact of the matter is that we'll never know for sure what would have happened if he had a buddy, but we do know for sure what happened without a buddy, and all reasonable logic indicates that if this guy had a buddy with him, he likely would not have resubmerged, and likely wouldn't have spent the 15 additional minutes underwater that it took to get the rescue diver suited up and to his location.

Regards,

Condolences to the family of the deceased.

Both of these RB accidents have been horrible. Condolences to all family and friends!!

very sad - more so becuase it involves equipment that many do not understand.

with us just dipping the toe into the rebreather pool as hubby is going to get one in June, any real info is helpful to cut thru the BS hypothericals

condolenses to the family - ditto to Ann Marie's post

My condolences - ditto's also

We were docking on the King Neptune and the Harbor Patrol made us move becuase of the Great Escape coming in with an emergency. We couldn't figure out what it was at first, and it was quite a shock to see him come off the boat. We were on our check-out dive so I'm sure it was scary to some. This can be a dangerous sport and we all know the risks, but that doesn't make things easier when an accident happens. Very sad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom