Ditching the poodle jacket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You and Sas mind if I shot you some pm's with some (possibly stupid) questions about plates and wings???

Sure, no worries, please feel free to PM me if you have any questions. :)

Oh, okay, "Stirspot." :)

Remember the movie Dances With Wolves? That was the guy's Indian (Native American) name. His girlfriend's name was "Stands With Fist." :D

From now on, your Native American name is "Stirspot." :D

Another beer?

Outside of the BP/W discussion the other important area of interest is the degree of flexibility within one's diving protocols.

For SeaJay, a malfunctioning reg is reason to abort a dive. He's done thousands so speaks from a position of some experience.

For Sas, a problem easily solvable underwater, even with essential piece of kit, was reason to continue the dive.

For me the point isn't really who is right and who is wrong, the point is that both have thought about and considered the propositions in detail and were happy with the decisions they made, and made from positions of experience and training.

Until recently I felt very out of my depth in diving. Wasn't really sure what the appropriate response was in any situation unless I knew exactly what I should do in that situation. Basically, unless I knew the protocol I was unhappy.

As I get more familiar, and hopefully not complacent, about diving, I feel more comfortable that I know most failure modes and am fairly happy with my expected responses to them. I don't even need to know all the things that could go wrong anymore, I'm happy with the fact I think I would know how to deal with most of them.

I believe it is the thinking, the recognition, the internalisation of considering problems both theoretical and real and feeling confident in your expected response that has great value to learning.

And that's why I didn't mind the thread hijacked. And I was happy to help in that myself.

And I've got some shiny new stuff arriving tomorrow so who, WHO, could be pissed off with that!

xxx J

Awesome. :thumb:

I believe it is the thinking, the recognition, the internalisation of considering problems both theoretical and real and feeling confident in your expected response that has great value to learning.

I couldn't agree with you more - and couldn't have said it better myself. Nicely put! :)

And I've got some shiny new stuff arriving tomorrow so who, WHO, could be pissed off with that!

I'm excited, too... And I'm not even getting the stuff! Just excited for you... :) I can feel it all the way on this side of the pond. :D

InTheDrink, that's a beautiful post. Both of the agencies through which I've done most of my training emphasize the need to create "thinking divers". You can't possibly prepare for every different thing that could happen on a dive, but you can prepare for common ones, and you can train yourself to use a calm and methodical approach to issues. There is very little that can go wrong underwater that you can't solve safely if you don't get panicky and if you think things through in a logical fashion.

For Sas, a problem easily solvable underwater, even with essential piece of kit, was reason to continue the dive.

<snip>

As I get more familiar, and hopefully not complacent, about diving, I feel more comfortable that I know most failure modes and am fairly happy with my expected responses to them. I don't even need to know all the things that could go wrong anymore, I'm happy with the fact I think I would know how to deal with most of them.

That pretty much sums up my attitude and why I don't have many absolutes when diving. To go back to the reg example - my second fix might not have worked but say the reg had then completely failed I was comfortable that my response to this would not have jepordised my safety so I saw no reason to cancel the dive at that point. I could give other examples of similiar situations too but I won't go there in this thread. :)

I think there is a lot of value though, in practicing responses to common failures as this gives you a better ground in which to respond to the less common failures.

So my Freedom plate came today :). Harness, wing, etc. next week :(

The plate does feel lovely but of course no idea how it will perform til I get the rest and get into the pool.

But it does look pretty and having shoved it up my jumper and walked round the office with it, it does feel very ergonomic. Will report back once other stuff arrives and post pool session.

I may well need your help, dear friends and readers, when it comes to constructing/threading it all together. But Jeez I can' t wait to get that damn poodle off my back :D

Thanks for all your kind comments and helpful advice - appreciated.

J

Photos! Photos! :D

Freedom plate (via UPS) is here but other package is coming via USPS so check back here next Christmas :)

Seriously though, hopefully should be here end next week, week after. The postage & packaging and import duty I'm paying on this is pretty hefty - I'm thinking the final figure will be $350+ for the whole gig. Barf. Oh well, it'll be worth it.

And the photos will come then. Although I could already send a video of my 'flying' the plate around the office... but I'll spare you the tediousness and myself the indignity :D

J

Back
Top Bottom