Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia:
Personally, I don't believe it's necessary for someone to be DIR in order to be a good dive buddy or a safe diver, but diving with buddies who are not DIR is not DIR diving.
Let me start by saying that I am planning on taking DIR-F and that this post is not intended to be a negative one.

Matt's statement that diving with a buddy who is not DIR is not DIR diving, is one that I've heard many times. However, it doesn't seem to make sense for a couple of reasons.

First reason, by way of an example. I believe that Curt Bowen is not DIR and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Curt has mentioned that he has been diving with JJ and GI3 at Wakulla Springs. I'm using Curt as an example because I don't think anyone would say that Curt is a bad diver or a diver with an unsafe attitude. I think most people both DIR and non-DIR would agree that he is a well respected diver and explorer.

So, according to Matt's statement, JJ and GI3 would not be DIR divers if they went on a dive with Curt. That makes no sense to me and I find it hard to believe that this is what they intend to teach. This is what I would call the "letter of the law" versus the "spirit of the law". It seems that the "spirit of the law" here is to teach people not to dive with divers that have an unsafe attitude. We are also assuming that you are familiar with the other diver's equipment configuration and that they are familiar with yours.

To me, the letter or the law would mean that if you had an opportunity to dive with someone who was like Bill Main or Sheck Exley, but they were not DIR, that as a DIR diver you'd have to "just say no".

Second reason using the letter of the law. When a GUE Intructor dives with a non-DIR student learning to dive DIR, they would by definition become non-DIR divers themselves. I know that this is a rediculous statement and only use it to make the point that this must be more of a grey area than an absolutely black and white one.

Likewise, if a DIR diver dives with a non-DIR diver to share knowledge about DIR and subsequently, that non-DIR diver decides to take a DIR class as a result of seeing the merits of the system, it's hard to believe that this would be a bad thing and condemned by GUE. After all, in theory, you'd be making the diving world a better place by motivating someone to become a better (read "more skilled") diver.

Could someone clear this up? I feel like I've got to be missing something here on a practical level.

Christian

headhunter:
Could someone clear this up? I feel like I've got to be missing something here on a practical level.
Well, I'll not pretend to speak for others, but sure - there are a few "purist?" DIR folks who won't dive with non-DIR trained buddies. The rest of us take a more realistic view. I took the training and apply almost all of it to my recreational diving (that includes "tech" dives). As for buddies - I'll still dive with most anyone who will let me dive them. Although depending on their skill level and attitude, it may end up being a bit more conservative than a dive with, say, Uncle Pug :wink:

Kriterian:
Ok now that's just silly and doesn't make sense. You find a person on the web who is selling their gear because they are starting DIR, and you think DIR means you have to buy new gear? You only have to buy new gear if you have the wrong kind to begin with.

Hmm,

for the record, I'm interested in DIR and would like to take DIR-F when it's available locally (which, in the Netherlands, is no more than once or twice a year).

However, my gear is, AFAIK, pretty good: back-inflate BCD, Mares regulators etc.. So, though I will do DIR-F one of these days I am not going to sell my current gear to buy a BP/W.

Main reason: I bought my gear last year with the 2 buddies I dive most with and we all have identical gear. Cost is also an issue of course.

I will probably end up with a BP/W but not in the near future. Long hose is a different matter.

Snowbear:
More efficient diving is great for air consumption but all that frog kicking (in other words, more glide than kick) and hovering sure makes a person cool off faster :D

Hopefully I will have a DIY solution for this little problem by next week.......
Like move to a place where the water is warmer than your ice chest?

Snowbear:
Hey - I thought of a disadvantage to DIR :11:

More efficient diving is great for air consumption but all that frog kicking (in other words, more glide than kick) and hovering sure makes a person cool off faster :D

Hopefully I will have a DIY solution for this little problem by next week.......
Shivering?

If you don't own a wing and want to take DIR-F

Rent one!

The equipment requerments are very minimal for DIR-F. And consist of mostly stuff you already need. Minimaly:
-A pair of Al80's with K-Valves
-A yoke first with 2 seconds, one on a long hose. Take the console off the SPG. Add a 5-7 foot hose and 2 bolt snaps.
-Backplate, harness, wing.
-Depth gauge/watch or bottom timer or computer
-Non-split fins
-Cutting device
-Wet notes
-Spool + Bag/Saussage
-Exposure protection

Of all of that the hose and a handfull of bolt snaps can be had relativly cheap and the wing can be rented. Everything else you already need or should have. After the class you can go back to the jacket. You don't need apex regs and jetfins to take DIR-F.

jjsteffen:
as a famous Harry Callahan once avered" Yes, you're a legend in your own mind". For Cincy. Go Browns.

I just watched this movie. Heck of a flick. There is nothing wrong with a man thinking a little highly of himself.

At least Cincy put 6 on the board with their new QB. Garcia.....well....They had a goose egg on game 1 didn't they?

Kriterian:
Why didn't you just read the What is DIR? post at the top of this forum? It breaks it down nicely, and is easy to find. Or better yet go to the source at http://www.gue.com

I did.

Ok now that's just silly and doesn't make sense. You find a person on the web who is selling their gear because they are starting DIR, and you think DIR means you have to buy new gear? You only have to buy new gear if you have the wrong kind to begin with.

Thanks! You just made my point!!!

I take it you haven't seen the 18,416 new fin improvements over the years. Yet somehow this latest design is the be-all-end-all of fin design? It's a well know fact that Halycon was created in response to the lack of DIR equipment on the market. There are tons of non-Halycon equipment that qualifies as DIR, as well. This argument/debate/insult/comment is very old, and untrue.
Sorry if ya can't handle the truth...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom