DIRF Ft. Lauderdale 12/6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
they don't teach you to go to 150'...
they teach you to come back even after everthing goes sideways.

Right, they don't, but they do give you a lower limit of 150. Had I started with that card I would have access to exactly one more more wreck in this area than I had before it.

I'm not saying its not a good course, never have said that. The only thing I said was that I have no plans on taking it. The reason behind that has nothing to do with the level of training or the difficulty of the work.

Tom

diver42 once bubbled...
About Tech 1 - what do you think were skills you had to have a mastery of in order to succeed? In other words, what do you consider were the essential building blocks?
That is exactly what Tech 1 (especially with Andrew) is designed to show you... what skills you need to work on.

It isn't just about being able to pass the class and get a card. It isn't about that at all.

Andrew will find your weaknesses and show them to you on video at days end. No matter how good you are... he will find things that you need to work on. You will probably *kill* yourself and/or your buddy multiple times as the dives go sideways... but then you will learn.

The task loading is increased to the point you make mistakes. Don't expect otherwise.

Things that are important:
1. Situational awareness to include yourself, your buddy, the dive, the environment, ect. (all dynamically.)

2. Thinking things through before acting.

3. Communication/Teamwork.

4. Trim/Buoyancy control.

All the stuff you should have learned in DIRf... practice.

WreckWriter once bubbled...
Right, they don't, but they do give you a lower limit of 150.
I can mix what ever I want and dive when ever I want to how ever deep I want where ever I want... but...

After Andrew I cheefully limit myself :D

Are your skills up to the level of diving that you are doing... if the cascade of failures starts?

Are your skills up to the level of diving that your are doing... if the cascade of failures starts?

I guess time will tell on that question.

they don't teach you to go to 150'...
they teach you to come back even after everthing goes sideways.
Good one, can I quote you?

Roak

Everyone knows that the ocean floor, especially around the 150' level, is littered with the bodies of dead TDI and IANTD divers awaiting the heroic efforts of tech 1 folks to come and recover them. They should have known better than to think they could survive not being perfectly horizontal for even a moment.

Everyone knows that the ocean floor, especially around the 150' level, are littered with the bodies of dead TDI and IANTD divers awaiting the heroic efforts of tech 1 folks to come and recover them. They should have known better than to think they could survive not being perfectly horizontal for even a moment.
And all those lonely lost fins that lie below the 150' mark that can't be recovered until tech 3...

O-ring once bubbled...

And all those lonely lost fins that lie below the 150' mark that can't be recovered until tech 3...

So true. From what I understand there's only about 6 people who have reached that exalted level.

So true. From what I understand there's only about 6 people who have reached that exalted level.
That alone is worth reaching the tech 3 level...just think of all the money I will make retrieving all those mismatched fins and selling them back to their owners or on Ebay! There must be hundreds of fins around 152 fsw (oops...I said fsw)..

O-ring once bubbled...

That alone is worth reaching the tech 3 level...just think of all the money I will make retrieving all those mismatched fins and selling them back to their owners or on Ebay! There must be hundreds of fins around 152 fsw (oops...I said fsw)..

You know you're no longer allowed to use that term don't you? It was decreed yesterday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom