DIR-F class will now be a certification class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sillygrendel once bubbled...
I fully intend to take the class because it is one of the best out there :D

Anyone trained in science should undertand the value of peer review -- which is my main issue.

I'm certainly not suggesting that their studies are bogus... I'm just saying that without peer review, you or I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

If you don't get it, you don't get it!! There is no real argument. You value of peer review, or you don't.

We appreciate the concept of peer review more then anyone else, and we have plenty of them to offer, but the question becomes at some point what good does it do to engage is pissing contests amongsts scuba diver's to debate medical peer reviewed studies??

I generally prefer to avoid getting into such level of detail on a recreational scuba forums since much of the science that is being reported is subject to debate even within the scientific community, so debating such levels of minuate are generally unproductive and inconclusive.. I’ve taken the liberty to do some research quickly and much to my surprise the idea of marrying scuba diving and smoking is deemed acceptable by many of the recreational dive agencies. GUE has taken the position that above and beyond the acknowledged safety concerns associated with smoking such as, but not limited to, increased heart rate, increased systolic and diastolic blood pressures, circulatory and respiratory concerns that the Carbon Monoxide produced by cigarette smoke add up to an unnecessary additional risk.

Carbon Monoxide is a byproduct of cigarette smoke. The hemoglobin in our blood stream will take up Carbon Monoxide {CO} MORE THAN 200 TIMES rapidly that it will take up oxygen. Therefore when a person breathes in air containing high levels of C0, slowly the sites on the hemoglobin molecules that should carry Oxygen [02] are overtaken by CO, and that person suffers INCREASING RESPIARATORY INSUFFICENCY and general tissue hypoxia. So before we even get to the percentages of hemoglobin buildup it’s important to note that the respitory is also a major concern of GUE. Some have tried to reduce the level of debate to simply an impairment level, irrespective of the notion that I have continued to maintain that there are more issues then just the binding of the hemoglobin.

If anyone cares to wade through the volumes of documents and studies on the www.tabaccodocuments.org site you see clearly that the various analyses provide for a SIGNIFICANT INCREASE in the peak mean Carbon Monoxide levels. Emphasis added on the language used in the study is SIGNIFICANT INCREASE. When you further review the JNat’l Cancer Institutes studies that provide” The mean adduct level in smoker’s (184 pg of 4-ABP per gram of hemoglobin) was SUBSTANTIALLY HIGHER then that of a non-smoker (22 pg/g). The difference is statistically significant.” The conclusion states in pertinent part states “4-ABP hemoglobin adduct levels in non-smokers were 14% of the level of the smoker which is consistent with the FINDINGS OF 20% IN TWO OTHER STUDIES”. So while I’m at home today and didn’t have immediate access to the studies that I cited as 25%, it appears that the JNat’l Cancer institute is comfortable citing 2 studies in the 20% range. With all due respect to Genesis wherein he suggested that *if you even get into the teens, you would have needed to chain smoke for an hour and have emphysema.

As I noted I think it usually unproductive to start playing tit for tat with respect to medical studies, and I make no representation that I’m a doctor. The point isn’t whether the information provides for only a mere 8% as Genesis suggested, or the 20% that the JNat’l Cancer institute acknowledges of the up to 25% that I previously cited.. The larger and most important issue is that it is a STATITICALLY SIGNIFCANT INCREASE as acknowledged by all of the leading experts. 2 scuba diver’s parsing National Cancer institutes findings certainly is a waste of my time. The larger and more important issue is that the increase in impairment is significant and widely recognized which, in part, has lead to a decision at GUE to limit our training to those that are seeking ways to limit risk, not needlessly accept added risks. Despite some conspiracy theories that have been banded about, our general goal is to reduce risk and increase safety. For those that disagree I respect your decision and wish you luck as there are other agencies that are more relaxed in their approach towards the issue.

Regards

The larger and more important issue is that the increase in impairment is significant and widely recognized which, in part, has lead to a decision at GUE to limit our training to those that are seeking ways to limit risk, not needlessly accept added risks.

Then why does GUE train people with BMIs that are outside of the "normal" range?

Further, since you have noted that the issue with smoking is not limited to CO uptake, and, quite frankly, its probably the least of the issues to be concerned about with regards to diving (the bigger issues being the impact of nicotine on the heart and circulatory system) why is it that smokeless tobacco is also not banned?

As I said, Mike, this is quite a bit like banning crack cocaine but saying its ok if you snort the powder.

Is this how your PADI class went??? :confused:
PSDF=PADI Scuba Diving Facility
G= Genesis

Ring , ring

PSDF-Hello? Padi Scuba Diving Facility, can I help you?

G- Hi, I’d like to take an Advanced Open Water class.

PSDF- Not problem sir. That will cost $150.00 and we can sign you up right now. What is your BOW certifcation number?

G- WHAT? BOW certification? Why do I need that?

PSDF- Well sir, we’ve found out that 100 percent of those students that don’t have a BOW class cannot do the skills of the AOW class.

G-100 PERCENT??? Hey, I’ve been diving for 150 years and I’m the greatest diver in the world. I don’t need a BOW c-card to take an AOW class.

PSDF-Well sir, a few people have very high opinion of their diving skills, but we find that most don’t know what they are doing uness they take a BOW course first.

G-Ah ha! So some of your students have the ability to pass this class. That makes it less than 100 percent, doesn’t it? I’m not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about your statistics. You first said 100 percent, and then you said a few might have had the skills. Which one is it? How can I be sure that the rest of the information from the class will not be bogus also?

PSDF- Doesn’t really matter sir. If you don’t have the BOW c-card, then you can’t take our AOW class.

G-Listen. State your criterion for requirements to a AOW class. Your un-scientific numbers are really looking bad here. How can I go into a class knowing that someone said 100 percent but really meant 99 percent? Is that fair, or reasonable? I think not. I need to see studies that are peer reviewed that show the numbers you state. Please have the statistician call me.

PSDF- Huh?

G-It is pretty obvious to me, and to a number of others, that the issue is NOT risk-related. This is a policy position that is motivated by and through personal prejudice with regards to particular choices, and NOT their effects.

PSDF- Huh?

G-Give me, and the rest of us, OBJECTIVE standards for entrance into your courses, that can be measured, tested against, and give us a performance bar which I can work towards and meet on my own.

PSDF- Okay sir. Here’s an objective standard. Bring in your BOW c-card, and we’ll let you take the AOW course. If you don’t bring in the card, we won’t let you take the course. Is that okay with you?

G-You SHOULD care that I have a set of skills, and a particular level of physical fitness.

PSDF- Well sir, we do that in the BOW class. If you pass the class, then you get to take the next level. If you don’t agree with that position, that’s okay also. Maybe another organization would be willing to teach you AOW without a BOW card. I can give you the phone numbers if you’d like and you can call them and find out.

G-No. I want to take your class because it's the best, but I don't like the reasoning that you give for entrance criterion. I should be the one to decide what criterion is right for me.

PSDF- Click.

:D

Michael Kane, I realize that this discussion about DIR certification has been severely side tracked by Genesis into a medical tangent filled with questions and little answers. I want to understand regarding certification specifically, that the primary reason for not allowing smoking is due to GUE/DIR's holistic approach to life and diving - correct?

And in that regard most agree from a physiological perspective (as well as partial pressure physics) that smoking and diving don't mix. Back to certification - what has peaked my curiosity is to what extent, that is to what measurable extent, will a certification card be based on a person's holistic approach to life and diving. I saw some points on BMI measurements, swim test, etc. However, I haven't been able to locate a "health admittance scorecard" anywhere yet. The holistic aspect is one of the legs of the DIR approach triangle - right? Please tell me how then will this be measured?

FINE PRINT:
Regarding the rest of the arguments here all they've served to accomplish is to indicate that GUE has the right to set holistic requirements for inclusion in their "club". They require DIR divers to take a holistic approach to life as well as diving. GUE certainly isn't the first organization to have health requirements for its members. And it is their right to set these standards - whatever their motivation. IMO - since neither Michael or Genesis are physicians who specialize in the study of blood and blood fractions I really don't care what information they've pulled to support their views. I've personally read, heard and watched enough information in my lifetime to be convinced the smoking is bad for one's health and incompatible with recreational sports. That is why I don't smoke.

DB-

Check out the medical and registration form on www.gue.com.

It might answer some of your questions.

detroit diver once bubbled...

Snip one of the funniest things I've read on this list

:D

You have got to put coke alerts on that, you cost me a monitor..

Thanks for the laugh..

Later

My lord, Gen... Are you really bored today? Why not go out and do some diving instead?

Sheesh.

Genesis once bubbled...
Michael, its clear that instead of answering the substantive points I've raised in this debate, you have chosen instead to attempt to quote nonsensical irrelavent "studies" that STILL don't make your point and STILL ignore the actual focus of what I've had to say on the matter.

Gen, you haven't raised any "substansive points." What you've said, in a nutshell, is that you have proof that there are a lot of studies that show that there are certain percentages of dissolved gasses in the bloodstream. Well, duh. You go further (and frankly drone quite a bit) to discuss the CO levels and CO2 levels in the bloodstream, which are completely irrelevant and independent of what Mike said in the first place. Read again.

What you've really done here, Gen, is dominate this post with mile-long, pointless arguments about chemical reations in the bloodstream, which are both independent and unaffiliated with what we were all talking about in the first place.

The other thing you've managed to do is drive off the people who have the experience and expertise on the matter. When was the last time you dove the 'Doria, Gen? I'd love to see you and MHK go head-to-head with a simple skill test. And based on those, I choose to listen to his experience and expertise.

Your pointless drivel has done nothing but made you feel good about yourself. So be it. I hope it worked. Enjoy it, however pointless.

The bottom line, as I've always said, (and DD said the same) is that smoking's bad for you, and it impairs your diving. GUE says, "No smoking." That's the rules. If you don't want to go by their rules, then don't. We don't care.

The Von Burg study you reference is a 1990 work on patients with pre-existing neurological illness!

I found a cite to it in a few minutes, although I haven't been able to find the entire study itself online. However, the study that referenced it (a work published on 6/15/1990 at the University of Arizona) produced the following quote:

This is from a study at the University of Arizona that was published and peer-reviewed, and which cited your "claimed" one.

Note the TWO TO FIVE PERCENT IMPAIRMENT producing physiologically-significant symptoms including nausea and vomiting!

You see, Gen... There you go again. "Two to five percent impairment." Two to five percent of what? Two percent of the blood was unable to carry O2? Two percent of the person's body mass was CO2? Two percent of the O2 in the person's blood was replaced by nicotine?

What's worse, is that you go on these long rants, once you find a number that you like... Which have no relevance to the topic at hand. It's very strange. As I've said before, I think you just like ot hear yourself talk. I'm not even reading all of your posts any more.

I was looking for that point of view SPECIFICALLY because I know, from personal experience with my daughter at birth, and also due to an aunt of mine who has been an RN for more than 30 years, that even a 95% O2 saturation reading in a patient - down by as little as 5% from normal - is cause for SERIOUS concern and immediate remedial action. It was that personal knowledge that tripped my "BS" detector when you made your original claim.

Whatever. Then you're still missing the point. I don't know how else to explain it to you. Smoke = impaired. GUE says "no smoke." Take it or leave it. Obviously, you want to leave it. Fine. Leave it.

Nor is this the only example. A long debate on the medical forum here a few months ago roundly debunked the GUE claim that offgassing efficiency was affected in any manner of physiological significance by a horizontal body position, never mind that GUE has long maintained this as "fact" as well. Yet there is zero scientific, peer-reviewed data to support THAT position, and when the physiologists and physicians weighed in, the bottom line was that the claim was pure bunk.

Ascending horizontally has other advantages as well. It makes your body resistant to depth changes. It allows you to better fend for yourself in a current. It allows you to get to your buddy quicker. Perhaps someone said that it was better for deco, too... I don't know, and I don't have any evidence for or against that. Again, it doesn't matter. The other advantages are there anyway.

Of course, if you had any experience with these courses, then you'd know that. But you haven't... And so you just continue to drone about pointless drivel.

My issue has all along been the absolute VOID in response, filled by misdirection and complaints about irrelevancies, along with attempted diversions (as with the Von Berg study you claimed to "cite") when the lack of OBJECTIVE evidence is brought to the forefront in these debates related to GUE postulates.

In other words, you haven't seen "proof" of the claims. Why don't you just say that?

This is exactly why I've recommended the class since day one. They'll show you all the proof you need. No need for citations... Prove it to yourself.

But you refuse. Well, that's cool then... Continue to call the sky green. We don't care. Enjoy it. If one day you want the answers, then come take the class and have them show you. If you don't feel that you learned anything, you'll get a full refund. See how simple that is?

This is not about smoking and diving Mike. It is about GUE's credibility in making claims of scientific fact that appear to this individual to be entirely manufacturered, in that when challenged GUE's response, instead of producing the compendium of scientific, peer-reviewed evidence backing the position, is one of obfuscation, claims that the data is "proprietary", or some other form of misdirection.

Man, you're just outta control. Why won't you simply step up to the plate and go get the answers? I think you've used every combination of words you can possibly think of to express your position of uneducation. Yes, we hear you. We see you. Come find out or quit bellyaching.

This thread here is just ONE example of many. I nailed you and good on Usenet related to the Triox claims you made about CO2 retention and the significance of it, or lack thereof, at 100' on Triox .vs. Nitrox. You claimed that the data was "proprietary" and that you "wouldn't give it away on the Internet". Well, if its unpublished, then its unverified, and is nothing more than a claim, not a fact. If it IS published, peer reviewed, and verified, then there is nothing to hide.

There IS nothing to hide. You simply want to scream and yell. I don't have any other explanation as to why the answers would be offered you, but you refuse to take them.

I agree that information, which the understanding of could mean the difference between life and death, should not be shared in passing on a board or BBS. That's simply a really dangerous way to give people information. Rarely does the internet allow for the perfect thought to be conveyed correctly.

You ran away from that debate when I called you out on it and you're running away from this one as well.

He's not running. He said, "Here's my number, call me." He said, "Come take the class... I'll give you a money-back guarantee." He said, "I'm not sharing that information with you ober the internet. If you want to know, then by all means, come take the course and I'll teach you." Later, after many paragraphs of argument from you, he said, "I've said my peace, and my offer stands to you. I'm not discussing it any longer." Simple. You'd do the same if someone such as yourself came up and demanded to know your most important knowlege, arguing the entire way, out of complete ignorance. Eventually, you simply say, "Enough is enough." That's not the sign of a coward running... That's the sign of a leader drawing the line and keeping his promises.

I believe that as dive training consumers we have not only a right but an obligation to call on the carpet ALL agencies who push conjecture, opinion, and innuendo as scientific fact. After all, its our butt (and I'm not talking about a cigarette butt either) on the line down there.

Agreed. However, you're attempting to "call on the carpet" and you have no idea what you're talking about. You've never taken the class. You've never dived with one of these guys. You've never had any formal training whatsoever from any of them. You've never been exposed to any of their training. Why do you think you are qualified to pass judgement on thier training if you've never been exposed to it?

Instead of considering that option and responding with a rational debate on the matter at hand, you (and GUE, by extension) have chosen to simple circle the wagons and attempt to defend the original policy with quotes out of context and science of questionable applicability AT BEST.

That's not how the rest of us see it. We see it that you challenged some of GUE's ideals, and Mike said, "Come find out. Class is free if you don't learn anything." From that point, I think you wrote a small book on your beliefs, which include the concept that smoking isn't "all that bad" for you, and that a diver has the ability to still be their best even if they smoke. You went to great lengths to discredit GUE, even though you have no personal experience with them or personal knowlege of what their ideals really are. The funny thing is that in all of your ramblings, very little of it was even pertinent, and of that, none of it proving anything but the fact that you have no experience or knowlege of GUE.

By doing so you've gone from seeking a check-mark to tattooing a big red "X" on GUE's forehead - a development I find most unfortunate.

*yawn* Not for those who've been there. We know better because we were there.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
Michael Kane, I realize that this discussion about DIR certification has been severely side tracked by Genesis into a medical tangent filled with questions and little answers. I want to understand regarding certification specifically, that the primary reason for not allowing smoking is due to GUE/DIR's holistic approach to life and diving - correct?

And in that regard most agree from a physiological perspective (as well as partial pressure physics) that smoking and diving don't mix. Back to certification - what has peaked my curiosity is to what extent, that is to what measurable extent, will a certification card be based on a person's holistic approach to life and diving. I saw some points on BMI measurements, swim test, etc. However, I haven't been able to locate a "health admittance scorecard" anywhere yet. The holistic aspect is one of the legs of the DIR approach triangle - right? Please tell me how then will this be measured?

.[/SIZE]

In a perfect world I suspect we would want everyone to get PFO tested, probably have increased physical fitness standards but I'm not sure what the perfect balance is. For example, Ted Cole was arguing feroscioulsy that he wanted a 3 mile run included in the fitness requirements. At GUE, I don't think we have all the answers in that regard I just know that we are a new agency and we are growing. As we grow we are continually striving for the right balance. Is it perfect where we have it, I don't know but we are trying. In some respects you are correct the smoking is part in parcel of the holostic approach to diving. We promote physical fitness and healthy living. It is important to note that we are under no illusions that our training is for everyone, nor do we want it to be. We aren't out to compete with the larger agencies to help certify the masses, we are interested in helping serious minded diver's gain greater proficiency at the sport. Other agencies are available for those that feel our stanards are too rigid. Our goal is to stay true to what we believe in, not gain market share at the expense of compromising our core ideologies..

Ealier in this thread there was a comparisson made to GUE requirements and the WKPP mandates. I'm a member of the WKPP and the post was correct in that in order to join the WKPP you need to pass a series of physical fitness requirments and you do need to have had a PFO test. But the WKPP enjoys a luxury that GUE doesn't. The WKPP is anything but inclusive, it's anything but open minded, and it's anything but democratic. The WKPP is run by George Irvine and if you don't like the rules it's simple, you're out.. GUE is somewhat more objective then that, but that doesn't mean we need to compromise our core ideologies in an effort to introduce the DIR philosophy to those interested..

Hope that helps..

Later

I happen to think that the 3 mile run is a good idea! You could drop the smoking nonsense with it, because I bet that 90% of the smokers couldn't complete the run - and those that could are not people "at risk" as you define it. Set the time limit wherever you think is a reasonable minimum objective aerobic fitness level.

That is the EXACT kind of objective standard that I was talking about Mike. It would put GUE in a class all its own, in that instead of BS you'd be walking the talk - THAT I would admire, and it would further give me a set of training goals that I could shoot at and know that I'd be ok - that I'd pass - when I got there.

Same deal with the "dive skills" stuff I was talking about. Determine them and publish them! The DIR-F book has a decent set of these in terms of what it means to have "decent", "good" or "excellent" buoyancy control, for example. So set up some objective standards for entrance to Tech-1, -2, -3, etc.

Now you TRULY raise the bar, and even better, you give other people a target to shoot at. You'd be advancing the state of dive training in a real sense, instead of a rhetorical one.

That was the entire essence of the point I've been making in this thread...

BTW, some agencies do permit skill-based substitution for C-cards at their more-advanced levels, recognizing that some divers have eschewed the "traditional" route of collecting C-cards and instead have gone diving - and learning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom