DIR-F or UTD Essentials?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kanonfodr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings all,

I have been doing a fair amount of reading (lurking) on the DIR approach to diving and I really want to get the skills that will make myself a better diver. I am just confused between the two classes, UTD Essentials and GUE's DIR-F. What, if any, is the difference? I can see the course standards for both are similar, I am looking at what the final product (myself) should be at upon completion of either course.

Thanks in advance.

Peace,
Greg

With <24 dives I wouldn't really worry about the slight differences and which one might transition into tech or cave diving better. Pick whichever one is easier and more logistically accessible to you in HI.

The major differences are: You can take Essentials in a traditional BC (the gear requirements are only long hose setup and non-split fins). DIR-F requires compliant gear, although small deviations will be tolerated by individual instructors if you talk to them ahead of time. Essentials is a workshop with no pass or fail applied at the end; Fundies is a pass/fail class with two levels of passing, recreational and technical. When my husband took Essentials, the class did not include shooting a bag as one of the skills, and from my reading of the description now, it appears that is still true. That skill is included in Fundies.

BOTH classes will teach non-silting propulsion techniques, work on your buoyancy and trim and control while task-loaded, and introduce the concept of team skills, positioning and effective communication. Both will teach minimum deco and gas management.

They are both excellent classes, but different in purpose and tone. I think Essentials tends to be a little lower-key, not being a pass/fail proposition.

There are several other differences (the better "equivalent" UTD class for Fundies [at the "rec" level] is Rec 2, NOT Essentials):

Max student to instructor ratio: 4:1 Essentials, 3:1 Fundies
Essentials no nitrox cert, Fundies nitrox cert included (32%)
Essentials is 2-3 days, Fundies is 4-5 days
Essentials won't let you take future GUE "tech" or cave classes, a Fundies pass (tech level) will [reverse isn't true]

Both classes appear to offer excellent instruction (at roughly the same cost). For someone new to DIR, either class would be great. For someone who has already been exposed to some of the relevant concepts and skills (e.g. diving with DIR mentors), I'd strongly suggest considering UTD Rec 2 or Fundamentals. At <30 dives, the OP would probably be happy with either Essentials or Fundies. If the OP hasn't yet taken a nitrox course, clearly Fundamentals is the better value.

The major differences are: You can take Essentials in a traditional BC (the gear requirements are only long hose setup and non-split fins). DIR-F requires compliant gear, although small deviations will be tolerated by individual instructors if you talk to them ahead of time. Essentials is a workshop with no pass or fail applied at the end; Fundies is a pass/fail class with two levels of passing, recreational and technical. When my husband took Essentials, the class did not include shooting a bag as one of the skills, and from my reading of the description now, it appears that is still true. That skill is included in Fundies.

BOTH classes will teach non-silting propulsion techniques, work on your buoyancy and trim and control while task-loaded, and introduce the concept of team skills, positioning and effective communication. Both will teach minimum deco and gas management.

They are both excellent classes, but different in purpose and tone. I think Essentials tends to be a little lower-key, not being a pass/fail proposition.

Last edited:
Appreciate the info thus far. I had definitely seen that the GUE classes had more stringent gear requirements than UTD, but gear is no big deal. The catch is that I can't see any Essentials classes available during the mid-Nov thru Dec timeframe that I am looking to take the class in, since I will have a 45 day leave period and only have plans for about 15-20 days. There is however a DIR-F class in Florida that's going on during that time and the Nitrox cert is definitely an added kicker.

Peace,
Greg

One of the things about both classes is that what's on a calendar is only a small part of what's happening OR what's possible. The trick is to figure out where you want to do the class, and contact the instructor and find out if he has one or more people who are trying to set one up. For example, there is at least one person here in Seattle who really wants to do Fundies in October, but hasn't got a teammate -- and the class can't be taught as a solo class. This kind of thing happens a lot.

One of the things about both classes is that what's on a calendar is only a small part of what's happening OR what's possible. The trick is to figure out where you want to do the class, and contact the instructor and find out if he has one or more people who are trying to set one up. For example, there is at least one person here in Seattle who really wants to do Fundies in October, but hasn't got a teammate -- and the class can't be taught as a solo class. This kind of thing happens a lot.

Thanks again for the info. I will start looking around and seeing who is trying to get something started in my time frame. I'm not too afraid of traveling to get this done, but I am looking at primarily the western seaboard due to travel concerns.

Peace,
Greg

Thanks again for the info. I will start looking around and seeing who is trying to get something started in my time frame. I'm not too afraid of traveling to get this done, but I am looking at primarily the western seaboard due to travel concerns.

Peace,
Greg

There are 5 UTD instructors in California.
2 in San Jose
3 in SoCal
2 more in Seattle
1 in Victoria, BC
and 1 in Vancouver, BC
I'm sure you could combine Essentials with nitrox if you ask.

There are 2 GUE instructors in SoCal, 1 in Monterey area, and one that bounces between So. California and BC Canada (4 total). Plus another which travels to BC and another in WA.

I wouldn't look at either agency's calender, I would email the instructors you think are a good fit for you and see what might be available in your timeframe.

If the OP hasn't yet taken a nitrox course, clearly Fundamentals is the better value.

Out of curiosity, does a GUE/F card specifically state 32%? Or is it equivalent to a generic "basic nitrox" card?

In other words, if someone took fundies because they wanted to learn the great team skills etc., but wanted to forgo standard gases in favor of "best mix," would their card cover 22% through 40% per se?

Out of curiosity, does a GUE/F card specifically state 32%? Or is it equivalent to a generic "basic nitrox" card?

In other words, if someone took fundies because they wanted to learn the great team skills etc., but wanted to forgo standard gases in favor of "best mix," would their card cover 22% through 40% per se?

Mine says, "Trained in skill refinement and the use of 32% Nitrox." I guess it would depend on how loosely your shop/fill station interprets that.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom