DIR, RDP & computer.. ???'s from a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DepartureDiver:
Hi Mike ... yes, good memory … and I think your memory of the altitude depth, etc. is correct. No, not my intention to make inflammatory remarks and none were meant that way. I too have taken myself off some lists for that reason. So that it is not misunderstood, I never meant to state that GUE did not have altitude procedures, but that we were told that by one individual, and that it could not be confirmed one way or the other since it was not in writing (one way or the other) ... at least that's my understanding ... and perhaps I too have fallen prey to a rumor that altitude is ignored by GUE. But this rumor mill is part of my point. Your point is well taken that instructors must make a living, but this is where the uncertainty of what GUE is advocating comes from ... it is hard to get concrete information if it is only disseminated to those that take a class. I must admit I do not understand GUE's altitude procedures and when they are and are not necessary simply because I have not been pointed to them. We have also tried to get some more info on GUE's deco philosophies and were told in essence by an instructor that a class must be taken. Again, quality instructors must be able to make a living to continue their work and education, but at times it does make it difficult to understand or analyze a procedure if it is hard to obtain. As I stated, what was told to me regarding altitude had some logic to it even though I personally disagreed with it. I just personally would like to be able to reference material. Also, I am assuming that your statement that no altitude corrections for the referenced dive were needed is because is was within no-stop limits. I can agree that based upon the manner in which the dive was performed including GUE’s slow ascent and stops, it was a nicely performed dive. But in conclusion, I consider myself fairly well informed and educated, but I don’t have the information needed to analyze, critique or perform procedures when they are hard to find, including whether a 20/30 mix at 6200’ elevation to 100’ (for 20 minutes if my memory is correct) falls within a no-stop dive or needs no conversions. I may well become an advocate of these procedures when I am introduced to them, just as I am an advocate of the GUE-F class. I was simply agreeing with some other postings that I wish GUE’s procedures were a little more readily obtainable. I hope this is taken in the spirit it was intended.

Brian,

If you were in fact who I thought you were I had no doubt that your intention was not to start a flame war. I enjoyed very much our discussion(s) and look forward to working with you guys in the future. You are correct in what I was offering in terms of the no-stop limits. THis particular dive was the final dive of the class, and the way we break out our training is to do a series of fundamental skill dives and critical skill dives in the 20' or 30' range, then after we are comfortable with their training we do an experience phase dive just to go and have some fun and do a dive with them on mix. We don't not do any skills on this dive, and it was kept within recreational no extended decompression stop ranges. Of course we incorporated deep stops, 30' fpm ascent rates and stops at 30', 20' & 10'. The fact that 8 of us did the dive and all had no problems driving back over Lake Tahoe sorta speaks to the point ;-)..

In any event, if I can help with any outstanding questions please don't hesitate to contact me and I'd be happy to help..

Regards

Hi Mike ... and us with you. A chat board can make it hard to understand one's intentions since voice, body language can not be seen heard ... and nothing good ever comes from flamming. Good bumping into you again.

MHK:
I think part of the frustration that some of us at GUE share is as follows:
[...]
Now that being said, I have no problems at all with divers that want to ask questions and understand, but where I get frustrated sometimes is with people who have absolutely no desire to understand the issue, and can't accept that explorer's that are doing ground-breaking and world record type dives aren't following a peer-reviewed study they are blazing new trails.

Mike, with all due respect, I think people may not be expressing what they're looking for when they (somewhat imprecisely) wave the banner "peer reviewed".

Peer review _doesn't_ necessarily mean that the work isn't ground-breaking/world-record/etc., or even that others have duplicated it. All it means is that people other than the author, who have expertise in the field, have reviewed _the experimental method_ so that third parties can trust that it's science, not fluke or luck or biased sample.

E.g., it would be _no business at all_ of a peer reviewer whether he thought that 1.6 for 6 hours was safe or unsafe or anywhere in between. The reviewer's only business is to assess whether your documented experiments were the right experiments to show what you were claiming.

Not to put words in voop's mouth, but from what he's written, I'm guessing that what makes him scratch his head is that none of this seems to be written down anywhere, let alone written down and published in a way that we can all see that there's a valid experimental base to back it up.

--Laird

I think this is an important topic, so I’ll add a little more. A scientist’s job is to critique/trash another person’s work or methodology. This allows research to “tighten” and get better. One reason deep stops, VPM and ultimately RGBM came around is from Erik Maiken’s discussions and actual publication of VPM code freely. It is the open discussion of not just what works, but the trial and error that determined it works along with the failures along the way. Not only does this allow for more advancement, but it also puts out information so a diver can decide how they want to dive. I agree that one’s brain is the best computer out there. But the brain must have the data and understanding so that it can make good decisions. An example of this is what I encountered early in diving. We do a lot of diving at altitude and I have been diving and teaching at altitude for more than 20 years. Unfortunately back then, not much information was available on altitude. The only reference most divers could find was NAUI’s book by C.L. Smith. Because his ideas were in print, it allowed me to analyze them. What I discovered was that he was misapplying some ideas. Because of this, I started publishing some more “modern” ideas and is actually what got me into diving theory. My point is that the access to one’s approach and not just the results allows our sport to grow. While I’m sure decompression ideas and thoughts would have advanced with out Erik and Eric’s desire to educate and disseminate information, I believe they were instrumental in bringing us to where we are today … through open sharing of information.

Some things to think about...

I think I understand what's being asked for but GUE didn't develop a new model. The only thing that different is how they plan using a given model.

As far as I can tell, the reason it seems so vague is that there really isn't all that much to it.

I you accept that decompression isn't an exact science (no nees to suoer accurate with profile measurements because the math doesn't accurately tell us what's happening in our body) and that using average depth works (don't believe me check it with the decompression software of your choice) then you pretty much have the on the fly stuff. Pick a depth and look at the "NDL" given on 4 or 5 different tables. Notice the range of NDL's. Which is the real one?

Throw in some bubble model stuff to shape the ascent curve (deeper stops and slow ascents) and you pretty much have it licked.

For staged decompression dives notice the shape of the curve as in the ratio between stop lengths. Notice the effect as depth or time changes.

Again note that as you change user settable parms in a decompression software just how much effect it has on the output schedule. It can be huge. Which is the right schedule? Answer...they one you're comfortable with and works. The point is that measureing things to the second the foot doesn't matter much because two people can run their software and dive their respective schedule exactly to the second yet one may do 50% more decompression that the other. Which one is right?

Add to this that you use the same gasses for the same depth ranges all the time and you tend to remember the schedules

Play with it yourself. Look at a dive profile. estimate an average depth and calculate your decompression, NDL or whatever. Simulate that dive in your dive computer and see what it says. Now run the with dive with software both as a strict multilever with different user settings and using your estimated average depth. Compare them.

No ask yourself how many data point you need on your profile to get acceptable results. A dive computer may get a data point once per second or once every three seconds but can you get the schedule you're looking for with a data point every 5 minutes if you control and/or are aware of the profile?

The reason you can't find a magic equation is because ther isn't one. In my experience different people (even GUE trained people) apply this in slightly different ways. Some write down more in their wet notes than others and some don't write anything down. Some have done a similar dive enough times with the same gas that they don't need to run their deco software before a dive and some haven't.

It sounds like guessing don't it? The only difference here is that you're doing the guessing based on what you know. Some people feel better if some one else does the guessing and all they have to do is read the result on a display though.

Of course when you go diving ignore all of what I said and follow your table or comuter exactly because this is just for discussion and I don't know anything. Oh, and I don't have anything to do with GUE so I really don't know what they do.

DepartureDiver:
I think this is an important topic, so I’ll add a little more. A scientist’s job is to critique/trash another person’s work or methodology. This allows research to “tighten” and get better. One reason deep stops, VPM and ultimately RGBM came around is from Erik Maiken’s discussions and actual publication of VPM code freely. It is the open discussion of not just what works, but the trial and error that determined it works along with the failures along the way. Not only does this allow for more advancement, but it also puts out information so a diver can decide how they want to dive. I agree that one’s brain is the best computer out there. But the brain must have the data and understanding so that it can make good decisions. An example of this is what I encountered early in diving. We do a lot of diving at altitude and I have been diving and teaching at altitude for more than 20 years. Unfortunately back then, not much information was available on altitude. The only reference most divers could find was NAUI’s book by C.L. Smith. Because his ideas were in print, it allowed me to analyze them. What I discovered was that he was misapplying some ideas. Because of this, I started publishing some more “modern” ideas and is actually what got me into diving theory. My point is that the access to one’s approach and not just the results allows our sport to grow. While I’m sure decompression ideas and thoughts would have advanced with out Erik and Eric’s desire to educate and disseminate information, I believe they were instrumental in bringing us to where we are today … through open sharing of information.

Brian,

I think you and Laird both make excellent points about the willingness to openly discuss these issues, now if we could just keep the children out of the discussions we could get somewhere ;-).. That isn't to say that in this particular thread any of the usual stuff is going on, in fact this thread has been quite productive.

I also want to identify myself with Mike Ferrara comments because what he says is a fair representation of how some of our approaches have developed. Alot of what has transpired is through trial and error at Wakulla. As the progress, success and results started to grow beyond the scope of what was accepted in the industry then of course the recognized experts such as Wells, Weinke, Baker et. al. started to get involved from the scientific end of it. I suspect in good measure some of the disconnect revolves around your desire to approach this from a sceinetific/academic point of view, and from the divers at Wakulla's perspective they approach this from the point of view of exploration, not necessarily the academic end. I've had this discussion with JJ in the past when he and Bruce Weinke weren't exactly on the same page respecting an issue. JJ explained it to me in a way that made a bunch of sense to me, which esentially said that Bruce coming from the academic world had one approach whereas JJ coming from the exploration point of view had a different objective. The fortunate part is that they work well together so JJ gets to do his exploration and Bruce gets to study thier real-life dives. It seems like a win-win to me..

If something still isn't clear in terms of how we approach decompression theory and/or our ascent rate strategies or so foarth, please let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Thanks

Hi Mike. I don't get involved in too many chats since a lot of divers have their own ideas, whether based on solid principals or bad outdated info, and no matter what is said they won't be open to a new approach or learning or advancing ideas ... so why waste my energy. I agree with you, this post has become very productive. While not everyone will get on the same page and agree with what others do (myself included), hopefully more will become open-minded. I for one never would have been involved in any diving where the ppO was at 1.6 beyond the NOAA limits “back in the days”, but those that did and showed it could be done make an incredible contribution towards diving. However, I have done things other have told me wouldn't work, even after I showed them the science (background in biophysics here) and after showing it could be done, people started opening their eyes some. Yes, my approach is from the scientific side and any critiquing is just that (not to flame … which pops up too much on “the List” where I thought there would be more adults there). Hell, I’ve been critiqued myself, but any exchange of info was invaluable. So on that topic, I do have a question from a previous post below.

MHK:
Also, I think you inadvertantly mis-quoted our position on altitude as well. This all stemmed from a trip report written by one of our students after the Tahoe class, it has been distorted and taken out of context and no matter how many times I address the issue some continue with the misinformation. In the instant case, Kevin wrote a trip report and spoke glowingly about a 3 day class, one dive of which took place in Lake Tahoe at approx. 6,000'. The dive was a recreational dive using a 30/30 for 20 minutes and a max depth of ~100' [ these numbers are off the top of my head since I'm speaking from memory] but the point was that this one dive did not require any altitude adjustment, but those that want to criticize GUE have ignored anything else we say about the issue and cling to a misguided belief that we said "ignore altitude in every case"..If we don't believe in altitude adjustments why did JJ include altitude in DecoPlan?? There are times when altitude adjustments are required and other times when they are not.
I hope that more fully explains our position but I remain available for follow-up's..

I just clarified the Tahoe dive that inadvertently started this discussion. You are correct it was a 30/30 dive (not 20/30 as I accidentally misstated) for 20 minutes, but the dive was to a depth of 120 feet (and not 100 as we thought) followed by a 100’ dive for 15 minutes and then followed by a very mild 1000’ altitude ascent. For altitude I’m aware of the well-known Cross/ration corrections, as well as the linear extrapolation Buhlmann used as well as Weinke’s extrapolation towards zero. I seem to be having a hard time figuring out a 120’ altitude dive (equivalent to 151’ here using the ratio conversion which I openly admit errors on the conservative side) for 20 min. Any help (including new thoughts or directions to articles) would be appreciated.

Thanks

tonyc:
The problem this saturday is that half of my dive time was spent on the ascent from max depth. Now, Shouldn't I be taking on nitrogen at that time??

I wish I could figure out how to post my dive profile, but I'll try to explain it. Lets take the dive on the Sue Jack, second dive of the day....

1.) for the first seven minutes we decended to a depth around 87 feet.
80 ft/7min= 11.4 ft/min.
2.) We hung out on the wreck for nine minutes (16 min total time) and
depth was between 87 and 68 foot.
3.) Then we headed back at a slow ascent which has a nice straight line
when graphed and follows a slope of about 4 foot per minute.

So my questions are....

1.) At that slow of an ascent aren't I still taking on more nitrogen on the way back? at 60 foot, 50 foot etc?

2.) Is it safe to use my bottom time as 16 minutes for this dive- SSI says
bottom time is time till you start your direct ascent at 30ft/min- not 4
foot per minute.

You're asking a question that requires a lot of deco theory to explain.

1. Simple answer: Yes.

Complex answer: yes, you're still taking on ("on-gassing") Nitrogen at 60fsw, 50fsw etc, but because you're on your ascent, you're also off-gassing, so the question is rather where are you on-gassing and where are you off-gassing, and what's important?

The DIR-malligned Buhlmann model recognized a long time ago this complexity that the body does not treat all Nitrogen equally. Say what you want about it being an old, klungy model, but it now has tens of millions of datapoints of dives done safely with it.

Its model divides the human body into theoretical "Compartments". Each Compartment is different in that it has its own rate of on/off-gassing (compartment half-time), and a different surface maximum saturation value (M-value). What happens on a dive is that your local pressure and time spent there determines how much Nitrogen goes into each Compartment, based on each individual Compartments' half-times and the pressure differentials.

At your maximum depth, all compartments are on-gassing.

Remember that when any compartments exceeds its M-value, you now have too much Nitrogen in that compartment to safely make a direct ascent to the surface, so you are now in a Decompression profile.

Also note that when you're in Deco, you can have more than one compartment exceed 100% of its M-value. To avoid (or to get out of) a Deco dive, all of the compartments must be below their M-value limits.

There is something that is referred to as the "Controlling Compartment". Generally, it is whichever Compartment that is having the greatest effect on your dive - for example, the one that first crossed into Deco, and/or the last one to cross out.

(Whew!)

Okay, so you're now ascending. With the reduction in local pressure, some Compartments start to off-gas, but others are still on-gassing.

The reason that they do this is because the compartments have different half-times.

"Fast" compartments have low half-times (like 5 minutes), so your time you spent at 80+fsw did a good job of filling them up to pretty close to an 80fsw pressure saturation equivalent. As such, when you go shallower, the Compartment's effective pressure (think of it as an "Internal Pressure") results in a reverse of flow: off-gassing.

But the "slow" compartments never had enough bottom time to fill up, so they're perhaps at only ~35fsw pressure saturation equivalent. As such, your ascent to 50fsw wasn't enough to reverse the flow yet, so they're still on-gassing. It will be slower than before, but its still on-gassing.

Suffice to say that even though the model looks very simple, the ways in which it reacts are actually very sophisticated.

Now we can finally get to your question about ascent rates.

Let's say for sake of illustration that your time at 87fsw was enough to load your fastest Compartment (let's call it #1) to an 85fsw pressure equivalent and also right up to 99.9% of its M-value, so we would say that its the Controlling Compartment, because if you stayed an instant longer, you would go into Deco, because 85 < 87 and the Compartment would thus continue to on-gas.

But let's say you didn't -- you ascended. Since yo'ure now shallower than 85fsw, that compartment exceeds the current depth and starts to off-gas.

Home free, right? Not so fast.

Even though there's only one Controlling Compartment, the others are still along for the ride. The second-fastest Compartment wasn't the Controlling Compartment, but its been busy on-gassing all this time too. Let's say that it was loaded to 49fsw and that its 100% M-value limit is 55fsw equivalent.

Now your rate of ascent becomes important, because what's really happening is that Compartment #2 is now the Controlling Compartment: you need to get shallower than 55fsw before the #2 compartment reaches 55fsw or else you'll shift into Deco, even though it is no longer due to the loading in Compartment #1.

This is a longwinded way of saying that even though you've gone shallower, you're still taking on Nitrogen and you may still hit a Deco limit...and what makes it hard to understand is that you've had multiple Compartments in a horse race, and your depth change can cause a jump between horses.

Okay, finally time to answer your 2nd question:

2. "It depends", but I'd say No.

Extra time spent due to a slower-than-perscribed ascent must be addressed exactly how the decompression model that you're using says to use it, so you cannot cross between a Suunto and SSI or whatever.

For example, the old, old USN table said that for an ascent rate slower than 60ft/min, the extra time that was spent deeper than 50fsw would be calcuated and added to the bottom time, and that extra time spent shallower would be lost (not added to the bottom time, nor credited towards any deco stops, nor added to the surface interval).

Personally these days, I consider all time spent deeper than ~30fsw to be the "Bottom Time", unless I am that deep (or deeper) on a Required Deco Stop.

I want to know how to figure out nitrogen loading on the multilevel dives without just looking at the time left on my vyper. At my job I give lots of drugs that run continously based on weight and although the pumps can be programmed and make it a "brainless" operation, I still like to do the calculations myself. I want that same understanding when it comes to diving.

With the near-continuous granularity of dive computers' depth sensors and clocks, I personally believe that this is futile to attempt. My opinion is to do what the machine says, but to be knowledgeable enough yourself to know when you are getting an obviously erronious information...eg, if you punch 210 x 45 into a handheld calculator, the expected value is a bit over 8000, so 3.141516 is wrong.

Similarly, insfoar as recovery modes for figuring out when you can dive after a dive computer failure, one low risk approach is to assume that at the time that you have ended the aborted dive that you have the worst case N2 onloading in the next Deco models. This can be done with Tables a lot easier than with a "fresh" dive computer. Others are free to disagree with this approach, but what most people fail to realize is that ALL of these are only models (non-deterministic tools), they ALL have risk, and that diving is always about risk management.

-hh

-hh:
... Others are free to disagree with this approach, but what most people fail to realize is that ALL of these are only models (non-deterministic tools), they ALL have risk, and that diving is always about risk management.
-hh

A good solid deco discussion. Your last point is one many forget or don't know. Risk management is everything. Statistically speaking, people will bend on a square profile to 60' for 40 minutes. But people don't think about this. A safety stop is the best thing that can be done. One actually off-gasses faster at a safety stop than compared to the same time spent at the surface. This is because more gas will be in solution as compared to bubbling (which slows down the elimination process since the driving force can be lost). So while many won't know their true diving limits, the safety stop can help with this issue. When I perform my deco dives, I model my no-stop times around a limit of 30 min. for 60 feet (this is where I get laughed at and heavily critiqued). But I would rather be safe than sorry. I've never heard of a diver getting hurt for doing too much deco. This is how I have chosen to do my risk management and I hope people take your comment seriously. For a simplistic view, on safety stops, time limits, management etc., I have an article posted at www.diverssupport.com/ascending.htm. I considered posting it on the article section here, but it was not accepting any more posts … so sorry about it being in a link. It is overly simplistic, but it was designed for those just beginning their journey and maybe transitioning into the tech world.

DepartureDiver:
A good solid deco discussion. Your last point is one many forget or don't know. Risk management is everything.
When I perform my deco dives, I model my no-stop times around a limit of 30 min. for 60 feet (this is where I get laughed at and heavily critiqued). But I would rather be safe than sorry. I've never heard of a diver getting hurt for doing too much deco. This is how I have chosen to do my risk management and I hope people take your comment seriously.

Brian,

I would only add one thought to your point above. I agree totally that risk management is the key, and I also agree that these models are theoretical mathematical calculations that are called THEORY and NOT science for a reason, but that being said I would offer that while doing too much deco isn't in and of itself harmful, I would also encourage divers to understand the scope of ascent rate strategies, cleaning up certain tissue comparments vis-a-vis deep stops, etc. etc. which all provide for the ability to get out of the water, should the need arise, quicker and safer [ or less saturated may be a better way to say it], but in open ocean diving and within deco diving a diver may find that for whatever reason they don't have the luxury of staying for extended decompression..

That is why I encourage divers to learn about this stuff, particularly at advanced diving levels, rather then relying on a computer..

Regards

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom