Dir-?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Braunbehrens once bubbled...

LOL, man, do you take drugs for paranoia?

It's a very natural reaction...if you read a good book, you tell people about it, don't you? Are you paid by the publisher?

LOL, No Drugs Here!! That wouldn't be DIR.

Now seriously, I'm not talking about the people who read the book, I'm talking about the people who wrote it and are directly affiliated with them.

As far as the people who read the book and want to spread it... you've gotta admit ALOT of them don't really understand everything they read and are just preaching it to be elitist and cool.

Quite aware of those accomplishments, Sorry to general a statement. But the rantings of " inspiration or expiration" and all the other backwoods rebreathers were just that ramblings. Making no sense whatsoever.

I think what angers me personally is reading all the slams offered up against other breathers without a solution. My personal opinion is that the inspiration is a great unit. Its the training that leaves much to be desired. SO why dont these guys get involved. Its a great opportunity to not issolate the rebreather community but to include them. Our numbers are growing very rapidly. My concern is that as our numbers grow, the training is going to depreciate. Thats the reason behind DIR isnt it? A viable sound training regimine to replace the eroding training of other agencies.

I am a firm believer that unless someone steps up and gets a program of knowledge and skills together its going to be a long hard road. As it stands now, unless you get a great instructor, you wont know all the necessary skills for survival. With an organization like GUE that has a wealth of good sound knowledge, why dont they offer solutions. All rebreathers have faults, probably always will. The job of us as divers and the different certifying agencies is to expose the faults and develope procedures to minimize their effects.

Bottom line to GUE is dont slam us, get onboard and help us.

saturated once bubbled...

Bottom line to GUE is dont slam us, get onboard and help us.

Seriously....try getting ahold of AG, JJ, or any of the other big breather dudes at GUE...I beleive that they share the vision you are looking for. Try talking to them, approaching them, and letting them know your experiences. I mean you were obviously diving breathers before the rb-80 came about (I think)....maybe you have some insight they might be interested in.....

So long as you don't approach them with the attitude that the two "DIR" guys gave you, I think you would be surprised.

chrpai once bubbled...

LOL, No Drugs Here!! That wouldn't be DIR.

Now seriously, I'm not talking about the people who read the book, I'm talking about the people who wrote it and are directly affiliated with them.

As far as the people who read the book and want to spread it... you've gotta admit ALOT of them don't really understand everything they read and are just preaching it to be elitist and cool.

There are jerks everywhere, that's just the way it is. Because DIR can be looked at as a bunch of rules, it attracts some idiots, I'll grant you that. What these people don't realize is the complexity and beauty of the system, and the reasons behind the rules.

I.E. no metal to metal connection...there are lots of metal to metal connections on a rig, the reason behind the rule is really the important thing. But it gives morons a chance to yell "no metal to metal, no metal to metal!" so they like it.

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure you knew that most of us are just regular guys, just like Zaphod.

Thanks,

I think I'll do that, my first operational rebreather dive was on a mark 11, Needless to say I'm getting up there.

Sorry to rant I've been up for a long time....

boomx5 once bubbled...

Are you aware of WKPP's accomplishments on rebreathers?

ARE YOU AWARE OF WKPP'S ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN THE WORLD OF AGGRESSIVE SOCIOPATHIC BEHAVIOR?=-)

Seriously, though, they have done some amazing work, and no one can knock them for that. There are, however, people who have been as far into caves as they have, and people who have been deeper on mixed-gas rebreathers in caves than they have, (and for that matter, some old geysers who have been on breathers longer than they have), who are nowhere near as arrogant as some of the WKPP'ers seem to love to be.:rolleyes: :wink:

I think i am going to adopt some DIR equipment habits...having my alternate secondary right below my chin while bungied around my neck..i like that idea...along with a 5' hose for my primary.

BP/Wings also seem like a good idea for me...i am constantly trying to maintain a nice trim position in the water...i do pretty good at it for having a jacket, but im sure it is easier with wings....i think im gonna get the 6lb steel BP too...thats a good idea...hehehe

Spring straps on a pair of non-split fins sounds good too..

I think i am classified as a stroke, but it will be fun to see the difference regardless.

A shopping i will go...

Soo, anyone know the going rate for a new RB80? 9g's?

Sounds about right. For the loop, OC/DSV and switchblock in a box. Frame's extra, as is BP/W. The latter you're supposed to have as you need GUE certs to get the GUE RB ticket. So roughly about three grand more as an Inspiration, Megalodon or Prism (all of which are being used in caves, too).

BP/W combo works nicely OC, in warm water a winged bc is much more comfortable I think. And still gives you backbouyancy. Hose routing is great, but as much of DIR it's been around for a long time, longer than GUE.

Same with spring straps. They're available for non-Jets, too. Including splits if you like those.

And yeah, you're definitely a stroke. So am I. Even though neither of us strokes His ego. :wink:

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...

There are, however, people who have been as far into caves as they have, and people who have been deeper on mixed-gas rebreathers in caves than they have, (and for that matter, some old geysers who have been on breathers longer than they have), who are nowhere near as arrogant as some of the WKPP'ers seem to love to be.:rolleyes: :wink:

Who?

cornfed once bubbled...

Who?

The British (stated diving CCR's in caves in the 1940's - as did the Italians), French (recent dive to -180 m 12 hr dive in the Goul de la Tannerie on twin SCR's), the Germans (our friends in the EKPP) and Swiss to name a few. I'm only really up with what the Brits are doing - two of them took their homebuilt CCR's down Cueva Cheve in Mexico and dived a couple of sumps on them to scoop the N. America cave depth record recently....

Duncan

Edit: added links

Back
Top Bottom