DIR Mentoring Group formation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll post updates as this gets developed! I'll certainly need volunteer mentors!

I thought BAUE was doing that sort of thing, or at least they used to do it way back when??!! Or is it that now you need to have the cert before you can be mentored?

Ohh wait it was 5thd-x I was thinking of, I mean breakthrough diving. Are they considered DIR?

OOhhhh Man I am totally confused:confused:

Maybe I could use some mentoring Doc.

Hi,

just to bump up the topic - I think the mentoring group is a good idea.

BAUE requires (as far as I know from their website) that you are at least GUE Fundamentals certified. I heard they were a bit picky about that.

Is there any other group of DIR people around in the SF Bay Area?

I did a lot of cold water DIR diving in Germany (no Fundi certificate), just moved here and all I have for now is a single 80cuft tank and a strong desire to go diving.

Anybody? :eyebrow:

Best,
/Matthias

--
WebHome < Main < mattzz

BAUE is certainly not the end all be all of "DIR" divers in the Bay Area. Nor is membership in BAUE a requirement to dive with a good deal of the BAUE members. Without membership, you do loose access to some of the BAUE organized events, which is not a big loss IMO.

If you're looking to get into the local "DIR" community I'd recommend checking out The Dive Matrix. A good deal of us can be found chatting on any given evening around 10pm. I'm sure you could set up some diving from there.

Jonathan

It's a very good idea.
As sort of encouragement: we are doing something similar here in Northern Italy and is working quite fine.

Welcome Matthias!

We look forward to diving with you! I've got your e-mail and I'll let you know when I dive off Tom's boat and we can do some recreational dives there. At Pt Lobos, I'm usually diving my scooter.

Hi,

BAUE requires (as far as I know from their website) that you are at least GUE Fundamentals certified. I heard they were a bit picky about that.

I did a lot of cold water DIR diving in Germany (no Fundi certificate), just moved here and all I have for now is a single 80cuft tank and a strong desire to go diving.

Best,
/Matthias

--
WebHome < Main < mattzz

Hi,

Best,
/Matthias

--
WebHome < Main < mattzz

Hey Matt,

Quite a few of the Mocal DIR divers watch this forum so feel free to post a question - no BAUE membership required.

I realize this thread is two years old. Thought I would see if any progress has been made on the project. I would love some local DIR mentors. I have the gear and experience but I haven't tasted the Kool-Aid.

I realize this thread is two years old. Thought I would see if any progress has been made on the project. I would love some local DIR mentors. I have the gear and experience but I haven't tasted the Kool-Aid.

There are plenty of DIR divers in Monterey, and more it seems each month. We'll be at the breakwater tomorrow (Sun 13th) for some practice. A lot of people are more than willing to dive with people interested.

I'm not sure why so many people are bad mouthing BAUE on this thread, BAUE is a great organization, filled with passionate and helpful individuals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom