Trip Report Disappointing Experience on the Turks and Caicos Explorer II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buster243

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Trip Dates May 24 to Jun 1

We were eagerly anticipating our trip on the Turks and Caicos Explorer II, but unfortunately, it fell short of our expectations. Many of the dive sites were disappointing. Visibility was poor for the Caribbean, often no more than 50 feet, and sometimes we couldn't even see the ship unless it was directly above us. While visibility is out of their control, the selection of dive sites was also lacking. Our first dive near Turks showed promise with decent marine life and slightly better visibility. However, upon moving to West Caicos, visibility deteriorated, and there was a noticeable lack of larger marine life. Although we did encounter some larger creatures, the sites did not compare favorably to other liveaboards, even within the Explorer Ventures fleet. Rumors suggested a hurricane had impacted the sites, but if true, the operators should have moved to other locations, given the abundance of options available. It seemed they stayed close to save fuel, as the sites were only a few hundred yards apart.

The boat itself is older and showing signs of wear and tear. Many things were damaged or in need of repair. Given its age, repairs are probably a constant necessity, making it difficult to keep everything in top shape. Our room was small but typical for liveaboards. However, our bed linens were not changed throughout the week, and our towels were only replaced mid-week.

The food on board was plentiful and generally good, though some dishes felt too fancy for a dive boat, such as couscous and unusual soups like spinach and carrot. While some guests seemed to enjoy the meals, we would have preferred more comfort foods like vegetable soup, baked chicken, or turkey and dressing. Thankfully, the menu did shift towards more comforting options towards the end of the week.

The dive area was adequate but not ideal. The camera area was semi-exposed to rain, and the charging station was inconveniently located under the dive table. We opted to use the other charging stations inside instead.

A significant concern was the additional costs at the end of the trip. Even though we knew before hand there were extra charges, each of us incurred around $800 in extra charges for fuel, taxes, park fees, and tips. The purser manually recorded our credit card information, which felt outdated and very insecure. Despite having Skylink-type internet onboard, they don’t use it for online payment processing. Ideally, they should bill everything except tips the week before the trip. Internet access for passengers was not available, even though it could be offered for a fee with limited use for emails.

The crew was adequate but not exceptional. No one stood out as making the trip memorable. We have over 500 dives each and can distinguish excellent dive masters from mediocre ones. Some crew members barely interacted with guests.

We won’t be returning to Turks and Caicos for diving unless the dive sites improve. There are much better places to invest your money.
20240529_175234.jpg

I think he means simpler foods. I've seen resorts overdo it on fancy stuff that 10% of people appreciate, and then come up short on food for the 90%.

Generally I'm a touch overweight before an expedition. Could fast for the whole week, as far as I'm concerned. So I'd be bummed about the vis. Heck even that pic, has mid vis.

You paid for a team to pick better dive sights than amateurs could. So yeah, I'd be upset too.

@buster243 I was on this boat several years ago and had a great time. The crew was engaged, the meals were very good and the diving was memorable. I do not recall any maintenance issues with the boat.

But things change, of course, and I hope you have provided the same feedback to the company. Do update us if you get a response.

@buster243 I was on this boat several years ago and had a great time. The crew was engaged, the meals were very good and the diving was memorable. I do not recall any maintenance issues with the boat.

But things change, of course, and I hope you have provided the same feedback to the company. Do update us if you get a response.
Yes, the company got this same review. I only said what we thought. I am sure there were others that were happy with everything. We have just seen better.

I think he means simpler foods. I've seen resorts overdo it on fancy stuff that 10% of people appreciate, and then come up short on food for the 90%.

Generally I'm a touch overweight before an expedition. Could fast for the whole week, as far as I'm concerned. So I'd be bummed about the vis. Heck even that pic, has mid vis.

You paid for a team to pick better dive sights than amateurs could. So yeah, I'd be upset too.
Yes, simpler fare would be better. It felt like they were trying to be a 5-star restaurant, which they were not. Most people on the boat were Americans, and I think no one complained because the menu stays the same every week, so no one has said anything. We didn't starve, but the food was strange and definitely not 5-star quality.

We have travelled quite a bit so I have to admit that when we are away from home we purposely do not seek out anything that resembles North American home cooking/comfort food. But I appreciate and respect that our experiences and expectations are going to be different.

Why do you think you weren't at the best sites available?
What reason would there be to not bring you to better sites if available?
Why do you think there were an "abundance of options available" ?

Sorry to hear the trip was disappointing. We have had some great diving on our trips to Provo. I would not give up on the destination based upon one week.

Hi @buster243

My son and I did a land-based trip to Providenciales several years and had many very good dives off West Caicos. In our week visit, we visited 11 different dive sites off West Caicos and did 2 of the better ones twice. We did not dive off Northwest Point and did not make it to French Cay during our visit. We saw Reef Sharks, Nurse Sharks, Southern Rays on most dives as well as the usual reef fish. I have been thinking of returning to T&C and taking one of the two liveaboards to significantly increase the number of dives. The long trip out to West Caicos from Providenciales generally limits dives to 2 per day.

Your description of the diving is depressing. Did you make it to French Cay on your trip? SCTD and coral bleaching have affected many Caribbean locations. In addition, T&C had Hurricane Fiona in Sept. 2022

Back
Top Bottom