DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FreeFloat:
nova, while I thank you for the compliment: it's statements like this: that spur certain people to make the 'non-adult' comments that they do. Perhaps comments that do not directly contribute to the topic of the thread should be restrained or re worded.........

Can't the same be said of our freind dweeb?

detroit diver:
I think you're missing an important distinction.

It's okay for a non-DIR diver to ask questions in the DIR forum of DIR divers. That is how one gains knowledge of something he/she doesn't know.

It's quite another thing for the ANSWER to come from someone that is not DIR. Not only could the message/answer be incorrect, but if it's allowed to continue then any message from that person could be construed as being always correct.

In your case, the solo diver tag (whether you put it there or not) tells someone that is looking for DIR info that solo diving is acceptable in DIR. Of course, nothing is further from the truth. That may not be the intended result, but it's never the less the perception regardless of whether you profess your non-DIR 'ness or not.

Just MHO.

Yah...but...

Sometimes, some of those who claim to be DIR offer answers to DIR questions that are less accurate...in DIR terms... than answers given by those who don't claim to be DIR.

Wierd!

Stephen

novadiver:
I really like the debates with, freefloat, soggy, O-ring, and cornfed. They seem to make the point in an adult maner.
It would appear that someone has broken into my account and is posting under my name... :wink:

GDI:
The "W": Novadiver put a "W" on the word "right" saying he did that for you I wasn't sure why either you would have to ask him
Pure speculation, but was it a play on words of right, rite and wright - with the former pair being discussed already in this thread along with BDS as an alternative name and of course the W to do with Wendy (for some unknown reason) and the "right" part again playing with words. Of course Doing It Wright would be the same acronym as Doing It Wrong - which so many anti-DIR divers seemed to jokingly label themselves when discussing the DIR name. Some words, a phrase.......

Wow, 250 replies. But then again, this topic tends to be a hot one that pops up every 3 to 4 months.

SO.....not to be left out and feel like I'm the only one who has not had a kick at this can, here is my great and most enlightening addition to the conversation. :eyebrow:

As of right now, I have meet in person only 4 divers who were self described DIR divers. Unfortunately for the rest of the DIR divers out in the world, they came across as the most self-centered, self-righteous, and self-absorbed group of jerks one could ever have the displeasure of crossing paths with. The most egregious verbal assault was made to myself and my buddy, who at that time were gearing up for a dive to 260 feet. This was our 6th dive to that spot that month and our dive plan was simple, photograph the quartz vein along the wall that had a 2cm wide vein of gold in it, remove a small sample and have it tested. This was being done for some University of Manitoba geology students for “academic” purposes. The lake cannot be commercially mined because it is in a provincial park. The “DIR” divers however took great pleasure in pointing out that our gear was crap. My gear was simple, twin 120’s with a custom blend of 15/50 mounted on a Dacor BP&W, an Apex ATX200 on long hose with a Mares Abyys on necklace, 36 percent in an AL80 with an older USD Conshelf and 100 percent in an AL80 with a new Mares Axis Pro. Lift bags, wreck reels, wrist slates with run times, bottom timers, bail out tables, cameras, simple tools for taking samples, and lights rounded out the gear. According to the “DIR” divers, I was a dead man walking. My gear would kill me because it did not say Halcyon or Apex on everything. They made a point of being loud and very noticed. Unfortunately for them, most everyone else at the dive site knows both my buddy and me. The impression that was left with most of us has been next to impossible to change, and DIR has had a very poor if not hostile reception ever since.

That was 2 years ago!

You divers who follow the DIR philosophy of diving have your work cut out for you if you are ever to repair the damage left behind by DIR divers like those I have meet.

Spectre:
Sorry Drew. I didn't think it would end up going so far as you being accused of being adult.
I don't mind if things get a little heated but that was pretty low! :wink:

There's no excuse for that. That said, it's generally met with a correction from those that actually know the difference.

Stephen Ash:
Yah...but...

Sometimes, some of those who claim to be DIR offer answers to DIR questions that are less accurate...in DIR terms... than answers given by those who don't claim to be DIR.

Wierd!

Stephen

Back
Top Bottom