Disappointed with Florida Key Dive Operations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive California

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Disappointed with Florida Key Dive Operations:confused:

Just returned from the Florida Keys…arrived last week, started at Dive Shop in Islamorada (Holiday Isle Resort Dive Shop) arrived at 7:30 AM and waited until 09:10 AM before somebody finally showed up. They advertised that they run daily trips at 9:00 AM and to be at shop by 8:30 AM. Now the day was sunny with no wind. She explained that she was sorry for being late and that the boats already went out from another dive shop. Asked if they were going out for the afternoon dive and she said no, but recommended other dive shops. Went to five additional shops between Islamorada and Ramrod Key…could not find anybody that was going out.

The next day found shop in Big Pine Key (Strike Zone Charters Inc.) going to Looe Key Reef…had heard that this was the best diving in the lower keys, so signed up and went out with Larry (Captain and Instructor). Can not believe how he treated experience diver, had informed him that I was active Instructor and dove in California between 4-5 days per week. The dive site was 10-25 feet and I was treated like I was a new diver who had 15 dives under my belt. Larry tried to get me to wear twice the weight I wanted, saying that my weight (8 lbs) wasn’t enough (as it turned out I was still 1 lb over weighted).

Hint to Larry and “other” dive operators out there when an experience Instructor comes out to dive with your operation. I get asked by my students all the time for recommendations on which dive shops to dive with when they go on vacations…I (we) influence lots of potential customers. I would not; will not; can not; recommend these types of dive operations to my students. When you recommend to divers how much weight to carry (and they listen to you) and sometimes happens because they’re over weighted, you can be liable. Give respect to experience divers, especially when they come from and dive experienced waters like California and you’re located somewhere that is considered easy diving (like the Florida waters).

So, tell me that not all dive operators in the Keys are like this and please explain why nobody (dive shops) wanted to go out diving when the weather was nice. There are so many dive shops down there, seemed like every mile there was a dive shop.

There are so many dive operations there I'm not surprised there are some duds. Sorry you had a bad experience. I've only been to Key Largo and use Ocean Divers (heading down this weekend, in fact). They run larger boats, but if you don't mind that all the staff are top-notch and very professional. They are one of the oldest (if not the oldest) down there.

Sorry you had a bad time down here, but please don't lump all dive operations into one bucket. There are a lot of good dive operations down here that don't treat experience divers like rookies. Can't explain why the dive shops you visited were not going out, as we had dives everyday last week.

If you ever consider coming to the area again, here's a website that you can look at to see REAL-TIME what dives for several shops here. They indicate what dive site they are going to and how many spots are available. Scubaocity's REAL-TIME Dive Search It just might help to ensure the dive is going out that day. Most operators require at least two divers to go out, myself included.

Again I'm sorry you had a bad experience here, please if there is anything I can do or questions I can answer, don't hesitate to contact me.

Good Diving,

Don't let your ego get the best of you, Dude. The Captain, DM or instructor on the boat has no idea what your background is, or cares, and are watching out for your safety and trying to cover their ***. As far as over-weighting recommendations I've gone through that for years. One lady instructor/DM who worked for a shop on Islamorada had the idea that I only needed 12-14# of lead at 180 pounds weight and kept trying to get me to go with that. Of course I needed 16-18#, depending on the depth of the dive and knew it. So to make her happy I faked the 12-14# and dove with 16-18# many times to her delight. She didn't take into consideration that a guy who was 68 at the time had a high fat to muscle ration different than the usual young, slim diver. We called her the weight Nazi. These boat people have to deal with a gang of different divers every day and have ideas for what folks are supposed to do. Just like the speech that the captain and DM gives before the dive. Though I have heard it over 200 times I listen anyway. So don't get your panties all bunched up because they are treating you like a beginner. You will be complaining to the choir who has been through it before.

Disappointed with Florida Key Dive Operations:confused:

Just returned from the Florida Keys…arrived last week, started at Dive Shop in Islamorada (Holiday Isle Resort Dive Shop) arrived at 7:30 AM and waited until 09:10 AM before somebody finally showed up. They advertised that they run daily trips at 9:00 AM and to be at shop by 8:30 AM. Now the day was sunny with no wind. She explained that she was sorry for being late and that the boats already went out from another dive shop. Asked if they were going out for the afternoon dive and she said no, but recommended other dive shops. Went to five additional shops between Islamorada and Ramrod Key…could not find anybody that was going out.

The next day found shop in Big Pine Key (Strike Zone Charters Inc.) going to Looe Key Reef…had heard that this was the best diving in the lower keys, so signed up and went out with Larry (Captain and Instructor). Can not believe how he treated experience diver, had informed him that I was active Instructor and dove in California between 4-5 days per week. The dive site was 10-25 feet and I was treated like I was a new diver who had 15 dives under my belt. Larry tried to get me to wear twice the weight I wanted, saying that my weight (8 lbs) wasn’t enough (as it turned out I was still 1 lb over weighted).

Hint to Larry and “other” dive operators out there when an experience Instructor comes out to dive with your operation. I get asked by my students all the time for recommendations on which dive shops to dive with when they go on vacations…I (we) influence lots of potential customers. I would not; will not; can not; recommend these types of dive operations to my students. When you recommend to divers how much weight to carry (and they listen to you) and sometimes happens because they’re over weighted, you can be liable. Give respect to experience divers, especially when they come from and dive experienced waters like California and you’re located somewhere that is considered easy diving (like the Florida waters).

So, tell me that not all dive operators in the Keys are like this and please explain why nobody (dive shops) wanted to go out diving when the weather was nice. There are so many dive shops down there, seemed like every mile there was a dive shop.

Of course all the shops run daily charters.. on days when they have scheduled a dive. It is disappointing to hear that a DM would treat an instructor who identified himself as such, as a "tourist", but on the other hand... a dive professional should know to use a phone and call and make reservations a few days before a trip. I mean come on, seriously, you just expected to show up and dive during the week?

Sorry you had those issues. Seems like some basic conversation, observation, questions and answers (like you had) would reduce the amount of concern by a boat captain. I have been fortunate enough not to have them even with the worst operator I have been out with. I have had great trips with Silent World and Conch Republic (Captain Gary above). Try them next time.

Dive California, I'm sorry your experience wasn't what it could have been. Strike Zone enjoys a very good reputation as a dive operator. I can make no excuses for them as I wasn't there, nor do I have any personal experience with them, but as an instructor myself, I haven't been treated like that anywhere I've dived in the Keys. One of the problems I see here is that there are so many unqualified certified divers that the operators are very leery of what any diver tells them. More than once I've seen quarry instructors with hundreds of dives in their logbook show up on the boat without a clue about how to weight themselves or how to trim in salt water. Usually once the Captain/DM sees that the diver actually knows something they are left alone for the day.

dumpsterDiver does have a point about just showing up at a dive shop. If the operator has no customers, they are not likely to be on time, or even show up for work. :) You will be much more likely to try a trip midweek with a bigger operator. Those operators include most in Key West, most in Key Largo, and of course CRD in Tavernier and Key Dives in Islamorada.

If he had called Conch Republic you can do exactly that. Experienced it myself. I would just have made it plain to the Captain that you appreciate his suggestion but see no reason to pay any mind to it Same with a DM that wants to over or under weight you. Just tell them thanks but to keep their opinions to themselves. If someone would decide not to follow the offered advice it is no big deal. Even if they got hurt as they are a certified diver and supposedly able to take care of themselves. And on the bright side if they don't Darwin will.

But from the other side of the coin the captain may have had more than a few zero to hero instructors who should not have been. He doesn't know you from Adam. Give him some credit for trying to keep you from killing yourself. And did you even show him an instructor card or try to elaborate on your experience. That was all it took in Puerto Rico to get the DM to wave bye bye to my student and I so we could go off and do our own thing.

Gary, thanks for the info…will use ur website. After being in the keys, I will return and I will check-out the Key Largo area….sounds like some nice diving up there.

Garrobo, my ego has nothing to do with this…I did talk with him, since it was only myself and 1 other diver (and about 15 snorkelers)…so he knew my experience. If an instructor says he needs “x” amount of weight…just shut ur mouth and let him dive with it, period.

Dumbsterdiver…I had no idea where I was diving my 1st day, it was wherever I landed. But many of the shops seem to just be dive shops (with signs outside that said “daily trips” but either contracted with other dive shops or something….just not sure how they operated, but it was clear they didn’t have boats themselves). Lesson learned for sure and will call ahead of time and go with a game plan. Bottom line is I can’t blame anybody but myself…

Guess I just wanted to pass on a helpful suggestion to operators in tourist area (because I’ve seen operators in Hawaii act goofy too to dive professionals). You really need to understand that an Instructor or DM has a big influence on divers, especially if they work in an active area.

Thanks for ur comments everybody....peace

I understand what you went through, having been there myself. There are some reasons for it, some reasonable, most not. Keep in mind that the majority of the zero to hero instructors in the USA are created in Southern Florida where there is not a shore based diving Pacific ocean to select them out, so operators get more than a little jaded. Add to this the fact that they are often over worked, under paid and often not tipped, and you'll start to see the rest of the story. While these are not good excuses for the way you were treated, they may provide some insight.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom