DIR Fundamentals & Dress for Success. Still up to date?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with you that it is a lot easier to do an OOA with the light cord under. Much less to worry about when the *hit hits the fan. You do have to practice and be very aware to make sure that you don't clip off that light without rerouting the cord.

Kevrumbo:
kidspot:
So what is the current consensus on this and why? Last I heard West coast DIR was light cord under and East coast DIR was light cord over ... anyone for light cord around?
kidspot:
Just finished a Wreck Class last month on the Sea Tiger off of Waikiki. . . during open water line laying practice at Kewalo Pipe while performing a OOG air-sharing drill, I found it easier to donate the long hose with the primary light cord initially routing underneath. Made going to your bungied Back-up Reg, securing the Penetration Line & Reel, and deploying the remaining long hose length with your right hand much simpler. OTOH, with the light cord over the long hose, you'd have to secure your Reel, then pass your light head & cord around to clear the long hose, clip off the light head to your right D-ring, and then deploy the remaining long hose length . . .slightly more time & potential for fumbling the Reel (which I did!) during my experience.

In this particular case, I think that the "other" may be distinct disadvantage here.

NWGratefulDiver:
CEO's can afford to have others do their talking for them ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dress for Success may differ in one or two details vs what JJ calls DIR.

Big deal. JJ himself just posted to Quest that the details are insignificant.

Don't get hung up on them. The book is great and is a great resource.

If you route the light cord under, then when you donate the long hose the cord will be on top of the long hose. If you route it over, the long hose when donated will "slide around" it and the cord will be under and not be a PITA.

<edit>removed facetious remarks because some people might think I was being serious:D </edit>

i've been surprised that gavinscooters@ haven't gone off on the AG-style backplate Ar mount in DFS.

lamont:
i've been surprised that gavinscooters@ haven't gone off on the AG-style backplate Ar mount in DFS.
Just wait till AG finishes his crossover and does the NAUI DIR tech courses ...good old George will typing up a storm :wink:

Kevrumbo:
kidspot:
So what is the current consensus on this and why? Last I heard West coast DIR was light cord under and East coast DIR was light cord over ... anyone for light cord around?
kidspot:
Just finished a Wreck Class last month on the Sea Tiger off of Waikiki. . . during open water line laying practice at Kewalo Pipe while performing a OOG air-sharing drill, I found it easier to donate the long hose with the primary light cord initially routing underneath. Made going to your bungied Back-up Reg, securing the Penetration Line & Reel, and deploying the remaining long hose length with your right hand much simpler. OTOH, with the light cord over the long hose, you'd have to secure your Reel, then pass your light head & cord around to clear the long hose, clip off the light head to your right D-ring, and then deploy the remaining long hose length . . .slightly more time & potential for fumbling the Reel (which I did!) during my experience.

Who taught the class? I'm living on Oahu looking for some good DIR tech instruction.

Azza:
What and he hasnt been already???:D
LOL True...Ok, there will just be no end to it :wink:

Onfloat,

Joakim "Jo" Hjelm from Island Divers http://www.oahuscubadiving.com He can teach a much more comprehensive & challenging Wreck Penetration Course far above and beyond the PADI Specialty Requirements. He's currently in Akumal, Yucatan Mexico, taking a GUE Cave 1 Class along with Matt Zimmerman (Proprietor). Top notch, fun Dive Operation! Only minor criticism is that they need to get their own private diveboat instead of chartering the Cattle Boats out of Kewalo Basin, and they also should move the Diveshop off of Hickam AFB to a more public accessible location. . .

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom