DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"There's no ME in DIR"
No "I" in team means it's a team sport...no ME in DIR means I'm not DIR. That's how I read it anyway...
jason

I would truly love to be a DIR diver,
if I wasn't an overweight alcoholic smoker.
And that is where personal choice comes into play.

I guess Dweeb hit the point. All I have seen are more virulent posts from divers who have never taken a DIR class, audited a class, dove with a DIR diver, met a DIR instrcutor, but have founded their opinions strictly via the internet. Close minded.........? :eek:verload: :14:

msandler:
I knew Irving (before many of you had a C-card). GI would be bashing away on email lists more than a decade ago, trying to get people to be "open" to considering HIS principles. Honestly, lots of great advice from someone who has achieved amazing accomplishments. Also plenty of flames to match and lots of criticism of divers the likes of; Mount,Gentry,Gilliam,Exley,Stone,etc. At least Irving himself walks-the-talk!
Sorry, I can't resist. You know him THAT well, and you don't know his name is Irvine not Irving?

The only trouble I have with the whole, 'seeking the perfect dive method', is that it precludes the notion that some diving methods, like some types of cars, are not suited for some tasks. You wouldn't take a Bentley deer hunting, and you wouldn't give your granny a Nextel Cup car. (And don't waste time being a wise a$$ and post, "Oh, yes I would." You wouldn't)

To dive on a bug hunt, a halibut hunt, the Andrea Doria, or Ginnie require different styles of diving and equipment configuration. One style, one configuration isn't going to cut it in every situation.

Hey TJ,

Thats actually a good reason. I dont agree but that dosent matter. I like it when folks can get thier point across (like TJ just did) and not resort to calling all whole DIR crowd names.

The reason I dont agree is cause folks DO dive the Doria and caves and such in a DIR fashion. Cant really speak for hunting.

jjsteffen:
I guess Dweeb hit the point. All I have seen are more virulent posts from divers who have never taken a DIR class, audited a class, dove with a DIR diver, met a DIR instrcutor, but have founded their opinions strictly via the internet. Close minded.........? :wavey:" border="0" alt="" title="" smilieid="1371" class="inlineimg" /> :14:
There are a lot of DIR-F divers that never would have known there was such a thing as DIR without the internet. The internet is where DIR is publicised. It is where a lot of potential DIR divers make their decisions. It has a much larger internet presence than real world presence. There are boats and Instructors out there diving every day that have never heard of DIR. A lot of those who have heard of it, have heard about it from customers, who heard about it on the internet. ...............and yes a lot of people have formed their opinion about it, good or bad, from the internet. There are those who decided to dive DIR and those that don't. It's a big ocean with room for both.

DennisS:
There are a lot of DIR-F divers that never would have known there was such a thing as DIR without the internet. The internet is where DIR is publicised. It is where a lot of potential DIR divers make their decisions. It has a much larger internet presence than real world presence. There are boats and Instructors out there diving every day that have never heard of DIR. A lot of those who have heard of it, have heard about it from customers, who heard about it on the internet. ...............and yes a lot of people have formed their opinion about it, good or bad, from the internet. There are those who decided to dive DIR and those that don't. It's a big ocean with room for both.
This is a very good point. According to the GUE website there are only 34 instructors worldwide - without the internet it would have taken years to spread anywhere.

jjsteffen:
I guess Dweeb hit the point. All I have seen are more virulent posts from divers who have never taken a DIR class, audited a class, dove with a DIR diver, met a DIR instrcutor, but have founded their opinions strictly via the internet. Close minded.........? :eek:verload: :14:

Interesting, I dont see that here. I see a lot of people who are DIR or have dove with DIR divers have an open discussion.

Now who's being closed minded.

EDIT:

This is the type of trolling that gives DIR a bad name on the Internet.

The discussion is what gives DIR a bad name: Is it the name?
There is no need to be DIR to answer.

Kim:
This is a very good point. According to the GUE website there are only 34 instructors worldwide - without the internet it would have taken years to spread anywhere.

Last I had heard, of those instructors listed, only about 12 or so were active...

jjsteffen:

This tread was about the name DIR being offensive to some divers.( which it is) I've read all the posts and the DIRs are holding their own on this thread But some of them (won't name names) can't stand that there are other opinions and options . (that's closed minded)

How come the DIR crowd won't concider the non DIR crowds techniques. Is the pull and glide DIR? It is unless you do it solo. Is the frog kick DIR ? It is unless you breath the short hose. and I'd like to know why you can't solo dive, if your some of the best trained divers out there.(feel free to open your mind)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom