Dir-?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As KentCe pointed out, you already DiveInspirationRebreather. :D

Take a look at Madmole's site, the modified Inspiration withGI3 approval.
PM me for a link if you haven't read the reason for it.

But seriously, saturated, I feel your pain. I had DIR wannabes get in my face about all kind of stuff. From non-Jet Fins to Octo+, twice someone came up to me on boats and started off the conversation that way.

I rather doubt they had the full understanding of what DIR is about. The DIR-F undoubtly teaches a lot of good stuff (get the book and have a look). Plenty of it is usable for any diver, well thought out, and worth knowing. But it's not for everyone. I for one can't live with any 'all or nothing' approach, no matter what the subject is. So I take a JKD state-of-mind with this as well as most other things in live: Learn everything you can and discard what you can't use.

It served me well and broadened my horizon. Even let me have a serious look at DIR. I'm still planning on taking that course. I know that I'll never be DIR by its standards, but believe I'll come out a better diver.

Besides: I know at least one Inspiration diver who has GUE training
And: I met one of the GUE instructors who was way less jaded than anyone who was 'just' diving it (or thought so. Or got Halcyon gear and Jet Fins:wink: )

Sorry, I was just venting. The 2 individuals I met were indeed GUI trained. apparently about 6mos ago in Northern Florida somewhere. My point being they had the "our way is the only way attitude". They basically dogged me and stayed "on topic" even after I decided to discontinue our conversation. Had they been social and explained there philosophy and configurations I would have sat and listened and probably learned a great deal. While I'm sure there are many great guys that subscribe to the DIR philosophy, I did'nt have the pleasure of meeting them.

by those two. The GUE trained people I have meet have been nothing but friendly. There are putzes in all groups.

Chad

Amazingly enough I have run into divers that have done nothing other than purchase the gear and purchase and read the Fundamentals book and they feel they are DIR. They have been the ones like the two described on the boat unfortunately. On the flip-side, I have seen divers that purchase the gear and book and just start asking a million questions until they can get themselves into a Fundamentals course.

There is no pre-requisite in the RB80 course standards that says if you already dive another rebreather you can't dive the RB80. (with the proper training)

The guys were just being jerks. Sorry you ran into them.

My first experience meeting up with someone that dives an Inspiration, was mixed, and it was only because of the individuals. One was cool and would talk my arm off about the unit, his buddy was a jerk and wanted nothing to do with any other RB divers.

Some people will give you the shirt off their back...others will steal it from you.

CrazyC

How this topic comes up all the time. I own a jacket bc right now, but I am always aiming to be horizontal in the water...sometimes it can be a little rough, but im pretty good about it.

I read a nice little DIR article on the deco stop and I'll be the first to admit I am pretty ignorant about any other setups out there...I am comfortable with my setup, am happy.

However, I heard the jacket style wings help make you horizontal..is that true? I always enjoy watching the video of them doing their safety stop while being horizontal with the bottom part of their legs perpendicular to the surface. I think that would help me with my videography skills. Also, my split fins..I can backup in them, but it is a hard energy wasting process..I am thinking of moving to the non-splitters.

I think people get all caught up in the 'DIR' acronym. I use to make fun of it to get people going, but after reading more about it, some of their concepts make sense. I might make a gear switch soon to check it out, heck there is even a DIR class coming in my area soon..might be filled up though.

Jason

jepuskar once bubbled...
I always enjoy watching the video of them doing their safety stop while being horizontal with the bottom part of their legs perpendicular to the surface. I think that would help me with my videography skills.

Jason,

It will tremendously improve anyone's video that the only problem is jerkiness. Deco is Sooooo much more comfortable in that position too!

CrazyC

I can't believe what I'm reading! I know you're not drinking kool-aid yet, but you're getting close!

In ref to back inflates, any back inflate will help keep you horizontal more than any jacket BC. Yes, you can do it in a jacket Netdoc, but it's a whole lot easier in a wing type. The reason for this is in physics. Think of where the air cell is located on both.

In a jacket, it's on the sides mostly. That places your weight (the tank) above you, and your bouyancy (the air) below you. The physics wants to reverse that, thus forcing you to constantly adjust.

In a BP/wings, the air cell is wrapped around the weight up above you. There is no tendency for anything to switch postions. In a nutshell, it really works great.

But please understand that the equipment alone won't do it for you. You need to learn it and to practice.

jepuskar once bubbled...
How this topic comes up all the time. I own a jacket bc right now, but I am always aiming to be horizontal in the water...sometimes it can be a little rough, but im pretty good about it.

I read a nice little DIR article on the deco stop and I'll be the first to admit I am pretty ignorant about any other setups out there...I am comfortable with my setup, am happy.

However, I heard the jacket style wings help make you horizontal..is that true? I always enjoy watching the video of them doing their safety stop while being horizontal with the bottom part of their legs perpendicular to the surface. I think that would help me with my videography skills. Also, my split fins..I can backup in them, but it is a hard energy wasting process..I am thinking of moving to the non-splitters.

I think people get all caught up in the 'DIR' acronym. I use to make fun of it to get people going, but after reading more about it, some of their concepts make sense. I might make a gear switch soon to check it out, heck there is even a DIR class coming in my area soon..might be filled up though.

Jason

I like to learn....and I know I can improve my skills. I am real comfortable now, but I think I can be even more comfortable in the water.

It is not just about the gear configs....some of the skills they do I want to learn.

detroit diver once bubbled...
I can't believe what I'm reading! I know you're not drinking kool-aid yet, but you're getting close!

Whoops,

Good catch Detriot! I saw "wing" and didn't see the rest where it said (jacket style wing). I guess I shouldn't reply to anything without making it through the first cup of coffee!:)

Thanks for keeping me straight!

CrazyC

Braunbehrens once bubbled...

I think we need to start pigeonholing people in a different way. The assumption that they acted like that BECAUSE they were DIR is just simply wrong.

Yes, there are some DIR divers who are jerks.
Just like anywhere else.

True to a point, but is it really wrong? If you look at at the top guru/vanguards of DIR you will find some definate people who are bitter and love their ego stroking. This attacts others around them who are of the like mineset. Combine this with the culture of the forums they created and I could easily see why people come to the conclusion mentioned above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom