DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well here we go. I think Jonnythan should apply for a new job as Nostradamus. He predicted this happening in post #4.

Viscya, it sounds like you were unable to complete DIR-F. Perhaps telling us about your experience would help move this thread along....

R..

android:
Fly It Right (FIR) Forum
Q: <enters catatonic state>help me.....

Nice.....

Q: Once I land on the carrier can I launch again?

FIR: No, the catapult would rip your Cessna appart.

Diver0001:
Viscya, it sounds like you were unable to complete DIR-F. Perhaps telling us about your experience would help move this thread along....

R..

Say what? I never said I took it. I said I read the manual and agree with 90% of it.

I will never take DIR-F because I do not agree with the generalizations made. I do however practice the skills regularly. That is why I said "With a little effort, I could probably pass."

Maybe I would and maybe I would not, but that's another thread.

My question was, could you pass DIR-F and not be DIR?

Viscya:
Say what? I never said I took it. I said I read the manual and agree with 90% of it.

I will never take DIR-F because I do not agree with the generalizations made. I do however practice the skills regularly. That is why I said "With a little effort, I could probably pass."

Maybe I would and maybe I would not, but that's another thread.

My question was, could you pass DIR-F and not be DIR?

Oh sorry. I misread you then.... never mind.

R..

Diver0001:
Well here we go. I think Jonnythan should apply for a new job as Nostradamus. He predicted this happening in post #4.

R..
He's a psychic - helps with solving mystery cases for the police too :wink:

Viscya:
All gear should be common between team members. Since I'm 6'6" that is not always practical in some cases.
I'm not understanding how your size would prevent you from having similar gear configuration to your team members. I am probably missing something simple, but I don't know what. Please explain.

Viscya:
The ten commandments was a biblical reference, implying that DIR is often followed it religiously.

They do have some "rules": Don't dive with strokes, and never dive solo. There are a few more.
So because GUE has rules of practice, that means its a religion, whereas rules of practice for IANTD, or TDI, or PADI are just normal. This implication that DIR divers are nothing more than misguided religious zealots is not much above name-calling. I don't mind debating the merits of DIR, but I'm hoping the level of argument on the other side isn't "I think you guys are nuts."

Unless you have to do DECO stops where you must keep your depth within 1 ft, while you are closing valves and practising OOA in a zero viz environment, you won't be able to understand DIR.

Back
Top Bottom