Dir-?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chrpai,

If you think about the numbers, that is till just a very few people being less than 'loveable' for a lack of a better term. There are people all over the globe learning to dive DIR and accepting it as a way of diving that are not ego driven and don't need people around them to reaffirm that.

CrazyC

jepuskar once bubbled...
I think people get all caught up in the 'DIR' acronym. I used to make fun of it to get people going, but after reading more about it, some of their concepts make sense. I might make a gear switch soon to check it out, heck there is even a DIR class coming up in my area soon..might be filled up though.

Jason

Jason definitely has the right idea here when he says that "people get all caught up in the 'DIR" acronym." People who view it as a religion and take the "our way or the highway" approach give the subject a very bad odor in the minds of the general tech diving public (if you will pardon the mixed metaphors)! This tends to obscure that fact that there ARE things to be learned from that school of thought.

When I took up tech diving as a serious past-time, my guru, if you will was, and is, Frans Vandermolen, who is a member of the Board of Advisors for IANTD. What he said was: "When it comes to equipment, there is no ONE way to do the job. If you want to make a change to your gear, analyze WHY you want to do it. With that firmly in mind, be SURE, through testing, that it will do what you want it to do reliably. Then use it!"

That is the long form of Sheck Exley's words, as quoted on this board by Caveseeker7: "What works, works!"

Where it all goes sideways is when people appoint themselves "Acolytes of the High Priest" and try to act as religious police for diving, as in the incident so aptly noted by Saturation.

I would have to agree with Braunbehrens, (and he may find it strange that I do), when he said: "I think we need to start pigeonholing people in a different way. The assumption that they acted like that BECAUSE they were DIR is just simply wrong. You wouldn't think that they acted like that because they were white, or because they had black hair, or because they were Democrats? There are a-holes everywhere, and that is what you encountered. Nothing to do with DIR."

As I say, I DO agree! The only caveat I would have to that is the notation that certain of the "High Priests" of that philosophy encourage that kind of behavior with their very public ravings!

We should never stop learning. If we do, our minds just die off from disuse. As Caveseeker7 also quotes: "Complacency kills!"---Richard Pyle.:)

... so eloquently putting my signature quotes into your post. Got them because I think they're both dead on target. Thanks.

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...

... that certain of the "High Priests" of that philosophy encourage that kind of behavior with their very public ravings!
chrpai once bubbled...

If you look at at the top guru/vanguards of DIR you will find some definate people who are bitter and love their ego stroking

I think you're both on to something here. While he certainly has achieved a lot, neither modesty nor tolerance seem to be in the head honcho's vocabulary. So if you idolise Him, it's probably easy to pick up the bad traits ... :( And with Him spreading the gospel on the net I'm sure he has a huge audience (though probably not as large as His ego). He stomps on people's toes left and right with His rants, and plenty of believers chime in ... :upset:

Is there anybody here that hasn't yet read His infamous Inspiration rant?
http://www.innerrealm.co.nz/dir_details.asp?pk=37

If you go back far enough in the RB posts, you'll find Madmole's answer. It's a great read. :D Yet some people still wonder why we don't love Him and the true believers. :confused:

Now how about some DIR-Diving Inspiration Rebreathers shirts and stickers ?:D

Edited for content: Went back and reread it.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=13047&perpage=15&display=&pagenumber=3

Thanks for all the posts,

DIR I've recently done a great deal of reading and examination. DIR does indeed have a great deal to teach. I'll be the first to say my OC skills need a rework. Like I said earlier I've been diving ccr's for going on 20 years, OC dives are few and far between.

I have to say though that from reading the posts on this board and others alot of tempers get hot over this subject. In truth I never met anyone claiming to be DIR until I met the above mentioned asses.

I'm the first to admit that DIR may have a great deal to offer. In fact I plan to take a class to better judge for myself.........

In reference to the "inspiration or expiration". It's kind of funny I've heard it called that and never really knew where they got that from. Most if not all conclusions, especially about the cell placement make absolutely no sense.....All rebreathers, whether its a glad bag with hoses attached or inspiration, all have the same risks. Hypercapnia,hyperoxia,hypoxia. To claim otherwise is riddiculous.

crazyc once bubbled...
Chrpai,

If you think about the numbers, that is till just a very few people being less than 'loveable' for a lack of a better term. There are people all over the globe learning to dive DIR and accepting it as a way of diving that are not ego driven and don't need people around them to reaffirm that.

CrazyC

True, very few... but they are at the top of the food chain and if they weren't there there would be alot less followers of bad behavior. For some I think its a good cop bad cop thing. Entice certain non-official agents to use the bad cop method and then come in and control them acting like the good cop. MHK Once said:

"This is a plea to the recent proliferation of DIR proponents that have joined this list as a result of the challenge on the Quest list"

Notice the last part of that sentance. "challenge on the Quest list". Now I don't pay to be on that list so I don't know what exactly was said, but obviously it was a call to spread the word. And judging from the "culture" that I know to be on that list a resonible person should have known what woud happen. They did, and thats when they step in with the good cop.

Personally I think its all a strange calculated plan to attract both types of personalities to grow the movement.

I've just sent Inner Realm a demand for royalties for the illegal use of my shovel picture and a reminder that they can be prosecuted for slander if they publish lies

DIR=Great Marketing,

Dont have much use for it, but then again I dive gear not sanctioned by them. Inspirations are on the top of their hit list.
Why? Because they've taken the market......

madmole once bubbled...
I've just sent Inner Realm a demand for royalties for the illegal use of my shovel picture and a reminder that they can be prosecuted for slander if they publish lies
And did Paul reply to you yet? :D

Tigerscuba once bubbled...
DIR=Great Marketing,

Dont have much use for it, but then again I dive gear not sanctioned by them. Inspirations are on the top of their hit list.
Why? Because they've taken the market......

DIR=great instruction.

If they wanted to market to the masses, they would drastically lower their standards. Kind of like others do now.

chrpai once bubbled...

True, very few... but they are at the top of the food chain and if they weren't there there would be alot less followers of bad behavior. For some I think its a good cop bad cop thing. Entice certain non-official agents to use the bad cop method and then come in and control them acting like the good cop. MHK Once said:

"This is a plea to the recent proliferation of DIR proponents that have joined this list as a result of the challenge on the Quest list"

Notice the last part of that sentance. "challenge on the Quest list". Now I don't pay to be on that list so I don't know what exactly was said, but obviously it was a call to spread the word. And judging from the "culture" that I know to be on that list a resonible person should have known what woud happen. They did, and thats when they step in with the good cop.

Personally I think its all a strange calculated plan to attract both types of personalities to grow the movement.

LOL, man, do you take drugs for paranoia?

The "challenge", a really poor choice of words btw, was nothing more than a crosspost. Someone here was accused of teaching "DIR" even though they were obviously not qualified. Some of us thought "what the heck?" and came over here to check it out. That's all.

I personally like this forum, and that is why I stayed.

Yes, I like it when people get turned on to GUE and DIR, because I think it's a great way to dive, and it means I'll be more likely to find decent buddies if I go on a trip. No, I'm not being paid, and I have no affiliation with GUE other than being a member of course and having taken some of their classes.

What you have to understand, is that people don't push DIR because of some conspiracy. They do it because they used to dive differently, and now feel that learning to dive DIR was a revelation. They want to share this with fellow divers.

It's a very natural reaction...if you read a good book, you tell people about it, don't you? Are you paid by the publisher?

Back
Top Bottom