Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

QuoVadis:
Face it... You guys/gals ARE fanatics. In my opinion you bought into the biggest sales pitch/con game in recreational sports history. Sorry folks, but it's true. Concepts are great, utilization is another matter.....

Can you explain, "....utilization is another matter"?

O-ring:
Agreed...that was an unfair generalization. I should have known better..

When a student fails a GUE-F DIR course is it the students Skills or the instructors ego . I say this because I've read all the post here ,and I've never come across a more arrogant set of divers in my 27 years of diving.

You can flame me all you want the truth is always the truth

A c-card doesn't make the diver, It gives the diver an opportunity to become a good diver. but you don't no this because it wasn't in the DIR class.

MODS please open THE DIR FREE ZONE. It's time to let the world know about the air breathing invertebrates swimming in the oceans, They are the real danger to this sport.

The biggest disadvantage I see comes from DIR's emphasis on the dive team. Paradoxically, I also see this is as one of it's greatest strengths.

The idea of training and diving with fellow DIR divers who all have a standardized equipment configuration, consistant methods, and a common understanding makes tremendous sense in technical applications like deep or penetration diving, and the fact that DIR has allowed such dives to be accomplished with a respectable safety record speaks for itself. Certainly, DIR can be applied to even the simplest of recreational dives, and will make those dives run more smoothly and enjoyably.

Personally, I don't believe it's necessary for someone to be DIR in order to be a good dive buddy or a safe diver, but diving with buddies who are not DIR is not DIR diving.
I have many diver friends who've never taken DIR-F, and have no intention of doing so. That I can not have safe and enjoyable dives with them and and still consider myself a DIR diver is the biggest reason I haven't fully embraced the philosophy. Given the choice of either diving DIR or adopting many of the principles of DIR and continuing to dive with non-DIR friends whose equipment and styles I'm nonetheless familiar and comfortable with, I'll take the friends and toss the title.

I think what I've learned from DIR-F is very valuable, and I'm continuing to drill the skills and techniques I learned there, but I don't consider myself DIR, and am always happy to get out and dive with anyone whom I consider to be a reliable buddy wether or not they've tasted the kool-aid.

I wonder who are the fanatics ... The pro-DIR or the anti-DIR ? :06:

IMO, if you like it, you adopt it, if you don't, you still have the free will in doing so ...

novadiver:
When a student fails a GUE-F DIR course is it the students Skills or the instructors ego . I say this because I've read all the post here ,and I've never come across a more arrogant set of divers in my 27 years of diving.

You can flame me all you want the truth is always the truth.
Exactly how many GUE instructors have you meet in person?

novadiver:

A c-card doesn't make the diver, It gives the diver an opportunity to become a good diver. but you don't no this because it wasn't in the DIR class.

MODS please open THE DIR FREE ZONE. It's time to let the world know about the air breathing invertebrates swimming in the oceans, They are the real danger to this sport.

IMHO it would be the students skills not coming up to par. The 4 people that taught or filmed the DIR-F that I took were not all about ego. I know some folks who have taken other GUE classes and did not pass on the first go at it. They were given the specific reasons and specific parameters to follow when doing similar dives(caves). They were also told specifically what to practice on. Once they felt ready they returned to the instructor and re did the dives. Second time around they got it right and were certified for that level of diving. Plain and simply no ego about it.

BTW should that be vertabrates?

novadiver:

I was wondering when you would join the party! :)

Here's a little exercise...kinda like an SAT question. If Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and a squared away, highly skilled Delaware wreck diver all splash in over the China Wreck, who is most likely to get a coveted plate?

Answer: None of them. They are all figments of your imagination.

jbd:
IMHO it would be the students skills not coming up to par. The 4 people that taught or filmed the DIR-F that I took were not all about ego. I know some folks who have taken other GUE classes and did not pass on the first go at it. They were given the specific reasons and specific parameters to follow when doing similar dives(caves). They were also told specifically what to practice on. Once they felt ready they returned to the instructor and re did the dives. Second time around they got it right and were certified for that level of diving. Plain and simply no ego about it.

BTW should that be vertabrates?

NO I ment INVERTABRATES like spiders and ticks.

If an instructor is a good teacher than a student should be able to learn . It's the instructors job to teach,

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom