DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lairdb:
What boggles me is that it's become so contentious that even though DIR is supposed to be a continually evolving and adapting system, always open-minded and ready to change if provably better alternatives arise, the DIR section mods are now squelching even reasoned discussion of changes.

Maybe the mods could set up a "DIR Debate" section for free-for-all.

But if the DIR section is "information only", then that's what they should enforce.

Much as I hate moderation (I tend to make it 30-40 days anywhere before being kicked for filleting a mod), the rules seem pretty clear.

lairdb:
Apparently only certain people up high on Mount Halcyon are permitted to explore and raise for discussion possible changes to the system.

Facetious as you may be, this is exactly correct.

There are only two people on the face of the earth that can make those decisions.

And last I looked, they ain't too concerned with the popular vote.

That's why y'all can argue all y'all want about diction, spelling and technique, but it's just not a democracy.

Thank you nwgratefull diver.
I feel our private meeting was both productive and insightfull.You were absolutly right on all points,and I look forward to being an asset to scubaboard.

P.S Big fish didn't get to be big fish by snapping at every piece of bate that comes by,and small fish don't get to be big fish by doing stupid things.

novadiver:
Way to go dweeb, you just took both sides of every issue.You are now the king troll on scuba board. your opinion does not matter because you have no opinion except the opposing opinion of anyone you talk too.

Let me help you with your obvious quandry.

As you know,

There are pro-DIR people.

There are anti-DIR people.

What you don't seem to know is:

There are the others.

Those who believe in many of the aspects of DIR, but ain't buying the package.

As students of DIR and experienced divers, we find those who hoot DIR annoy us because they're rarely fully compliant, particularly in attitude, like many of the (anecdotal) examples of idiocy related here.

Then those who are partisan detractors of DIR (that would be you) annoy us, because you usually haven't the slightest grasp of the holistic concept.

You just rant and rave continually because some -alleged- DIR dufus whizzed in your cornflakes, quite possibly because you did something foolish on the boat or in the water, and it left a LP130 chip on your shoulder.

Three things I can clearly state.

I've never seen a DIR tenet that wasn't an excellent idea,

Never met anyone who switched to a backplate, thought it sucked, and went back to a BC,

Never met someone who actually had the sac to take DIR-F that didn't think it was the best thing since compressed air.

So, flush out your headgear, newguy, and educate yourself on what you despise.

dweeb:
That way, we could get to the root of your failure to understand the point.

Whaht we have heah...

is a fail-yuh to comunicate...

gedunk:
And yet, somehow i don't want the Marine Corps to be teaching Calculus. Teaching people how to shoot an x-ring at 600 yards is one thing but teaching upper level math and sciences is a whole different cat.

I'm laughing my a$$ off just thinking about my DI trying to teach something like that.:)

Wonder what the Mids at Canoe U. think about that.

Keysdrifter454:
Whaht we have heah...

is a fail-yuh to comunicate...
Some men... you just can't reach...

so you get what we had here last week...

which is the way he wants it...

NWGratefulDiver:
You don't need to ... it's obvious.
It's also becoming increasingly obvious that your style of conversation is at odds with what we want this board to represent.

That would be... Logic?

NWGratefulDiver:
Eventually, we'll have to make a business decision.
Consider your choices.

"This isn't a matter of "power" ... it's a matter of respect and discretion."

"I'd do the same for you ... even if the respect wasn't (and isn't being) reciprocated."

Just not today, apparently.

Nomaster:
Or they just don't want to hijack the thread.
Maybe we need an "Issues" thread.

Tom

W/all due respect to NWGD, if he initiated it publically in the thread, he should be prepared to discuss it in the thread.

His blatent threat to Dweeb was personal, direct, indescreet, and uncalled for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom