Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orcatwiggy:
It seems to me that the biggest problem with DIR is those who are not.

Yes, I think you have it now. And you simply will not be able to resist resorting to the scripture if you sink to entering discussions of solo diving, pony bottles, Air 2's and other such causes of all those scuba injuries & deaths. But you probably will be a pretty good, safe diver. Unfortunately, you will believe it is the only way to achieve that end.

I just has to be said, and since my involvement already disqualifies me for any moderating responsibilities whatseoever in this thread... I will say it:

GUE DIR trained divers are simply the best in the world.

cancun mark:
This has all the makings of celebrity death match:

In the red corner, Dweeb and O-ring, in the blue corner Novadiver and H2Andy.

Isee this as one of the primary disadvantages of DIR, that everyone seems to take themselves so seriously on the pro and con sides of the fence. Lighten up, this is about diving, it is supposed to be enjoyable.

Also because it hasnt been around for 30 years like some other agencies, it has limited geographical coverage, accessability and this creates the impression of "exclusivity" which can be misinterpreted as elitism etc. I think it needs the myths busted open. there is too much mis information about it.

As always, there is some spirited debate on the subject.

I dunno about all this warfare talk. I like the passionate dialog. Its just easier to be passionate about DIR than about your mask, or your tank, or your camera (unless you unfortunately shoot Canon.) DIR gets more attention and passion than the gear rooms here on SB.

I'm a recreational weenie who dives DIR. And I do take it very serious - the "it" being safety underwater, preparation and fitness above water and the selection, care and maintenance of my gear.

Honestly, the people that scare me are the throngs of casual divers I run into on boats and in the dive parks - the "la la la look at the fishie" types who's heads aren't in the game and who pinball off every rock, wreck and bottom element they are unfortunate to come across.

These friggen roto tillers with their purge valve 6 window clear masks, plastic split fins and pretty colored jacket BC's awash with every Trident gadget the LDS can clip to them are the ones to be afraid of. There is no serious aspiration to get better and hone their skill level. These are the people I fear, not the DIR (soup) Nazis.

The former don't take themselves or the pursuit of diving seriously enough, if you ask me. A newbee putting in the time will bounce all over the place - I'm OK with that. We all did.

I'm talking about these people who've been diving for years and aspire to nothing more than "la la la look at the fishie" while breaking stuff off and stirring stuff up. These are the ones that freighten and quite frankly hack me off.

Doesn't mean there aren't purge valve splitfinners with mad skills. Just as there are DIR roto tillers.

Will I dive with someone like this? Not if I have a choice. It just sucks the life out of a dive for me anymore. Does this make me an elitist snob? No way. But I am very picky about who I surround myself with underwater. In some cases a rototiller is better than no buddy at all. But I've passed and sat out a dive on a number of occasions to keep from buddying up with a gardener, or hunter, or some other diver I wasn't confident in.

Anyone who knows me or dives with me knows I'm not one of those DIR (soup) Nazis who manages to wretch every ounce of fun out of diving for himself and anyone else unfortunate to be around him. You know these guys. There has to be balance.

Back to the topic - I'd say the downside to DIR the commitment. There can be no "I'm a little DIR"... its just not like that.

Keeping yourself in shape, keeping your skills at a high level, outfitting yourself correctly, maintaining a good attitude and grounded outlook when you get no support (number the LDS's that support real DIR in So Cal...) and are always in a minority in every dive situatiuon isn't always a fun place to be in. And for some people, pride of skills and affiliation with a solid organization runs away and moves into the ego Pug spoke about. And you get the DIR idiots.

The downside of DIR is keeping your self in check. For me, that's the issue. Working the skills, checking my attitude and sticking with it.

K

What I see is an attitude of immortality from some. This is a downside, No?

LMAO

cancun mark:
except denial. :wink:
I love it. Cancun Mark plays sniper in this thread....then becomes sanctimonius Mark and proffers the advice:" I see this as one of the primary disadvantages of DIR, that everyone seems to take themselves so seriously on the pro and con sides of the fence. Lighten up, this is about diving, it is supposed to be enjoyable.

Also because it hasnt been around for 30 years like some other agencies, it has limited geographical coverage, accessability and this creates the impression of "exclusivity" which can be misinterpreted as elitism etc. I think it needs the myths busted open. there is too much mis information about it."
Why do non DIR or even anti-DIR divers get to play at omnipotent scuba advisors? Why not allow a DIR instructor to answer or if you wish, PM the original thread starter your opinion versus jumping in with your sage words that offer nothing other than that DIR is bad, but that you do not have a replacement theory for it?

d33ps1x:
It really must be who you know not what you know. It's the only explanation I can fathom for the fact that you are still an active member on this board.

Hey man, don't get so defensive. After all, your DIR and therefore the best, right?

It's football season & I can still run an incredible offense.

Just for the record, jjsteffen... they did bring back d33ps1x. Thought you might want to know. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom