Discovery Channel SCUBA SURVIVOR STORIES

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Hart:
I'm producing for a Discovery Channel story and am looking for a great
SCUBA survivor story. Preferably, the story would be about a diver who got
left behind or an equally impelling survivor tale. We are going to have a person re-enact the surviving tale. Some great stories on these threads
but need to contact the divers directly! If you have a story please email
me at bestofcali2003@yahoo.com If your story is selected we would like to interview on camera.

Jame Hart
Here is a good story for you James.
http://www.scubaboard.com/t61189-scuba-diving-dream-for-md-patient-on-a-ventilator.html

you can email Matt at roadrunnermatt@yahoo.com
here is his website www.scubadivingdream.com

XJae:
Damn! That's a good idea!!

I'll email Mr Hart with your suggestion. :thumb:

<Edit> This is what I sent...
You came to us looking for survivor stories along the lines of that dumb movie, and the reactions have been unfavorable.

However, here is a Survivor story worth covering: Matt The Wonder Boy, who is now on staff at ScubaBoard has a wonderful story about a MD patient hell-bent-for-leather set on Scuba diving.

http://scubaboard.com/t77588-matt_the_wonder_boy.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/t61189-sc...ventilator.html

you can email Matt at roadrunnermatt@yahoo.com

here is his website www.scubadivingdream.com

If I can help with this, email me here, or contact me as DandyDon at ScubaBoard.com

thanks, don

Hi Don...

Yeah I work for Discovery and can confirm that most producers are independent contractors and not directly employed by Discovery Channel. This is probably legit. I can try looking it up, but there's no reason to doubt the guy.

Discovery often tries to tie it's programming with movies or current events. Note the rash of volcano shows whipped together the moment Mount Saint Helens rumbled this fall.

As far as fearmongering goes, I share your opinion of that but for whatever reason it just seems to be the name of the game right now. I think I'm going to do a show called "You're Gonna Die." It will just be an hour of "expert" opinions arguing whether the killer quake, mega tsunami, monster volcano or asteroid will get us first. Before each commercial break it will say ... "you're gonna die...stay tuned to find out how."

LeFlaneur:
Hi Don...

Yeah I work for Discovery and can confirm that most producers are independent contractors and not directly employed by Discovery Channel. This is probably legit. I can try looking it up, but there's no reason to doubt the guy.

Discovery often tries to tie it's programming with movies or current events. Note the rash of volcano shows whipped together the moment Mount Saint Helens rumbled this fall.

As far as fearmongering goes, I share your opinion of that but for whatever reason it just seems to be the name of the game right now. I think I'm going to do a show called "You're Gonna Die." It will just be an hour of "expert" opinions arguing whether the killer quake, mega tsunami, monster volcano or asteroid will get us first. Before each commercial break it will say ... "you're gonna die...stay tuned to find out how."
There's a heavy populated valley down from Mt.St.Helen I think it is - with signs marking Volcano-Mud Slide Escape Route. On the back of each sign, facing the opposite route, are signs saying: Tsunami Esacpe Route. But they really think that they'll airrive at the same time. :laughing:

Hello. My last name is Metz, but I will not divulge my first name in order to preserve my anonimity. My tale is both terrifying and shocking, it is not for the faint of heart.
It all started out like any other November dive at an undisclosed location. The boat arrived on site exactly on time, and after the pre-dive brief we geared up a set out into the 78 degree water. Max depth was 65' and we were on a 36 mix. My buddy was pretty good on gas consumption, and before I knew it we were 55 minutes into the dive. I signaled time and we began our ascent. I dive quite a so I like to be a little extra cautious with my ascents... I like about 10'/ min. I was passing through 53' when it happened. I was chilly.
The dive had been interesting and several large turtles had occupied my attention for much of the dive. I had failed to pick up on the subtle warning signs... slight discomfort, a feeling of coldness, having to pee. My 3mm wetsuit wasn't enough, and I was still over 50' below the surface.
I tried to keep a level head, to think through the situation. At 57 minutes I was coming up on 30', but I still had a safety stop ahead of me. I calculated at the rate I was losing heat that I probably had less than 36 hours before hypothermia started to cloud my thinking. I had to act fast. I signaled to my buddy that I was peeing, but he was playing with some almost invisible jellyfish or really small thing in the water column and I couln't get his attention. With two minutes to go on the hang, I was out of pee and in real trouble. Voiding my bladder cleared the path for some gas that had developed at depth and a 65' fart rumbled out at 15'. My buddy searched in all directions for the source of the noise until he saw a stream of bubbles flowing out the neck of my wetsuit. I gave him the it's cold signal, and he nodded. We continued our stop, knowing that with every passing second our core temperatures were dwindling. Finally, 3 minutes ticked off and we continued our ascent at an agonizingly slow rate. Then, surface. Warmth, the sun shining. The boat was waiting for us and picked us up immediately. "It's cold" we said.
In spite of this experience, I still dive. I have a passion for it. I learned an important lesson that day though... 78 degrees is 7mm weather.

I signaled to my buddy that I was peeing...
Would you have a illustration of that hand signal? :blush:

I was in that same ocean in Novemer. It was wet! I hope I didn't hit your urincline.

:rofl:

Scubakevdm:
Hello. My last name is Metz, but I will not divulge my first name in order to preserve my anonimity. My tale is both terrifying and shocking, it is not for the faint of heart.
It all started out like any other November dive at an undisclosed location. The boat arrived on site exactly on time, and after the pre-dive brief we geared up a set out into the 78 degree water. Max depth was 65' and we were on a 36 mix. My buddy was pretty good on gas consumption, and before I knew it we were 55 minutes into the dive. I signaled time and we began our ascent. I dive quite a so I like to be a little extra cautious with my ascents... I like about 10'/ min. I was passing through 53' when it happened. I was chilly.
The dive had been interesting and several large turtles had occupied my attention for much of the dive. I had failed to pick up on the subtle warning signs... slight discomfort, a feeling of coldness, having to pee. My 3mm wetsuit wasn't enough, and I was still over 50' below the surface.
I tried to keep a level head, to think through the situation. At 57 minutes I was coming up on 30', but I still had a safety stop ahead of me. I calculated at the rate I was losing heat that I probably had less than 36 hours before hypothermia started to cloud my thinking. I had to act fast. I signaled to my buddy that I was peeing, but he was playing with some almost invisible jellyfish or really small thing in the water column and I couln't get his attention. With two minutes to go on the hang, I was out of pee and in real trouble. Voiding my bladder cleared the path for some gas that had developed at depth and a 65' fart rumbled out at 15'. My buddy searched in all directions for the source of the noise until he saw a stream of bubbles flowing out the neck of my wetsuit. I gave him the it's cold signal, and he nodded. We continued our stop, knowing that with every passing second our core temperatures were dwindling. Finally, 3 minutes ticked off and we continued our ascent at an agonizingly slow rate. Then, surface. Warmth, the sun shining. The boat was waiting for us and picked us up immediately. "It's cold" we said.
In spite of this experience, I still dive. I have a passion for it. I learned an important lesson that day though... 78 degrees is 7mm weather.

DandyDon:
Would you have a illustration of that hand signal? :blush:
I'm sorry, you'll just have to wait for the made for TV movie. Discovery better hurry up... FOX is busting down my door for it.

Scubakevdm:
With two minutes to go on the hang, I was out of pee and in real trouble. Voiding my bladder cleared the path for some gas that had developed at depth and a 65' fart rumbled out at 15'. My buddy searched in all directions for the source of the noise until he saw a stream of bubbles flowing out the neck of my wetsuit.

Oh, that was good! Thanks for the laugh Kev.

:lol3: :35:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom