DIR video of open water divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

You are free to continue on in your verticality....
Horisontally yours,

With respect Uncle Pug, you have completely missed the point I was making, but I have no wish to labour the point. I thought it important to describe my feelings as a newish dry suit diver, as an old dog learning new tricks.

I think the whole of this thread is one exmple of a feature so common in diving circles, experienced divers do most things as automatic routine, as they should to reduce task loading and forget just how difficult it genuinely was to learn the skill of good bouyancy control.

Once a skill such as walking or riding a bicycle has been learned it is coordinated by the cerebellum, which is the part of the brain specifically tasked with such "routine" functions. This leaves the cerebrum, the thinking conscious part of the brain, to handle intellectual fuctions (such as running the deco profile) and to teach the cerebellum new skills.

Walking is so easy but just think how difficult is is to learn to walk again after a long period of immobility. At the age of seven I sufferd severe fractures to my right leg and was in a cast for nearly two months. I can tell you it was extremely difficult to learn to walk again. My cerebellum had to be reprogrammed because it had forgotten how, and wasted muscles had to be strengthened.

Do I detect a certain amount of censure and perhaps sarcasm in your replies, Uncle Pug? I hope not as I am sure such is beneath you.

For info, yesterday I did a couple of dives in the North sea and on both occassions I ascented in the horizontal attitude, and must say it has much to commend it. I was certainly much more comfortable and relaxed in the horizontal attitude because, surprise surprise, that is the "neutral position";- how I have now trimmed my weight and bouyancy for comfort at depth (as I described above and Rick has touched upon. Getting the centre of gravity and centre of lift as close to each other by the use of ankle weights, in my case). In the past, when learning to control my ascents, I would not have felt safe or comfortable to even attempt this, because of the well known risk of an inverted bouyant ascent and the considerable amount of potential excess boyancy in my suit (36 Kgs from 30 meters!) which could have been trapped in the legs and those rapid pressure changes close to the surcace.

You could not have performed a safe horizontal ascent on your very first dry suit dive and I estimate it has taken me at least 30 dives (or maybe even more) to master, simply because of all that variable bouyancy I have to carry in order to compensate for my heavy 300 bar twin 10s and the 6 Kg of gas which is gradually disposed of during the dive, plus all that air in my undersuit.

Sheck33 said
i actually persuaded my GF to get rid of her ankle weights and her bouyancy control and trim have improved significantly.
I doubt she was using heavy twin 300 bars 10s. There is a world of difference!

Uncle Pug, You are right to be be proud to be able to ascend at a "millenial crawl" in the horizontal attitude as I am, but it is a skill that has to be learned and there is only one way to learn it, the hard way and the diver has to configure his kit appropriately first as Nick correctly states!

It helps no-one to make fun of divers who are obviously learning these new skills (as it was wrong to post the video, in my humble opinion), and also in my opinion quite wrong to state, as you and others appear to be doing, "It's dead easy, I can do it. Look how easy it is". It takes hours and hours for surgeons to train to perform laparoscopic surgery but when they are fully skilled they find it is straightforward and make it look easy.

I can tell you it is most certainly not as easy as they make it look!

Have you had to teach you child to tie his shoe laces.

Now that's an education in itself.

Safe bubblin!

:)

I am so sorry my posts sounded churlish... I was in such a rush to get off a few posts (so much diving to do) that I neglected to incorporate any smilies... even though I was winkin' and grinnin' as I typed.

I was merely poking fun at your, "you do it your way and I'll do it mine."

One thing to note (if the childishness of the DIRF students in the video can be overlooked for a moment) is that the horizontal divers are fairly new and inexperienced while the vertical divers are just the opposite. It is possible for a newbie to dive and control a drysuit in the horizontal position with the correct training.

BTW, as has been pointed out already, horizontal is not the exclusive domain of DIR and there are non-DIR elements to the horizontal divers in the video... cracks me up that they bill this as DIR vs "the other guys".... just isn't the case.

Anyway... I love an appreciate you a bunch and I'm glad for your participation on the board... even if you are old and cranky by your own admission.

And I would be willing to give laparoscopy a go if you can find me a willing subject and loan me the tools... (is patient survival a requirment or do you get a few chances to get it right?) and can I do this suspended horizontally over the patient or do I have to stand there vertical?

:D :) :) :) :D

Uncle Pug, I am not renowned for my sense of humour. I think medical school knocks it out of you! (patients certainly do!)

The net and emails are great means of communication but have one major failing. There is no non-verbal communication and I could not see your wicked grin as you typed.

Perhaps I do take myself too seriously but as you say "adequate training" is a must. There are good, bad and indifferent instructors just as there are good, bad and indifferent doctors.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom