DIR Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CALI68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Are the Apeks ATX200 and The "Black Pearl" DIR approved Regs?

Thanks!

CALI68:
Are the Apeks ATX200 and The "Black Pearl" DIR approved Regs?

Thanks!

The Black Pearl is the exact same regulator as the ATX-200, just with a fancy face plate.

You just need a simple, reliable, take-apart-under-water-able reg to be approved by the DIRians.

Yes, as well as any of a number of other regulators.

1 - Do the hoses route cleanly?
2 - Can the 2nd stage cover and diaphragm be removed without tools?
3 - Is it a "downstream" design?

If the above three conditions are met, and it performs acceptably at 100ft on EAN32, then it is "DIR-approved".
It does not need to perform well deeper than 100ft on EAN32 or air because EAN32 or air would not be DIR at those depths. A reg that performs well at 200ft on air MAY have a problem with freeflows on helium mixes.

The ATX 200 is a great reg with good hose routing, but I see absolutely no need to get the black pearl, unless you are crazy about the design...

If you want to save some money you can buy the Apeks DS4/TX or ATX50 instead. I have both ATX200 and DS4/TX50 setups and enjoy them equally much. You could however probably almost get two DS4 for the price of one ATX 200. In that way you can dive an H-valve with singles and already have a reg setup for doubles later on (if you do not have it already).

Anders

RichLockyer:
A reg that performs well at 200ft on air MAY have a problem with freeflows on helium mixes.

so does anyone here know how well the APEKS ATX200 performs at 200ft on helium mixes?

I am looking at the ATX 200 myself, but no need to get it if it's going to have freeflow problems with helium mixes.

BradfordNC:
so does anyone here know how well the APEKS ATX200 performs at 200ft on helium mixes?

I am looking at the ATX 200 myself, but no need to get it if it's going to have freeflow problems with helium mixes.

It works fine. As with all the other Apeks regs, you may want to detune the intermediate pressure down to about 110-120 psi. Puts less stress on the seat as well.

BradfordNC:

It is functionally identical to every other Apeks. The only things that have changed are appearance, the slightly smaller diaphragm and exhaust tee, and replaceable crown.

globaldiver:
The ATX 200 is a great reg with good hose routing, but I see absolutely no need to get the black pearl, unless you are crazy about the design...
Maybe DIR needs a "stroke factor" for extra little "bling bling" things on an otherwise perfectly acceptable piece of gear :D

Thanks for the help!

:06: Good morning to everybody.

I've a question about DIR regs. I've heard from a friend of an italian DIR instructor that APEKS ATX100 is preferable to ATX200. Absolutely no chance to check if true or not. Can anybody confirm it and, if the truth, explain me why?
Thanks to all in advance.

Scubaman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom