DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By the way JAG, trust you to start this one up!:eyebrow:

opiniongirl:
I am now starting in production of

"I (heart) DIR" and "There's no ME in DIR" bumper stickers - catering to both sides of this delightful debate.

I may have to sick my intellectual property lawyer on you since you are dangerously close to my territory with my shirt that states "I'm not DIR, but my buddy is"

Kim:
The thing that constantly amazes me is the presumption of ownership. The fact is that there is nothing new in DIR - its simply a coddling together of the best diving practices that people have developed over the years.

I don't think I've ever seen a claim to the contrary. I know there are is the occasional thing that was developed by the WKPP and the occasional GUE instructor mistakes it for a GUE developed technique; but in general terms I've never seen GUE ever state that the skills and techniques are nothing more than a collection presented in an interlinked package.

I have been searching for a post, but not sure if it was on this board or on another that explained how the name "Doing It Right" was picked. It has something to do with when the WKPP was getting choosen by the state of FLorida for the Wakulla dives. I wish I could find it, as it explains everything very well. And no it had nothing to do with attitudes, and "i'm right, you're wrong" mentality.

jonnythan:
I don't know anyone who believes that except people who are rabidly anti-DIR for whatever reason. I've never met a DIR diver who feels that way, and the attitude you describe is rare online, and nonexistant on the three major boards, including this one.

It's threads like this that get people riled up. Here's my prediction: DIR guys will come and calmly explain their case, and they will get attacked, called names, and accused of calling everyone else strokes.
I don't know, this guy here seems to convey that attitude and he seems to be pro DIR
Read "DIR or don't do it" on this link
http://www.frogkick.nl/

That's an article by George Irvine.

I also specifically said it's *rare*, not nonexistant. A quick groups.google.com search on Jammer Six will prove that to you in a heartbeat.

jonnythan:
That's an article by George Irvine.

I also specifically said it's *rare*, not nonexistant. A quick groups.google.com search on Jammer Six will prove that to you in a heartbeat.

So is there any chance that His attitudes might be reflected in His followers?

It's not a religion, DIR divers are not "followers" of George Irvine. He obviously had a lot to do with the formation of DIR, but no one gets drawn into DIR because they wanna be like George. George does not teach DIR classes. Very few DIR divers have ever met him, and many DIR divers resent his attitude.

Give me a break.

Wendy:
I have been searching for a post, but not sure if it was on this board or on another that explained how the name "Doing It Right" was picked. It has something to do with when the WKPP was getting choosen by the state of FLorida for the Wakulla dives. I wish I could find it, as it explains everything very well. And no it had nothing to do with attitudes, and "i'm right, you're wrong" mentality.

That's the sound of the match striking the flint. You might want to look up the history of WKPP and the divers that started that project for the NSS-CDS , and how GUE split from that. Or you can ask Bill Hogarth Main.

But whatever you do, don't tell anybody I told you about this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom