Disturbing experience at dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Recently I was diving in a warm destination doing some pretty deep dives. These dives require we carry 3 al80 bailouts with trimix and deco gas.
I have been dealing with the same shop for a while and the service has been great. As with all my deep diving I work up from shallower to deeper over the course of a few days. The manager of the shop who is excellent BTW, takes my gas requirements for the following day and the next morning they are always waiting for us ready to analyse.
After a day of diving I gave my gas line up requirement to the manager (not the owner) for the following day,
Then the owner of the shop comes up and says "mind if I join you guys tomorrow" I say sure, he is RB certified for the type of diving we were doing (so I thought). I go get showered and changed and plan to meet my dive buddy back at the shop then go for supper. Back at the shop the manager tells me the owner has changed the gas line up significantly. (I might have said some expletives at this point), I questioned him about it and he said that when I dive with him, he is liable and he chose the gases he would use. I said I was quite upset about his arbitrary substitution and I would rather he didn't dive with us and revert back to my original choices.
It was after my buddy and I completed a very enjoyable deep dive and I ran some numbers on multideco did I begin to realise the impact if we had not challenged his gas substitution. He had substituted an intermediate deco mix of 32% nitrox with a trimix 12/55!!! (On what planet is that a sane choice?) This would have resulted in an additional 55 minutes on bailout and required 136 cuft of intermediate bailout gas vs 64cuft on my plan. We we carrying 80s so I would have needed an extra tank to make it home on bailout!
I have not spoken to the owner since I came to this realisation since that was my last day there and he was away from the shop the next day.
I want to talk to him about this as I consider him a friend but I am so puzzled and angry I don't even know where to begin. One of my first thoughts is that although he is an OC trimix instructor he may not actually have the CCR knowledge to understand what the consequences of his actions could have been. Can anyone experienced in CCR trimix suggest a plausible reason for making such a switch?

Recently I was diving in a warm destination doing some pretty deep dives. These dives require we carry 3 al80 bailouts with trimix and deco gas.
I have been dealing with the same shop for a while and the service has been great. As with all my deep diving I work up from shallower to deeper over the course of a few days. The manager of the shop who is excellent BTW, takes my gas requirements for the following day and the next morning they are always waiting for us ready to analyse.
After a day of diving I gave my gas line up requirement to the manager (not the owner) for the following day,
Then the owner of the shop comes up and says "mind if I join you guys tomorrow" I say sure, he is RB certified for the type of diving we were doing (so I thought). I go get showered and changed and plan to meet my dive buddy back at the shop then go for supper. Back at the shop the manager tells me the owner has changed the gas line up significantly. (I might have said some expletives at this point), I questioned him about it and he said that when I dive with him, he is liable and he chose the gases he would use. I said I was quite upset about his arbitrary substitution and I would rather he didn't dive with us and revert back to my original choices.
It was after my buddy and I completed a very enjoyable deep dive and I ran some numbers on multideco did I begin to realise the impact if we had not challenged his gas substitution. He had substituted an intermediate deco mix of 32% nitrox with a trimix 12/55!!! (On what planet is that a sane choice?) This would have resulted in an additional 55 minutes on bailout and required 136 cuft of intermediate bailout gas vs 64cuft on my plan. We we carrying 80s so I would have needed an extra tank to make it home on bailout!
I have not spoken to the owner since I came to this realisation since that was my last day there and he was away from the shop the next day.
I want to talk to him about this as I consider him a friend but I am so puzzled and angry I don't even know where to begin. One of my first thoughts is that although he is an OC trimix instructor he may not actually have the CCR knowledge to understand what the consequences of his actions could have been. Can anyone experienced in CCR trimix suggest a plausible reason for making such a switch?
12/55 as a deco gas? Thats bananas.

12/55 as dil or a bottom bailout? Ok sure.

What were the rest of his gases?

12/55 as a deco gas? Thats bananas.

12/55 as dil or a bottom bailout? Ok sure.

What were the rest of his gases?

the other gases are likely not germane to the discussion and I hate to get off track here but suffice to say 12/55 would have been too hot for the bottom bailout gas.

He’s your friend, educate him....

the other gases are likely not germane to the discussion and I hate to get off track here but suffice to say 12/55 would have been too hot for the bottom bailout gas.

"Hey guys can anyone explain this gas choice? Its top secret though and I cant give you any more information. I am very important and doing very secret dives."

Okay.

not experienced in CCR trimix, but it doesn't make sense on OC trimix either

Can you give the dive profile and your gas choices, then all of what he said for gas mixes?

since these details seem important to people :

depth 425
dil 8/70
1st bailout 10/70
2nd bailout 32%
3rd bailout 80%

store owner simply for no apparent reason replaced my 32% with 12/55

seriously you went there?
peace out
sadly posting here was a mistake
I think you could possibly get some different takes or opinions on the matter, but being all secretive isn't going to help. "Suffice to say 12/55 would be too hot" just reeks of a "look at me I dive really deep" post.

since these details seem important to people :

depth 425
dil 8/70
1st bailout 10/70
2nd bailout 32%
3rd bailout 80%

store owner simply for no apparent reason replaced my 32% with 12/55
Was the 12/55 meant to replace the 10/70? Its a 1.6 at 425, which is a lil' rich for my taste but I guess not totally wild.

Then nothing all the way up to 80%?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom