Dive Accident - Great Escape 9/17?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Baz wont do that to me..... i started a birthday greeting thread for him on diveoz just so Bubbleboy can send him sweet wishes :D

I had the honor to meet Hriyer over a weekend of diving several years back as we were both starting out. I have nothing but fond memories of him as a good, kind, generous gentleman who loved his family very much.

My heartfelt condolences to family and friends at such a great loss.

MHK:
I have no idea how you can arrive at that conclusion. The diver surfaces about 700' - 800' away from the boat and begins waving for help. The DM takes the amount of time to put his fins on and then swim 700' - 800' to help. In the time it took the DM to get 2/3rds of the way out there the diver resubmerged never to be seen alive again. How you do not see that if a buddy was right next to him at the surface that he could have possibly dropped the belt, inflated his wing, or helped him stay afloat until further assistance arrived defies logic.

The fact of the matter is that we'll never know for sure what would have happened if he had a buddy, but we do know for sure what happened without a buddy, and all reasonable logic indicates that if this guy had a buddy with him, he likely would not have resubmerged, and likely wouldn't have spent the 15 additional minutes underwater that it took to get the rescue diver suited up and to his location.

Regards,

Maybe if the GE had an inflatable chase boat like most boats they could have gotten to the diver in time. The GE is not poster child for safety in my opinion.

Sac11550:
Maybe if the GE had an inflatable chase boat like most boats they could have gotten to the diver in time. The GE is not poster child for safety in my opinion.

Sac...you have no idea what you are talking about...Most Boats (in LA area...where GE is located) Do Not have chase boats...

What exactly is your opion based on...that GE is not poster child for saefty...I take exception to that comment...I know the Captain...it's crew, and most of the DMs on the GE...so give us some facts, don't just flap your gums:no

Dive California:
Sac...you have no idea what you are talking about...Most Boats (in LA area...where GE is located) Do Not have chase boats...

What exactly is your opion based on...that GE is not poster child for saefty...I take exception to that comment...I know the Captain...it's crew, and most of the DMs on the GE...so give us some facts, don't just flap your gums:no

When I dove the Great Escape last safety did not seem like a huge concern to them. No dive briefings, site description, depth or current. I would never dive a boat that did not have an inflatable chase boat and have never dove alive aboard that did not have one other then the GE. If you have to get to a diver(s) that are in trouble time is life. If you have an inflatable then you can reach an injured or troubled diver quickly. It takes too long to get the anchor up on an 80' boat, hope that other divers in the water know what you are doing and reach the troubled diver. Mind you there were no briefings on the GE on whether they had an underwater recall, what do if you came up from your dive and the boat was gone, or the engines are running. I only dove the GE once, but in my opinion it was a very unsafe boat. Sorry if you don't agree. Just 2 cents.

How about if the diver knew how to use his rebreather?

How about if he had a buddy?

Screw chase boats, how about a helicopter?

The Pacific Star has a chase boat. The one time I was on it and they went to use it, the outboard would not start. A DM had to swim to the diver.

He dove solo and used equipment he was not familiar with... he rolled the dice... o well

I've been on the GE many times- it's one of my favorites - I've always had to participate in roll call, dive briefings, etc. on multi days (3) and single days.I've never been on the boat when there wasn't - I've been on it over the past 6 years- and never saw a safer boat- other boats I've been on sometimes have roll calls and debriefings and sometimes not- be aware- these are CHARTERS- which means it's up to the group chartering to provide a DM or to insist on the DM that does a roll call- still the GE had a chase boat at one point and it was never used - except once to go get more ice at Avalon :)- in a rescue it can still be faster to jump in than to untie the chase boat and worry about running over other divers and getting even more victims-

JeffWilliamsLa:
How about if the diver knew how to use his rebreather?

How about if he had a buddy?

Screw chase boats, how about a helicopter?

The Pacific Star has a chase boat. The one time I was on it and they went to use it, the outboard would not start. A DM had to swim to the diver.

He dove solo and used equipment he was not familiar with... he rolled the dice... o well

You know your right. Did he know how to use his rebreather?? I don't know.. the impression given is that he did..

But none the less, a diver lost his life..... What a sad attitude to take to say, "he rolled the dice, o well"... jmho.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom