Disturbing experience at dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding the change by the shop owner.
Were you charged for the unused BO?
If yes. the owner wanted to get more free helium for himself or to resell it to another future diver...went through that :(
Is that shop not in the country starting with a "p"?

So you are planning a 400 footer and some one you have never drove with asks hey can I join you ? And you agree?
At no point did I say I had never dived with the guy, as I have on many occasions.

Definitely curious to hear what the guy's explanation is after you talk to him.

Possible that the manager just misunderstood what the owner told him?

I cannot even imagine changing someone else's mixes without talking to them first. Not sure I could see diving with someone that would do that to me, either. What else are they going to just assume they know better than me about...

Again, in my total ignorance, part of my goal was A) getting to less helium faster, and B) putting less pressure on getting to the first switch before I completely run out to gas! Plus the ICD. I’d certainly understand 30/30 as a replacement for EAN32, but it doesn’t take the pressure off that first bottle.

Is ICD one of those “it’s an issue, but not as much as the book makes it to be” kind of issues? Like, say, “1.4 is safe, 1.41 is *not*” kind of things? :)
In the 0-100 foot range, IBCD isn't a "thing" that its sometimes made to be. There are so many successful 15/55 to 70% switches made day after day its ridiculous to plan for a 1 in a million rarity that somehow, someway, there's some funky IBCD quirk that is going to bite you there.

There is a risk going to air at extreme depths which was done in the past (Exley era). But if you keep your ENDs and EADs reasonable (for other valid reason) this is avoided. There is also a similar phenomenon going to 100% in the inner ear. Debilitating as it can be, its more a case of rapid offgassing than IBCD.

Definitely curious to hear what the guy's explanation is after you talk to him.

Possible that the manager just misunderstood what the owner told him?

I cannot even imagine changing someone else's mixes without talking to them first. Not sure I could see diving with someone that would do that to me, either. What else are they going to just assume they know better than me about...
I posted this thread with the hope that I had missed something and was judging him too harshly. Unfortunately neither I nor anyone responding to this thread has been able to come up with a better explanation so I am forced to make some disturbing assumptions about my friend. When I first spoke to him about it he went on a rant about his liability as shop owner but without any plausible explanation. I am now going to talk to him about this having taken some time to mull it over. The fact that the manager wrote down my gas request at the time makes me pretty confident there was no misunderstanding.

In the 0-100 foot range, IBCD isn't a "thing" that its sometimes made to be. There are so many successful 15/55 to 70% switches made day after day its ridiculous to plan for a 1 in a million rarity that somehow, someway, there's some funky IBCD quirk that is going to bite you there.

Noted. Thank you all for answering my question. So it seems that it's a thing, but proper END management prevents it from being as much of an issue as it used to be.

And thank you for commenting on use of a line. It was informative to see that there are reasons why a line might not be available (hot drop/pickup), and the fact that others agreed that my idea was not immediately a dumb idea... :)

The answers to my questions clearly show that there's a great deal going on that I'm just completely unaware of, and my naive questions aren't really on-topic anyway, so I'm going to stay out of the way. Thank you for your patience, and I appreciate the information!

I posted this thread with the hope that I had missed something and was judging him too harshly. Unfortunately neither I nor anyone responding to this thread has been able to come up with a better explanation so I am forced to make some disturbing assumptions about my friend. When I first spoke to him about it he went on a rant about his liability as shop owner but without any plausible explanation. I am now going to talk to him about this having taken some time to mull it over. The fact that the manager wrote down my gas request at the time makes me pretty confident there was no misunderstanding.

Yeahhhh.... It seems to me that he added a crap-ton of liability for himself by messing with your mixes without your knowledge or consent...

I wasn't wondering so much about if the manager misunderstood your request. I was wondering if the manager misunderstood what the owner told him about the changes to your mixes. Also, I only just caught that you DID talk to the owner about it at the time. I will still be curious to hear about a follow-up conversation.

We had a minor incident today that involved a bailout coming back up from a shallower depth than 400'. Everyone was fine and there's nothing else to say except that I stand by my statement that an intermediate mix suitable for use starting at 220' is appropriate and necessary for silly deep stuff. 400' to 120' on a single 80 is pushing your margins.

We had a minor incident today that involved a bailout coming back up from a shallower depth than 400'. Everyone was fine and there's nothing else to say except that I stand by my statement that an intermediate mix suitable for use starting at 220' is appropriate and necessary for silly deep stuff. 400' to 120' on a single 80 is pushing your margins.
what's your 220 mix @kensuf ? 21/35?

Back
Top Bottom