DIRF Ft. Lauderdale 12/6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good Luck :) - Make those two weeks count or try the 2-phase version of Tech 1. AG's site, has a full write up of the differences.

Eric

How does that work? Remember, my skills will suffer a little with the addition of a drysuit... though I guess it could make me more stable (what do I know?)

diver42 once bubbled...
How does that work? Remember, my skills will suffer a little with the addition of a drysuit... though I guess it could make me more stable (what do I know?)

I'm not sure exactly, Dean mentioned something about it on the last day but I wasn't paying too much attention as I have no plans to take that class.

Plan on full pass anyway :)

Tom

I think we (my dive group) have been suffering from an unnatural fear of tech 1...it must not be as hard as I think it is...

Rich, let me know if you need a buddy for the class...I'll take it with you if you reschedule depending on time/location.

That sounds good, if I can make the new dates... would you be interested in doing drills the weekends of Jan. 25 and Feb. 1? Has anyone been up to that place in WVA that's supposed to stay warm all winter?

r

Here is a quote from the Fifth D web site:

Eric

Class Information & Outline
Congratulations on enrolling in your GUE Technical Diver 1 course! Below is information that will help prepare you for your class. If you have any questions, please email the primary contact for the class you are enrolled in. Click here to return to the schedule page with the contact information.

If you are interested in coordinating a GUE Tech 1 class in your area, please click here.

Tech 1 is designed to be taught over a total of a 5 day period. The 5 days can be consecutive or broken into segments. See below for course options as well as a bit of helpful information to better prepare for your Tech 1 course. For other information and a Course Outline for Tech 1 please Click Here.

Before your class begins you will need to have completed and/or be aware of the following:

Equipment

DIR's equipment configuration is designed to be simple, configurable and consistent. To get the most from your class it is advisable that you take the course in a complete DIR style system and have completed the course DIR Fundamentals and had 25 practice dives in your doubles configuration prior to the start of the course.

To better assist you in preparing for class, we have listed below our required and suggested equipment lists for the class. Please consult with your instructor of the class if you have further questions about your equipment needs.

Not sure what a DIR system is? Please click here for more details!

Required Equipment Specifications:

1. Complete DIR Equipment configuration (regulator/hoses; backplate/wing, etc.)
(please consult with your instructor if you have questions about your equipment configuration for Tech 1)
2. Double Cylinders with Isolation Manifold (all dives must start with a minimum of 80 cft)
3. One Deco Bottle for 50% Nitrox
4. At least One Depth-measuring device
5. Two time-keeping devices
6. Deco tables
7. Fins must be non-split variety
8. At least one cutting device
9. Three lights: One primary, two secondary
10. Wet Notes or Slate
11. Exposure suit that is appropriate for the environment
12. Wrist mount Compass

Suggested Equipment Specifications:

Drysuit/Wetsuit with Pockets
Primary Reel with minimum 400 ft. line (one per team is required)

Experience/Prerequisites

GUE's Tech 1 is designed to introduce divers to the demands of technical diving and to introduce them to the use of different breathing mixutres. Tech 1 is a Decompression course utilizing Nitrox and Triox (Helium enriched gas) as beneficial gasses in the 40 - 160 foot range. Tech 1 training focuses on expanding the basic skills introduced in the DIR Fundamentals course and is designed to cultivate and broaden essential skills required for safe technical diving. Nitrox and TRIOX required during course (Blending process is part of this course). 5th Dimension recommends that you obtain a minimum of 20 dives beyond your Fundamentals course in preparation of your Tech 1 course. Please consult with your instructor about your readiness for Tech 1 if you have any questions.

GUE Prerequisites for Tech 1 include:

- Students must meet GUE General Prerequisites*

- Non-smoker

- Minimum of 18 years of age

- Have a total of 75 dives beyond openwater. Training dives not included.

- Must be able to swim 50 ft. on a breath hold

- Must be able to swim at least 300 yards/275 meters in less than 12 minutes without stopping.

Education/Course Limits

GUE's Tech 1 Course limits include:

- Student to instructor ratio not to exceed 3:1 during any in-water training

- Maximum depth 150 ft. (+/- 10 ft)

- No overhead environment diving (i.e. no caves or wreck penetration)

- No goal-oriented dives

Tech 1 is typically conducted over a 5 day period and involves a minimum of 40 hours of instruction encompassing both classroom sessions and in-water work. 5th Dimension offers 2 course Formats to choose from.

Tech 1: Class Format 1

Class Duration:

5 Full, consecutive days

(Example: Saturday 8:00am to 8:00pm, Sunday 8:00am to 8:00pm, Monday 8:00am - 8:00pm Tuesday 8:00am - 8:00pm, Wednesday 8:00am to 5:00pm book Thursday for extra day for make up or weather)

Dive Depths

Day 1 - Lecture & 2 dives 20-30 ft (Nitrox)

Day 2 - Lecture & 2 dives 30-50 ft (Nitrox)

Day 3 - Lecture & 2 Dives 60-100ft (Nitrox plus Nitrox 50 deco stage)
Day 4 - Lecture & 2 Dives 80-120ft (Triox 30/30 plus Nitrox 50 deco stage)

Day 5 - 1 dives 120-150ft (Triox 21/35 plus Nitrox 50 deco stage)

Day 6 - Optional day for makeup class

Tech 1: Class Format 2

Class Format 2 breaks the 5 day Tech 1 course into 2 segments (Part 1 and Part 2). This course format is for those divers unable to meet the week long schedule and/or for those seeking to have a break in their training (some divers have found a period to go practice the first skill set is useful to successfully complete the course). Students will be required to meet all the same prerequisites & requirements for equipment and training as for the typical Tech 1 course.

Please note: This schedule will require the instructor(s) to travel to your destination on more than one occassion. Additional instructor travel fee's & other expenses will apply to the individual(s) seeking this format.

Part 1 of the Tech 1 Format 2 is a NO Decompression class
Class Duration
3 Full days
(Example Friday 8:00am to 8:00pm, Saturday 8:00am to 8:00pm, Sunday 8:00am to 5:00pm)

Dive depths:
Day 1 - Lecture & 2 Dives 20 - 30 ft (Nitrox)
Day 2 - Lecture & 2 Dives 40 - 70 ft (Nitrox)
Day 3 - Lecture & 2 Dives 80 - 120 ft (Triox)

Part 2 of the Tech 1 Format 2 is a Decompression class
Length:
3 Full days (Example Friday 8:00am to 8:00pm, Saturday 8:00am to 8:00pm, Sunday 8:00am to 5:00pm) Dive depths:
Day 1 - Lecture & 2 Dives 60-100ft (nitrox plus nitrox 50 deco stages)
Day 2 - Lecture & 2 Dives 80-120ft (triox 30/30 plus nitrox 50 deco stages)
Day 3 - 1 dives 120-160ft (triox 21/35 plus nitrox 50 deco stages)

diver42 once bubbled...
That sounds good, if I can make the new dates... would you be interested in doing drills the weekends of Jan. 25 and Feb. 1? Has anyone been up to that place in WVA that's supposed to stay warm all winter?

r
What the heck, right? I can make the 25th and Feb. 1, but what are the dates of the class? I know how to get to Mt. Storm, so that's not a problem. Let me check the class dates though...who are we doing it through? Brownies?

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

:rolleyes:
Does a lot depend on the instructor? Maybe it is not as hard as it used to be? I know better than to take it with Andrew :)

O-ring once bubbled...
Does a lot depend on the instructor?
I don't know. Andrew did say that he was harder on us up here in the PNW because the conditions here are harder. Maybe after another year the nightmares will stop... you just caught me at a bad moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom