Ditching the poodle jacket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the most part, we are in agreement. Which is good since the laws of physics will not bend for either one of us.

FWIW: My harness allows me to dump 1/3 of my lead at a time, so I would be ~10lbs positive. I also have the option of lifting the velcro flap and dumping in 3lbs increments. So in theory I might survive. Personally I think either is a stupid plan, thus I always have an SMB, even in a spring. I would much rather have the option to have a lift up than be a rocket.

Couldn't tell if this has been answer yet amongst the debating!

Yes, you'll want a crotch strap. Personally I have a 2" wide crotch strap. It doesn't rub if you know what I mean. I have a d ring on the front of it and there is a d ring on the rear. The read d ring is for scootering (which I don't yet do) and the rear is where I clip my reel and SMB or lift bag. It is out of the way and doesn't cause drag.

Cheers (and likewise diver85). Yes a crotch strap is a major consideration as I hate the way my rig creeps up currently. I hadn't considered crotch rot but I will do now as I have the kind of body that likes to rub and I've done my share of groin rash. I'm guessing you're saying the wider the better. When it comes to the crotch that tends to be a general rule that works well :D so happy to run with that.

J

For the most part, we are in agreement. Which is good since the laws of physics will not bend for either one of us.

Heh. :D

Also - I can tell you that when I'm diving with a thick suit or drysuit, I like to have all of my weight on my rig. I don't like to wear weight belts. Even correctly weighted, sometimes my rig (with backplate, tank, STA, and whatever weight I need) can be surprisingly heavy... And I like to be able to float my rig sometimes so that I can get in or out of the boat (wimpy dive ladder). Thus - my wing's gotta have enough lift to support everything WITHOUT me and the suit.

Just out of curiosity, what would you do if you needed to get out of your rig (entanglement for example)? Having all your weight on your rig will make one of you very negative and one of you very positive and they don't always play nicely together :)

J

Lol... Isn't that the truth. :) To quote an old U2 song, "Some days are better than others." :D

I'm entangled all the time... Commercial diver here. :) Cutting out line and chain and mono is pretty much my full-time job. :)

I've never needed to get out of my rig. Not once in 23+ years of diving, and not once in the five years that I've done this full-time. The key is probably a streamlined rig... Which also minimizes weighting, trim and bouyancy issues, and gas consumption... While being very easy to swim up. But hey, I'm starting to sound like a broken record. :D

I don't recommend ever separating yourself from your life support system. Not in 1 foot of water, and not in 1000 feet of water. :) Make it instinctual, and... Well, it'll become instinctual. :D

You might as well have asked me, "What if you become entangled and need to remove your nose?" :) In 40 years of living, I haven't ever had the need to do that either. :)

As far as the skill goes (doffing and donning underwater), to pass the class (I have no idea why they'd want to teach you to do this), if you're correctly weighted and avoiding farmer johns, you won't be THAT positive, and your rig won't be THAT negative... That is, you'll be able to manage just fine. :)

Cheers (and likewise diver85). Yes a crotch strap is a major consideration as I hate the way my rig creeps up currently. I hadn't considered crotch rot but I will do now as I have the kind of body that likes to rub and I've done my share of groin rash. I'm guessing you're saying the wider the better. When it comes to the crotch that tends to be a general rule that works well :D so happy to run with that.

J

Same here ie I use a 2" strap........good luck(in more than one way---lol)

One vote for the Halcyon crotch strap... And I've heard good things about Oxycheq's, DiveGearExpress's, and Dive Rite's.

I think the key is in really soft webbing (no resin for stiffening) and proper adjustment. Properly adjusted, a crotch strap should just barely be noticable if you're topside and crouch down (squat). Standing, this usually equates to about a 1-inch overlap past your harness' weight strap if you pull it snug. Otherwise, standing or diving, you shouldn't feel it or even notice it at all.

...I don't know what "1-inch abpve the harness' waist strap" equates to in a BC, but that gives you an idea. :)

For what it's worth, I always find that the crotch strap sorta "bunches up" between the legs - so a 2" crotch strap works better for me than a 1" crotch strap, which is a little more "dental floss" like when it bunches. :)

...Of course, that's just an opinion, and everyone has one. :D

I've never needed to get out of my rig. Not once in 23+ years of diving, and not once in the five years that I've done this full-time. The key is probably a streamlined rig... Which also minimizes weighting, trim and bouyancy issues, and gas consumption... While being very easy to swim up. But hey, I'm starting to sound like a broken record. :D

I don't recommend ever separating yourself from your life support system. Not in 1 foot of water, and not in 1000 feet of water. :) Make it instinctual, and... Well, it'll become instinctual. :D

You might as well have asked me, "What if you become entangled and need to remove your nose?" :) In 40 years of living, I haven't ever had the need to do that either. :)

As far as the skill goes (doffing and donning underwater), to pass the class (I have no idea why they'd want to teach you to do this), if you're correctly weighted and avoiding farmer johns, you won't be THAT positive, and your rig won't be THAT negative... That is, you'll be able to manage just fine. :)

...not to hijack too much but I quite agree with ya here, that whole 'doff and don underwater' class thingy always struck me a completely silly....I thought WTF ???

...not to hijack too much but I quite agree with ya here, that whole 'doff and don underwater' class thingy always struck me a completely silly....I thought WTF ???

I think it is mostly about building comfort rather than any practical reason. I've done it once outside of skills practice to put a crotch strap back on that unthreaded. No big deal and I could have just left the strap off if I really wanted.

Lol... Isn't that the truth. :) To quote an old U2 song, "Some days are better than others." :D

I'm entangled all the time... Commercial diver here. :) Cutting out line and chain and mono is pretty much my full-time job. :)

I've tried doffing/donning in shallow water with all weight on my rig and its very difficult. Not impossible but I wouldn't like to try it in any kinda of emergency. Same drill with a weight belt was a piece of cake.

Of course, it does indeed raise the question, why would you ever want to take your rig off. Bug hunting? Dealing with leaking first stage/o-ring problem? Adjusting tank band? Passing gear through a narrow spot where both rig and human can't pass at same time (wreck/cave)? Changing your crotch strap :)

I'm more than happy to lean towards the rig as life support don't take it off ever but I can see situations where it could be necessary or at least preferable (itchy back syndrome) to be able to doff and don.

I guess it's hardly that big a deal and if in 40 years you've not come across a need then perhaps it's not so important to distribute weight between human and rig. I'd prefer it that way as I'm no fan of weight belts.

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom