DIR video of open water divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4sdi once bubbled...
I would like to see this video to see what all the fuss is about, but I can't get it to play. I get a message that says,
"Quicktime is missing software required to perform this operation. Unfortunately, it is not availiable on the QuickTime server"
Any Ideas?

Try going to www.quicktime.com and downloading the newest version of Quicktime.

If you're still having trouble, PM me and I'll try to convert the video to another format for you.

Fundamental skills that most people can't do. The video shows a master scuba diver trainer finning vigorously and hanging on the line. The instructor has no bouyancy control or he would be able to hang without movement. Even with a slight current he still should be able to hover with out kicking and holding the line. The people shooting the video are horizontal(best postion for offgassing) and not in need of a line to maintain depth. It's all about time and commitment to do the skills at a higher level than what a majority of the divers do now. It doesn't mean you forget about your skills. It's about you wanting to be the best you can be. A highly skilled diver. Recreational is where it starts. Some instructors out there teaching don't have the fundamental skills. But hey most of you just want to get on here and agrue acronyms. Most don't have the time or commitment to be highly skilled. I'll continue to strive to DO IT BETTER. See ya I'm going diving.

first let me say that if that DIR then most of us want no part of it , second if you read even some of the DIR stuff they wear not doing it right the proper procedure is to use the rope , as with 99.9 percent of dive boats I know of want you to use the rope that's not saying the other divers cant do the same thing the fact is they wear prombly following the divemaster instructions for that dive.
I might be wrong but all the dives I been on and thats allot reguire at least hear in NC to use the rope ,
Know for what really bothering me I feel DIR is great training but they arent the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!
you know what is the best is there isnt any , there are hundreds of ways to do the same thing , however there got to be some kind of guide line .
I feel DIR has some great ideas and training , but to act stupid onlys proofs they wear still young diver s
Yes I know this is going to open up a whole hum bit of BS but there again this is just wayI seen it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oh as far as Buoyancy controll goes yes it appears they weart hum done right , so that part I agree with

boomx5 once bubbled...
So instead of just critisizing these guys, has anybody shown them how to "Do It Right"?:confused:

That is very often the problem. Even if the DIR diver is patient and not the arrogant kind that just makes other divers angry, divers are stuck in their way, not all but a lot, and are just not willing to listen to advice. I am not on the beach to change other divers, i am there to have fun, i might suggest changes to my divebuddy if we are friends but other than that i do my DIR thing and try to get perfect at it, if other dont like it they are free to find an other buddy, i dont have to dive with them and they dont have to dive with me, i dont understand the big fuss, let people make their own decisions.

And as far as using the rope being THE procedure to follow, i dont agree, if the DM on the boat tells me to do that and there are 15 divers on the rope and it is a mess i'll NOT go hang on the rope, i dont care if the DM doesnt like it, if i can make any stop hovering horizontally without needing a line why wouldnt i :confused:
What is wrong with that, a DM can tell me all he/she wants but i will also do my own thinking and assessing the situation thank you very much.

I guess my point is if you try to tell someone a better way and they refuse to adopt your philosophy, get on with your life and let it go. You can't convert everyone, so why waste your time on them. If they want to come along and join you, let them, if not, Let It Go!

I spent about an hour on the phone yesterday and had the opportunity to talk with a couple of different GUE instructors. Not only was I impressed with their knowledge but they both seemed very nice and very humble. Neither one of them had the attitude that if you did not do it there way you were a rotten diver. I actually found it refreshing to know that the things I've read about an elitist attitude was not the case (at least with these guys). Now I really look forward to taking my DIR-F class in couple months.

And as far as using the rope being THE procedure to follow, i dont agree, if the DM on the boat tells me to do that and there are 15 divers on the rope and it is a mess i'll NOT go hang on the rope, i dont care if the DM doesnt like it, if i can make any stop hovering horizontally without needing a line why wouldnt i

My buddy and I got hammered in NC for this last weekend...we did a free ascent from a dive on the City of Houston and when we got aboard the DM took us aside and told us to please ascend on the line because the captain was pissed and said some stuff about it while we were still below. There was no current to speak of and we were the last divers in the water (first in, last out), so we could have held the line without the usual line clustering problems but we chose not to and instead work on our ascents and stops. The next dive we did we didn't come up the line either, but we hung so close to it that I don't think anybody would have noticed we weren't holding on from the surface.

We routinely get comments from people on boats both in NC and VA Beach (as well as at one of the local dive clubs) about being DIR. Somebody always has a snide remark about it, such as:

"Oh, well, I guess you wouldn't ever dive with me then since I am not DIR"

-or-

"ok, guys, let's get in the water and do it right *snicker*"

I definitely get more crap from people than I give them about the "whole DIR" thing..

I dont feel its a DIR promblem as much as if the dive master of the dive says to use the line then yes I must agree ,,, every boat dive in nc I have been on says the same so maybe thats why its stuck in my head to use the line
for those dont know nc can at times have some strong currents and after in past several divers got into trouble most of the boats just want you to use the line .

I dont feel its a DIR promblem as much as if the dive master of the dive says to use the line then yes I must agree ,,, every boat dive in nc I have been on says the same so maybe thats why its stuck in my head to use the line

If there was a current that day, I have no problem holding the line. I also have no problem using a "modified Jersey Upline" technique since most of the boats I dive off (well, ok, all of them) hook into the wreck and do not have a chase boat. Dunno about you, but I ain't drifting around the Atlantic and trusting some of these captains to come and find me...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom