Trip Report Disappointing Experience on the Turks and Caicos Explorer II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

did i read the part right that you incurred $800usd EACH in extra charges ?? how could there be that much that you were not expecting? pls explain.

did i read the part right that you incurred $800usd EACH in extra charges ?? how could there be that much that you were not expecting? pls explain.
For reference, the current list of charges follows below.

M/V TURKS & CAICOS EXPLORER II, PROVIDENCIALES, TURKS & CAICOS​

• Hotel Tax and Port Fees: US$95 per person
  • Fuel Surcharge: US$160 per person
  • Crew gratuities, dive instruction, dive gear rental (other than tanks, weights and weight belts), Nitrox (US$10 per fill or US$150 per week) and retail sales
  • Although we do help arrange transfers to/from the boat they are not included in the package price and currently run US$45 for up to two people (each way) and US$25 per person thereafter.

so other than the tip amount (which is not disclosed) that doesnt come anywhere near 800

so other than the tip amount (which is not disclosed) that doesnt come anywhere near 800
8%-10% of cruise price would would not be unusual in my experience, which could easily be $300 per person. It can be a shock if you were not expecting to spend it, even if it is not _strictly_ required. Nothing specific to this liveaboard, I think even the few (one?) European run liveaboards I've been on have had an expectation of fairly generous tipping. Or maybe I'm just the sucker :D.

We opted to use the other charging stations inside instead.
You didn't charge Lithium batteries inside I hope.
Just saying

then from the info that has been posted i am not sure why the op was caught off guard about the extra fees.

25 nitrox dives - $150
Crew Tip Minimum $300
Fuel $160
Port Fee $95
Transfers $45
T-Shirt $35

Looks like $800 to me, $750 for the wife.

agreed. as i said....without the tip it was not 800. then someone posted above that the tip might be a few hundred. so i dont know why the op made it sound like they were caught off guard.

Does it matter. He was surprised. So be it.

Does it matter. He was surprised. So be it.
Well...the OP's original comments were: "A significant concern was the additional costs at the end of the trip. Even though we knew before hand there were extra charges, each of us incurred around $800 in extra charges for fuel, taxes, park fees, and tips."

It is not clear whether the OP was surprised or regretted not having read all the available information regarding the standard fees.

Sure, none of this really matters. But when someone is unhappy with and criticizes an operator it is important to have some clear context to ensure that others can make informed decisions on where they spend their hard earned cash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom