Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novadiver:
If an instructor is a good teacher than a student should be able to learn . It's the instructors job to teach,
Alright, I've had about enough of this for one day... I call troll.

novadiver:
Hey O-ring I hope alls well with you. No junk this time but thanks for assking
:) Good to hear from you too! Glad that we can agree to disagree these days..

BTW - we are heading up there next month and diving with the Surface Interval. I guess after that I have to shut up, eh?

Personally I am not DIR certified, but I see some of the many advantages of diving with the Dir equipment set-up. I use different equipment to that detailed by DIR, but wear my equipment in the same manor.

Two of the biggest things I appreciate in my diving, is the double wing which I use on nearly all my dives (With one inflator hose disconnected, so as not to cause runaway ascents!).

I know people who have tried at 50mtrs deep, with a double 12ltr and two stages to use their dry suit to ascend and have sat on the bottom like a michellin man.

I also like the personal choice that I have, personally I like diving with steel 7liter stages, they are simply heavier, and I feel well balanced using them.

Saying all of the above, I cannot disagree with the DIR style of diving, it is designed to be safe, but it doesn't allow for much room for personal choice. Simply said, if I feel at my most comfortable using one piece of equipment over another, then I will continue to use that piece of equipment.

I hope I haven't offended anyone with this post, that is not meant to be the case!

TTFN

Paul

Lmao

CincyBengalsFan:
Eeek! This thread has drawn all the elites from the world of trolldom out of hiding. Now if we can get a Jepuskar post we can delete the thread and move on.. :)

Funny that neither of the people who tend to rub each other the wrong way seem to actually get out and dive much.

The rest of us no matter what our preference seem to be able to co-exist and have a good time diving instead of yapping about it. Managed 15 dives on various wrecks this week myself. A few of them without...shock...DIR divers on the boats, except for a couple of us. We actually managed to refrain from pulling out the chains and knives and having a good ol' rumble between rival gangs.

Fill your tanks, move this thread to whine and cheeze, and go diving...It's a great cure for boredom. Let's see if we can lower that 10%'er rate on both sides a bit eh? :D

This is probably the #1 most annoying complaint about DIR that I read over and over and over again. Go out and take DIRF and go diving with your non-DIR buddies and I'm fairly certain that nobody will give a damn.

Why is it that its always the people who object to DIR who are the most concerned with weither or not you're diving DIR with a non-DIR buddy? Why do you care that all your dives, hypothetical or not, are labelled?

MSilvia:
The biggest disadvantage I see comes from DIR's emphasis on the dive team. Paradoxically, I also see this is as one of it's greatest strengths.

The idea of training and diving with fellow DIR divers who all have a standardized equipment configuration, consistant methods, and a common understanding makes tremendous sense in technical applications like deep or penetration diving, and the fact that DIR has allowed such dives to be accomplished with a respectable safety record speaks for itself. Certainly, DIR can be applied to even the simplest of recreational dives, and will make those dives run more smoothly and enjoyably.

Personally, I don't believe it's necessary for someone to be DIR in order to be a good dive buddy or a safe diver, but diving with buddies who are not DIR is not DIR diving.
I have many diver friends who've never taken DIR-F, and have no intention of doing so. That I can not have safe and enjoyable dives with them and and still consider myself a DIR diver is the biggest reason I haven't fully embraced the philosophy. Given the choice of either diving DIR or adopting many of the principles of DIR and continuing to dive with non-DIR friends whose equipment and styles I'm nonetheless familiar and comfortable with, I'll take the friends and toss the title.

I think what I've learned from DIR-F is very valuable, and I'm continuing to drill the skills and techniques I learned there, but I don't consider myself DIR, and am always happy to get out and dive with anyone whom I consider to be a reliable buddy wether or not they've tasted the kool-aid.

jbd:
BTW should that be vertabrates?
I was wondering also. What "air breathing invertebrates swimming in the oceans" are so dangerous? Electric eels?

Funny that neither of the people who tend to rub each other the wrong way seem to actually get out and dive much.
What the heck are you talking about?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom