Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6474286:
Sorry to sound naive, but what do you mean by trolling?
Trolling is a fishing technique in which you drag a baited hook through the water to catch fish. It is also an internet technique to catch people in an argument.

The DIR forum is a *no trolling zone* ~ read the sticky note at the top of the forum.

We don't want folks dragging baited posts through the DIR forum just trying to start arguments.

Now in the present case we have some not so sublte comments and the *fish* aren't biting anyway. So it is like a couple of fellas sitting on a dock jigging a couple of bare hooks in the water at noon knowing full well they won't be catching anything.

O-ring:
Eeek! This thread has drawn all the elites from the world of trolldom out of hiding. Now if we can get a Jepuskar post we can delete the thread and move on.. :)

i think he is in Bonaire

The other disadvantage of DIR is the amount of trolldom it usually draws. It is very funny, it is a universal phenomenon. Happens everywhere ... I wonder why people get so passionate about it ?

This has all the makings of celebrity death match:

In the red corner, Dweeb and O-ring, in the blue corner Novadiver and H2Andy.

Isee this as one of the primary disadvantages of DIR, that everyone seems to take themselves so seriously on the pro and con sides of the fence. Lighten up, this is about diving, it is supposed to be enjoyable.

Also because it hasnt been around for 30 years like some other agencies, it has limited geographical coverage, accessability and this creates the impression of "exclusivity" which can be misinterpreted as elitism etc. I think it needs the myths busted open. there is too much mis information about it.

O-ring:
Eeek! This thread has drawn all the elites from the world of trolldom out of hiding. Now if we can get a Jepuskar post we can delete the thread and move on.. :)

I've got to tell you, this really put a smile on my face. But I don't have the time for the old arguements we used to have so much fun with.

My Bengals play tonight at 7:30....GO BENGALS.

Good luck to you O-Ring, in regards to this DIR battle.

I have read every comment this thread that I started.

I think that I have figured it out...or at least come to a conclusion. It seems to me that the biggest problem with DIR is those who are not.

orcatwiggy,

I see you are from CT. If you want to get a feel for DIR from real, live people, you should hook up with SCUBA Shack in Rocky Hill, CT. They are the 7th largest Halcyon dealership in the world, many of the instructors are Tech 1+ certified, and one (Ed Hayes, Arcangelhayes here) is a DIRF Intern. They regularly have DIR days for "like minded" divers to get together, hangout, train, and dive. It's a good crew of divers without the egos.

Soggy:
orcatwiggy,

I see you are from CT. If you want to get a feel for DIR from real, live people, you should hook up with SCUBA Shack in Rocky Hill, CT. They are the 7th largest Halcyon dealership in the world, many of the instructors are Tech 1+ certified, and one (Ed Hayes, Arcangelhayes here) is a DIRF Intern. They regularly have DIR days for "like minded" divers to get together, hangout, train, and dive. It's a good crew of divers without the egos.

I have already spoken with Tom. I can't wait. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom