DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison:
What incredible BS!
I drive a Chevy, my buddy drives a Ford. No problem. It isn't a question of right or wrong - it's a question of preference.

Oh?
Riddle me this, then...
"To quote Bill Gavin regarding gear, a diver must 'settle for nothing less than perfection. Those who do will discover on their own the value of such effort. Those who do not will never understand what the others are talking about'. What we have presented here is called the 'Doing It Right' system, and is a platform that is integrated completely and accommodates all contingencies and additions, but no phobias." Doing it Right Gear Configuration by George Irvine
I fail to see *any* wiggle room in that one!

I'd call 'em unimaginative, unmotivated to find their own best way and someone operating short of their own potential. I would characterize the way I dive as within the set of many safe ways, never as the "right" way - any more than I'd characterize my Chevy as the "right" car.

Interesting perception. I do object to the term "DIR" as defined by GUE and the self-proclaimed "DIR" adherents. They, for their part, claim "DIR" as their own - and that claim is what flies in the face of "objective truth."
Rick

Take no prisoners big daddy. or the carpetbaggers will take everything again.:)

I’ve read the GUE manuals. I agree with 90% of it. I’ve adopted 85% of it. Some of it does not work for me, and does not work on the boats I dive on. By the DIR definition, I therefore have an unsafe attitude and am a Stroke, not DIR.

Let me throw this out. Can you pass DIR-F and not be DIR? I have most of the skills for DIR-F. With a little effort, I could probably pass. However I do not agree with one equipment configuration fitting all circumstances. Nor do I agree with the one size fits all mentality. Therefore, my diving would not be DIR.

Does that mean I’m not seeking the best / safest way to dive. NO! I am seeking the best way to dive in my environment. That is where I have an issue with DIR.

After going through the GUE site again and reading all the information available, they really don't appear to intend for DIR diving to be a replacement for recreational/sport diving.

To start DIR-F, you need an existing cert. The fundamentals provide you with the starting point to their cert progressions, all of which are based on overhead/technical diving designed to meet their goals of expanded education and exploration.

DIR concept apparently arose from problems and extreme variations in the cave diving community and the DIR name came from selecting the best practices, most effiicent systems for those environments. Yes, the concepts work in all evnironments, but DIR diving (from the sites verbiage) is not meant as a competing agency (especially as DIR-F requires another agency's cert).

This information from GUE's own site would trend to mean that DIR diving and rec/sport diving work quite well together and one calling the other a failure is rather mute (much like calling a night specialty better than a wreck specialty...it all depends on the kind of diving you do).

So, if you're like most of us and simply enjoy blowing bubbles, great! If you're like others of us that enjoy something a little different, great! If you want technical diving certs, DIR sounds wonderful. If you don't want technical diving certs, don't worry about it. Just (both sides) respect that we each have our own wants and desires and that does not negate the others. We're really talking about two different types of diving here.

Viscya:
I’ve read the GUE manuals. I agree with 90% of it. I’ve adopted 85% of it. Some of it does not work for me, and does not work on the boats I dive on. By the DIR definition, I therefore have an unsafe attitude and am a Stroke, not DIR.

How do you figure this? Just becuz you are not DIR does not mean that you are a stroke or unsafe. Its not an either you are DIR or you area stroke type situation. We don't dive with unsafe divers, whether it they are not physically fit, they have bad gear configuration, they have an unsafe mentality or outlook, poor planning, or lack the training for the dive they are about to do. This would be unsafe in my mind, and so I do not dive with divers that i see possess this qualities. You can be a safe diver and not be DIR.

tbuckalew:
After going through the GUE site again and reading all the information available, they really don't appear to intend for DIR diving to be a replacement for recreational/sport diving.

To start DIR-F, you need an existing cert. The fundamentals provide you with the starting point to their cert progressions, all of which are based on overhead/technical diving designed to meet their goals of expanded education and exploration.

DIR concept apparently arose from problems and extreme variations in the cave diving community and the DIR name came from selecting the best practices, most effiicent systems for those environments. Yes, the concepts work in all evnironments, but DIR diving (from the sites verbiage) is not meant as a competing agency (especially as DIR-F requires another agency's cert).

This information from GUE's own site would trend to mean that DIR diving and rec/sport diving work quite well together and one calling the other a failure is rather mute (much like calling a night specialty better than a wreck specialty...it all depends on the kind of diving you do).

So, if you're like most of us and simply enjoy blowing bubbles, great! If you're like others of us that enjoy something a little different, great! If you want technical diving certs, DIR sounds wonderful. If you don't want technical diving certs, don't worry about it. Just (both sides) respect that we each have our own wants and desires and that does not negate the others. We're really talking about two different types of diving here.

The DIRF course can be very beneficial to divers that never plan to so overhead or technical diving. GUE does not currently have a basic open water course, all though there have been rumors for ahwile now that the plans for one is in the works. DIRF works on basic skills and fine tunes them. Without being proficient in basic skills, instructors would have to work on those skills with students prior to teaching them cave or tech courses. Making DIRF a prerequste to further GUE training saves the instructor time in the class, because he knows that all his students are on the same page at the start of class.

Wendy:
How do you figure this? Just becuz you are not DIR does not mean that you are a stroke or unsafe.

Wendy,

Not to hijack the thread, but I was referring to myself, and in some cases others. I do a lot of video. I am mostly solo. This is by definition an unsafe attitude to DIR. I am therefore a Stroke.

I am configured mostly DIR (except for the one size fits all thing), I have the skills, but do not follow the ten commandments.

Viscya:
I am configured mostly DIR (except for the one size fits all thing), I have the skills, but do not follow the ten commandments.
What does this mean? What is this reference to "one size fits all"? What are the "ten commandments"?

WJL:
What does this mean? What is this reference to "one size fits all"? What are the "ten commandments"?

All gear should be common between team members. Since I'm 6'6" that is not always practical in some cases.

The ten commandments was a biblical reference, implying that DIR is often followed it religiously.

They do have some "rules": Don't dive with strokes, and never dive solo. There are a few more.

Viscya:
They do have some "rules": Don't dive with strokes, and never dive solo.
Isn't that redundant? :)

Roak

Fly It Right (FIR) Forum

Q: When I am landing my airplane, how soon after the wheels touch the ground should I cut the throttle?

FIR: You should not cut the throttle, you should go to full throttle immediately and let you tailhook catch the wire. Then you can fly away safely if you miss the wire. You can cut the throttle after you buddy has signaled that you have caught the wire.

Q: My airplane doesn't have a tailhook. I just want to land at the general aviation airport. I don't have a flying buddy.

FIR: You really should get a tailhook. Hook-Rite is the best one. You will need it when you want to land on an aircraft carrier. Have you taken the FIR-F course? Everyone that takes is amazed by what a lousy flyer they really are. If you take the course, you will learn how to use the tailhook. You should always fly with a buddy who has a 7' aerial refueling hose, what if you ran out of fuel?

Q: I just have Cessna that I like to fly for fun. I already have pilot's license. I just watch the fuel gauge on the instrument panel and land when I need more.

FIR: Oh, an instrument panel? They're not really a good idea. You should get a separate fuel gauge that you clip to your right shoulder D ring.

Q: OK, but I still don't think I need a tailhook. I don't really think I will ever want to land on an aircraft carrier.

FIR: After you get more experience, you will. You should get the right airplane from the start. The agency that issued your pilot's license has very low standards. They just want to get as many people flying as possible to make more money. .

Q: <enters catatonic state>help me.....

There, did I cover most of it? :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom