DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhotoTJ:
ZZZZZZZING!!!!!!!!!!! :crafty:
That shot parted someone's hair! LMAO!

Hardly. I'm merely amused that he can't manage a substative response
Besides, my hair is too short to part.

opiniongirl:
Back to the original question...

The name does endanger the concept. Doing it Safer, Doing it together, Tech Divers Unite, whatever, anything would have been better.

The name impliess that the rest of us have lousy skills.

No, it doesn't. You INFERRED that, but the name didn't IMPLY that.
The difference is important.

The name implies there's a right way, and somebody has set out to determine it.

opiniongirl:
Thanks....I just couldn't concentrate any more...my therapist tells me I'm making a big improvement since I've joined this forum.

The sign of real progress will be when you bludgeon your therapist.
You seem OK to me.

Rick Murchison:
Lemmee see if I can clear the water a little here.
As we used to say in the Navy, "There's a right way, a wrong way, and the Navy way."
In diving there are lots of ways too. One way is the "DIR" way - the simple fact is that "DIR" has no claim on the "right" way, and it is the hijack of the word that's so irritating.

There is no hijack. The name states a goal. Clearly you don't share their goal, to find the right way. That's OK, so why do you need to get so worked up about other people's goals?

Once again, relativism implodes.

dweeb:
There is no hijack. The name states a goal. Clearly you don't share their goal, to find the right way. That's OK, so why do you need to get so worked up about other people's goals?

Once again, relativism implodes.

Who says we don't share the goal. We agree on the goal. We don't agree that there is only one way to reach that goal. That is why all the religion references. Many religions teach the way to get to heaven, but all of them teach that theirs is the only way, all other religions are wrong.

Saying Do It Right implies that it is the only way to do it. All others are wrong.

I don't get worked up about your goals. Just stop calling my search for the goal wrong.

Grumpybear:
This has to be the biggest bunch of bull i have ever read. I am not a DIR diver so i have no sides in this but every time the anti-DIR(as you all call it) post something agaist GUE nothing is ever said. Just read this thread its all DIR bashing and in other threads with the name calling (like a bunch of 5 year olds) koolaid drinkers, nazi, brainwashed and nothing is ever said and the posts are never pulled then the second a DIR diver comes to defend themself or call you stroke they are banned are get a warning and the post is pulled. Well what is the difference if i call you a stroke or a kool-aid drinker nothing. 99% of the arogant GUE divers on this board are nothing more then a cyber diver who is looking for some entertainment.
Post anything that isnt pro-dir in the dir forum and you descended upon, and yes posts are pulled. But the laughable thing is all the whining, i have a number of posts in DIR forum where the first repsonse is 'read the tos' bleat bleat bleat. You cant say anything nasty about us in our DIR forum. Some do defend their stance with a reasoned response, and a healthy debate is what its all about, no problem with that, but hiding behinfd the 'TOS' is just poor form. YET when there is a 'why arent you DIR' thread in a NON DIR fourm there is nothing wrong with DIR followers posting negative comments to the thread.

Next time you get a pro-dir diver on the attack check their profile, the vocal ones seem to have PADI up to AOW, then DIR-f where upon they have taken on god like status. Amoungst some of the most vocal i have noted that their profiles include, have less than 100 dives, less than two years diving experience, never been below 85 feet, and yet read to read their posts you would think they have a large collection of Doria china.

Albion:
Post anything that isnt pro-dir in the dir forum and you descended upon, and yes posts are pulled. But the laughable thing is all the whining, i have a number of posts in DIR forum where the first repsonse is 'read the tos' bleat bleat bleat. You cant say anything nasty about us in our DIR forum.
I guess you still haven't read the TOS of the DIR forum.

Its a place to get a DIR answer...not to debate DIR. That can (and is) be done in the other forums.

JeffG:
Its a place to get a DIR answer...not to debate DIR.

<snicker> wouldn't *that* just make you roll on the floor laughing.......a DIR forum with no debate..... LOL I think if you look it up in a dictionary, you'll find that DIR is mentioned in the *definition* of debate.... :)

R..

Diver0001:
<snicker> wouldn't *that* just make you roll on the floor laughing.......a DIR forum with no debate..... LOL I think if you look it up in a dictionary, you'll find that DIR is mentioned in the *definition* of debate.... :)
No problem with debate on DIR, but it doesn't belong in the DIR forum. That should be a place for folks to get DIR answers to questions, NOT a mish-mash of DIR and non-DIR techniques.

You don't want to read the DIR forum and get advice along the lines of stuffing your long hose inside your double wing bungies so it doesn't get tangled in your split fins or helmet mounted lights, for example.

*That's* why stuff gets moved out of the forum. Have the debates in the technical or this basic forum -- debate is good, but the DIR forum is there for a specific reason and that's to discuss DIR techniques, period.

Roak

Back
Top Bottom