Trip Report Disappointing Experience on the Turks and Caicos Explorer II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do these operators just include everything in their price (maybe except tips) so there's no chance of any surprises?

Why do these operators just include everything in their price (maybe except tips) so there's no chance of any surprises?
As a liveaboard operator, I have direct experience with this.

When I owned 2 liveaboards (with an equal partner), we had one boat that had 10 fewer people, an extra head, drinks and beer included in the price, nitrox included in the price, but aside from that identical boats.

The boat that had the lower advertised price by far got the most bookings. Even though they went to the same destination, did the same number of dives, and one was a la carte and one was all inclusive, the a la carte boat did far better than the all inclusive boat.

Hi @buster243

My son and I did a land-based trip to Providenciales several years and had many very good dives off West Caicos. In our week visit, we visited 11 different dive sites off West Caicos and did 2 of the better ones twice. We did not dive off Northwest Point and did not make it to French Cay during our visit. We saw Reef Sharks, Nurse Sharks, Southern Rays on most dives as well as the usual reef fish. I have been thinking of returning to T&C and taking one of the two liveaboards to significantly increase the number of dives. The long trip out to West Caicos from Providenciales generally limits dives to 2 per day.

Your description of the diving is depressing. Did you make it to French Cay on your trip? SCTD and coral bleaching have affected many Caribbean locations. In addition, T&C had Hurricane Fiona in Sept. 2022
We did make it to French Cay, and while there was marine life (we did see a few Reef Sharks, Nurse Sharks and a rays), it wasn't as abundant as we've encountered in other Caribbean locations such as Cozumel or Roatan, which we visited just this past January. The dives on the west side of West Caicos were limited to sites only a few hundred feet apart, which we suspect was due to fuel cost savings—despite the fact that we paid a premium for fuel. These close sites, it seemed we were seeing some of the same sharks as on the last dive site...we know one reef shark (because of a blemish in his skin) was following the ship.

Some divers onboard may have enjoyed these dive sites (we did here a few complaints from others on board), but as seasoned divers (over 500 dives) with extensive experience across global dive sites, our expectations are shaped by our exposure to numerous exceptional locations. For instance, our experience on the same company’s St. Kitts/Saba ship last September offered significantly superior dive sites, even though we lost an entire day of diving due to a hurricane 150 miles away.

In conclusion, while French Cay and West Caicos may provide some decent diving opportunities, they may not stand out to divers accustomed to more vibrant and diverse marine environments. This trip reinforced the importance of setting realistic expectations and understanding the logistics that influence dive operations. Remember this is only our review, next week it could be totally different for the next divers.

As a liveaboard operator, I have direct experience with this.

When I owned 2 liveaboards (with an equal partner), we had one boat that had 10 fewer people, an extra head, drinks and beer included in the price, nitrox included in the price, but aside from that identical boats.

The boat that had the lower advertised price by far got the most bookings. Even though they went to the same destination, did the same number of dives, and one was a la carte and one was all inclusive, the a la carte boat did far better than the all inclusive boat.
Before we left the States, we were aware of some of these costs, but we couldn't understand why we couldn't settle at least part the bill a week in advance from home. We assume it might be due to tax issues. However, carrying large sums of cash is risky these days. What if we get robbed?

It's simply impractical and unsafe in today's world to ask people to carry huge amounts of cash with no recourse if it gets stolen. Credit cards, on the other hand, are easy to replace and offer better security. This experience highlighted the need for more modern and secure payment methods on liveaboards.

Why do you think you weren't at the best sites available?
What reason would there be to not bring you to better sites if available?
Why do you think there were an "abundance of options available" ?
During our trip, we missed out on exploring the dive sites in Grand Turk, South Caicos, and Salt Cay, each of which boasts multiple well known dive spots. Despite the abundance of sites available, our itinerary didn't include any of these areas. Interestingly, the crew had visited nearly all of these sites we did the previous week and were well aware of the reef conditions and marine life.

The only reason we can deduce for not changing locations was to save on fuel costs. This decision was particularly disappointing given the premium we paid for the trip, and it felt like a missed opportunity to experience some of the best diving Turks and Caicos has to offer.

We have travelled quite a bit so I have to admit that when we are away from home we purposely do not seek out anything that resembles North American home cooking/comfort food. But I appreciate and respect that our experiences and expectations are going to be different.
When we're at home celebrating, visiting Europe or on large cruise ships, we appreciate the upscale dining experiences they offer. However, we found it puzzling to be served gourmet cuisine on a dive boat. It would have made more sense if they had served local food from Turks and Caicos or other Caribbean islands. Even if we didn't particularly enjoy it, we would have understood and appreciated the cultural context.

It's not that the food was terrible; it was just an unusual choice for a dive trip, and it felt out of place. We felt like they were trying to make sort of statement or maybe trying to win an award. We expected simpler, more regionally inspired meals, which would have better complemented our diving adventure.

During our trip, we missed out on exploring the dive sites in Grand Turk, South Caicos, and Salt Cay, each of which boasts multiple well known dive spots. Despite the abundance of sites available, our itinerary didn't include any of these areas. Interestingly, the crew had visited nearly all of these sites we did the previous week and were well aware of the reef conditions and marine life.

The only reason we can deduce for not changing locations was to save on fuel costs. This decision was particularly disappointing given the premium we paid for the trip, and it felt like a missed opportunity to experience some of the best diving Turks and Caicos has to offer.
Grand Turk, South Caicos, and Salt Cay are only dived on special itineraries. This is clearly stated on the Explorer Ventures webite

@buster243 I was on this boat several years ago and had a great time. The crew was engaged, the meals were very good and the diving was memorable. I do not recall any maintenance issues with the boat.

But things change, of course, and I hope you have provided the same feedback to the company. Do update us if you get a response.
We shared this review with the company because we believe it's important for others to hear about our experience. Reviews are crucial for making informed decisions. For context, last year I gave this same company mostly glowing reviews for a similar type of ship. Although it was older, it was better maintained.

This time, we noticed issues like holes in doors and hinges that needed replacing—things that shouldn't be our responsibility to point out, especially at the beginning of the season. We provide feedback, both positive and negative, to help others make informed choices.

Grand Turk, South Caicos, and Salt Cay are only dived on special itineraries. This is clearly stated on the Explorer Ventures webite
It also states they can change dive sites at anytime, without notice.

It also states they can change dive sites at anytime, without notice.
Oh come on now, you know that is not what they mean. They are not going to change the itinerary from Providenciales/West Caicos/French Cay to Grand Turk/South Caicos/Salt Cay. Your review started out fine, it became rather ridiculous

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom