Dir-?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saturated

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys this is kind of a ***** so bear with me. First a little history. Ive been diving breathers since 84' and currently own several. 10 years military and commercial ever since. Am I an expert? no way, I learn sometimes even from the newest of divers.

Here's the *****. I recently took up the hobby of spearfishing on occasion. In Florida it is illeagal to shoot on a breather so I find myself on OC occasionaly. Recently I was on a boat with my Inspiration just shooting some pics. There were a couple guys there with some pretty streamlined rigs. Overall a nice looking setup. So After taking my breather off I went over to strike up a conversation and get some info. I walked over and said I really liked the way they had there gear set up. Nice and clean. I havent had a tank on in over 10 years till recently so most of the OC stuff has changed drastically since last time a partook.

One of the guys looked at me and said it was a DIR setup and I couldnt get one because I'm a breather diver. He then proceeded to tell me how all us rebreather divers have it wrong and the only true rebreather is a halcyon. Not wanting to start an argument I just asked for info on the gear, and I was told that rebreather divers were not allowed to enter any DIR programs, and that is where all the info is.

On the second dive I decided to see just how good these overweight pros were in the water. The rude one swam verticall and had no trim. The second guy was all over the place, up-down, up-down. Basicallly your typical rooks. Nothing wrong with that in itself but to be all knowing and to have skills like that, I was not impressed.

You know I have always loved to share information, I've gotten more guys in my pool on a breather more times than I can count. I also know that I dont know it all, and will never know it all. Diving is an evolutionary proccess. I just cant believe the egos on these guys for obviously having very little experience. That is exactly what kills people, egos.

Anyway from that experience I have totallly lost any respect for that "religion " or whatever it is. You know I went to a little school in panama city, fl. I always thought they were doing it right. But according to these DIR pilots I'm sure the Navy does'nt have a clue either.

Sorry to rant, just never seen anything like the rudeness and egos of these guys. If thats what DIR breeds, my boat will now have a no DIR allowed sticker.:upset:

That is not what DIR is all about. If you look at what has been written by MHK and some of the more experienced DIR guys, you'll see what DIR is really all about. Also, if you go to GUE's website and get Andrew Georgitsis's email address, you can email him and get all the info you need on GUE's position on rebreathers. Andrew does most the rebreather training for GUE and I'm sure he would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

It sounds like you ran into some DIR gear wearing wannabe's. I have only personally met a few "true" DIR divers and found them extremely polite and not rude or obnoxious know it alls. Seems like a lot of the DIR gear wearing clones have the worst attitudes.

Thats right they could not possibly have been 'true' DIR divers. They must have been some morons 'pretending' to be DIR. A true DIR diver would never be rude or show such arogance.

(the above is sarcasm for those in the US that dont recognise it)

More DIR elitist rubbish - just in a different guise.

Thanks for the responses. As I said I havent been diving OC in a long time. I'm usually the last one to badmouth an "agency or philosophy" as it s usually the instructor that ultimately determines the competency of his/her students. These guys just really got under my skin. I'm glad to hear not all "dir" guys have that attitude. That expience left a real bad taste in my mouth.

idiot fish once bubbled...
Thats right they could not possibly have been 'true' DIR divers. They must have been some morons 'pretending' to be DIR. A true DIR diver would never be rude or show such arogance.

So have you had a personal bad experience with a DIR diver and im not talking about the ones wearing the gear trying to look cool but swim along feet dragging the ground and cant maintain buoyancy to save their lives. There is more to DIR than just wearing the gear.If you have had a bad experience lets hear it. If not, what are you complaining about

I am just pointing out that my "personal experiences" have been great with the ones i have met at my local diving spots. That may not be the same for everyone.

I personally dive close to a DIR gear set up but dont consider myself a DIR diver.

Ya know,

They say that screen names really fit the people that are behind them.

idiot fish once bubbled...

Hey idiot fish,

Before you start spouting "for those in the US" type tripe, how about filling your profile out and letting us all know where you are from?

I see you're a new user around here, stick around a bit longer and you'll see that ScubaBoard is more community-oriented than your usual online forum, so play nicely please :)

regards

saturated once bubbled...
Sorry to rant, just never seen anything like the rudeness and egos of these guys. If thats what DIR breeds, my boat will now have a no DIR allowed sticker.:upset:

All the tech divers I have met have been great (above and below the water).

saturated once bubbled...
One of the guys looked at me and said it was a DIR setup and I couldnt get one because I'm a breather diver. He then proceeded to tell me how all us rebreather divers have it wrong and the only true rebreather is a halcyon. Not wanting to start an argument I just asked for info on the gear, and I was told that rebreather divers were not allowed to enter any DIR programs, and that is where all the info is.

I think we need to start pigeonholing people in a different way. The assumption that they acted like that BECAUSE they were DIR is just simply wrong. You wouldn't think that they acted like that because they were white, or because they had black hair, or because they were republicans? There are a-holes everywhere, and that is what you encountered. Nothing to do with DIR.

Yes, there are some DIR divers who are jerks. There are some DIR divers who are incredibly helpful, and there are DIR divers who are somewhere in between.

Just like anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom