DIR-F class will now be a certification class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis once bubbled...

I've never sais that I'll "never" want the training. In fact, I was considering taking Tech-1 from you guys somewhere down the road, when I think I'm ready for it (which is not "right now", but might be later this summer, or in another years - all depends on how I feel about my skills at that point)

That's a strong indictment, yes, but it is the inescapable conclusion that I am coming to on this point, and for me, at least, it poisons the atmosphere in regards to undergoing GUE training.

Genesis,

I'm trying to stay professional in my dealings with you, I see no reason for you to resort to name calling. That being said, as I noted I have no interest in disecting your alleged numbers versus ours on the internet. You suggest that we should show our scientific evidence, which we give out to all of our students and is cited in our class material, so my real question to you is, just how much do you expect that we give away for free on the internet??? In general terms, you agree with me that there is cardio and respitory limitations associated with smoking, you agree with me that there are other ill-advised associated health risks associated with smoking, and you agree with me that there is a level of reduction associated with the binding of teh hemoglobin that we have been discussing, you just differ with respect to the percentage 10% -v- up to 25%.. So in all material ascpects you support the idea that smoking and diving generally are incompatible.. Once you start getting into splitting hairs about how much do you smoke, is it cigars -v- cigarrettes you invite a standard that is toothless. By avoiding smokers in total we are able to focus people's attention on to the dangers associated with smoking and diving, and we avoid being the smoking police and attempt to monitor the casual smoker versus the chain smoker or the cigar smoker.. We appraoch the issue that smoking has an adverse effect of respitory and oxygen transport and if your intention is to parse the level of additional risks your are willing to accept as a smoker, then I would suggest that GUE training probably isn't for you. We are not about accepting added risks for the sake of continuing an unhealthy practice... In all due respect, the fact is that we believe that there is a increased level of risk associated with smoking, and if you choose to accept that risk there are plenty of other agencies that will allow the practice so I suggest you seek there training.. While I appreciate that you say that you don't smoke, the fact is that we welcome exchanges of ideas, but it seems to me that you agree overall that smoking is an activity that increases the risk, but for some reason you believe that we invented this concept for some reason that has ulterior motive. Although you make no offer what such a motive is??? Moreover, the result limits our market, not increase it. So to me it looks like your looking for a smoking gun that simply doesn't exist..

Later

wetman once bubbled...
I do think though, that if they do publish numbers they should publish the scientific journals to back themselves up. If they use elevated numbers to exagerate, that can only harm them. If they only state the verifiable facts - they'd still have a good argument in this case.

But to say:

There are other reasons to be concerned with smoking and diving, but hemogloben binding isn't one of the truly valid excuses.

Thanks for the thoughtful post, and as you know there is varying scientific data available, and to speak to your point about the studies, they are included in our materials that we hand out for our students. These red-herrings about scientific studies being bandered about on the interent is obfuscation. The fact is that whether it's 10%, as Genesis would have you believe, or 15% as one of your studies cite, or uo to 25% as some of our studies say is besides the point. Even accepting Genesis' lowest number of 8%, when you couple that with the other acknowledged health defecienies associated with smoking totals an unacceptable level of additional risk in our view.. Once the denate gets bogged down into whether you smoke a few cigarettes a day, or two packs a day, or cigars or pipes you miss the message. Our message is larger then whether you smoke Marlboro lights or cigars.. It's that scuba is a sport that requires physical activity and as such be approached from that perspective..

Later

I really didn't mean to start this much of a sh!tstorm on this issue. I simply wanted to make it clear that I believe there is a motive other the health issue and to say that I was displeased with the policy.

As Mr. Kane says, there's really no point in arguing it because it is their policy regardless of the reasoning and nothing we say here is going to change it. Further discussion of the topic will only foster bad feelings on both sides of the issue which only harms all of us.

I appreciate the support from Karl as well as the answers from Mr. Kane regarding the policy.

WW

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
People WILL NOT sign up for a DIRF class if they feel that they may be required to take it multiple times. If GUE actually does this, they will lose a large number of potential customers.

Think about it. That's what a class should be about. If you don't pass the requirements, you take the class again. Kind of like high school or college, huh? If you flunk the class, you need to take it again to go to the next level. Only the best move forward. The rest are left behind to work on improving themselves.

The mindset of the current agencies is that everyone passes. Does that make sense either?

Large number of potential customers is NOT what GUE is looking to produce. I know it might sound strange coming from the existing environment, but they are putting their money where their mouth is. They only want those that truly want them. And they want the best.

Now THAT'S a bar to reach for!

thank you GUE for taking a stand on the diver smoking issue I wish all the agencies would follow I firmly believe that if a person wants to dive they should be required to be in at least good shape. I am not saying that 12% body fat is OK and 13% is not but people who drink and dive ,do drugs ,cant fit into the largest off the shelf wetsuit .etc . maybe should look into other forms of recreation. do you ever see olympic athletes abuse their body and then expect to perform . scuba is a little different in that we have ways for handicapped individuals to dive to some extent . I have heard stories of people who were partially paralyzed who found ways to dive again. that is not what I am talking about.I believe most agencies only care about getting a medical release signed by the diver . they dont care if the diver lies about their triple bypass brain transplant.as long as there is a little paper they can give the lawyers when the next of kin come calling.I am sorry for ranting but recently I have come across instances of agencies giving more weight to liability limiting paper than actually encouraging the training to ensure safety.Sure the paper is important but back it up with sound policy.
joens

that smoking increases the level of risk in your life.

So does walking across the road.
Or driving a car.
Or consuming alcoholic beverages.
Or being overweight.
Or any one of a number of genetic factors, including the presence of a PFO.
Or skydiving.
Or being a gay male.

Or, god forbid, diving!

The point, Michael, which you continue to side-step and instead trot out the "increased risk" mantra, is that GUE is ignoring the other factors that contribute to the risk in your life, and singles out this particular one, even though the causation you claim exists simply does not.

Further, if you REALLY wanted to screen out smokers, you could mandate a CBC-style carboxy-hemogloben test, which some employers are indeed using these days to screen out smokers during employment procedures. The problem with that test is that it measures ACTUAL CO binding, and thus it can show you as a "possible smoker" if you sit in a smoke-filled restaurant before the test! For that matter, such a test would filter out other real (as opposed to imiginary GUE-style) risk factors, such as borderline anemia.

In terms of total risk involved in deco procedures, its likely arguable that the BMI is a better indicator than smoking. Yet I don't see a "BMI cutoff figure" in your requirements. Why not?

Or, for that matter, where's the mandate for a PFO test in your tech training?

You seem to be focused on the idea of pecuniary benefit in a particular policy. I've levelled no such charge, nor would I - its obvious to me (and I think everyone else) that these policies are going to exclude perfectly-fit divers and thus reduce your marketplace.

My argument is entirely with the trotting out of junk science and false claims to support your position.

It is both unnecessary and, far more importantly, draws into immediate question the accuracy of the rest of the claimed science and physiology that is part and parcel of dive training!

Second, as regards cigars .vs. marlboros, yes, Mike, it does matter. Greatly. Perhaps you can explain to me how the risk of mouth cancer impacts upon diving and the risks therein? It doesn't. That much is clear. There is more CO uptake associated with rebreathing the second-hand cigar smoke than there is with the original draw (assuming you're not outside on a golf course!) And oh, by the way, smokeless tobacco (e.g. snuff, chew, etc) has the same kind of risk profile as do cigars - but that's not "smoking", so its ok with GUE, right?

Our message is larger then whether you smoke Marlboro lights or cigars.. It's that scuba is a sport that requires physical activity and as such be approached from that perspective..

Yes, it is. On that point we agree.

So why not draw the line based on aerobic fitness, make it an objective line, and handle the situation that way?

Look Mike, I understand that there are some people within GUE that have nearly-rabid, nazi-style views when it comes to consumption of burning tobacco products. Its a well-known fact. Nor are those people alone - it has all the markers of a craze in the country today. I did consulting work for a firm in Chicago a few years ago that has an absolute zero-tolerance policy towards tobacco - to the point that mere possession of tobacco on their property is cause for immediate dismissal, they will not hire smokers, and you must prove by invasive physical exam that you are a non-smoker to get hired (they look for both nicotine metabolites AND carboxy-hemogloben - you'll get nailed if you use snuff as well as cigarettes.)

I support their right, as a private employer, to make such a choice, just as I support GUE's right to say "no smokers admitted."

It IS GUE's right to do that.

As I've repeatedly pointed out, I do not run afoul of that bar, since I don't smoke. That doesn't change the fact that I support people's right to make lifestyle choices that impact upon their health and longevity, and to judge the cost:benefit ratio for themselves. After all, without that right I wouldn't be able to dive, would I?

My sole objection is to presenting this as something that it is not, trotting out junk science, and making a false scientific claim to support a subjective ban of a particular practice while ignoring other lifestyle choices that have an equal or even greater impact upon aerobic - and diving - fitness than smoking does.

The unfortunate reality is that if you were to give me those particular "studies" in your class (but you won't provide me a cite here, in a public forum - why not Mike, if they're true, peer-reviewed scientitic studies?) I, having read several real peer-reviewed scientific studies, and knowing that factually, a person with 10% of their hemogloben impaired from O2 transport by CO-binding would be suffering from severe flu-like symptoms, that your cited "study" is either wrong or an intentional fake.

Now, an hour later, as we discuss deco procedures, you trot out a second "study" showing how your accelerated oxygen-window deco procedures work.

How am I supposed to view Study #2, upon which exiting from the water bend-free depends, when I know that the first one was a work of fiction?

THAT has been my point all along, and I am distressed that instead of addressing the point that I've been raising here, you choose instead to side-step the issue and look at the tangental areas of the debate.

PS: I did try to call you and take this offline. Got "financial services" - I guess that's your work number you posted above :)

Genesis,

I’m hoping that you can clear something up for me. You have suggested that we are engaging in “junk Science” that is a “common chestnut that GUE puts forth..and is scientifically bankrupt” You the further went on to challenge the our credibility by saying the following: If you are teaching junk instead of science, then what else is junk? Can I trust any of the science that I am being trained upon from GUE?”

In other words you have specifically stated that you have “credible, scientific evidence” to counter the GUE charge. In fact, you are quoted as saying the following

“The typical maximum "binding" that occurs in HEAVY smokers is approximately 8%. You might be able to transiently exceed 10% if you were to chain-smoke for an hour or so. This is a scientifically-determined number Mike, not something that GUE has circulated (without scientific backing or citation, I might add.)”

And

“If you manage to get into the teens, its because in addition to smoking you've also managed to develop emphysema or some other serious impairment as a consequence of your smoking, at which point you're not going to be diving anyway. You will be EXTREMELY sick at that point - at 10% hemogloben binding you start to feel very sick - kinda like the flu, but worse.”

So in other words your “scientific data” that refutes the GUE position is that if you are a heavy smoker perhaps you can get to 8%, at 10% you would be worse off then having the flu and if you chain smoked for an hour and got into the teens it’s because in addition to the heavy smoking you have emphysema or some other serious impairment..

Now quickly scanning the Von Burg study it states in pertinent part:

“ levels found in heavy smoker’s can be greater than 10% and can be sometimes as high as 15%” In other words, he completely contradicts your point of view, not to mention that he doesn’t suggest that you need to have emphysema in order to achieve levels of up to 15%..

Given that you have suggested that we engage in “junk science” and put credibility into question, I’m wondering if you could speak to your inconsistent position with that of the Von Burg study??

Furthermore, as I’ve noted it’s generally unproductive to engage in this type of discussions on a scuba forum, and I’ll note for the record that I am not a doctor so my information is from other medical and scientific professionals that know far more about the issue then do I. But the fact is still irrefutable that there is a level of binding, in addition to the other acknowledged safety concerns associated with smoking and as an agency GUE chooses to avoid engaging in those added risks..

Later

Genesis, I completely respect what you're doing. I am "with" you on the detail you've gone into.

And nobody would like to see them "bend" the rules for smokers than me. I really, really like a good cigar now and then.

But I'm a "big picture" kind of guy. I've found that no matter what the rule, no matter what the law, and no matter what the detail (in this example, whether or not I'm 8% impaired or 25% impaired), I've found that the overall idea is more important than the detail.

And flat-out, I know I am impaired from smoking. I've been a nonsmoker before. I know the difference. I can feel it. And to be honest, it feels more like 50%, not 8%. You may be right that the hemoglobin is affected by 8%... Or 10%... Or 25%... Frankly, I'm not interested in the actual numbers... I'm interested in the the fact that I'm impaired. By choice. I'm impaired by choice. Think about that for a second.

As an instructor, how would you feel about a student that's impaired by choice? Whether or not they're actually impaired, or by how much is somewhat irrelevant... It's got more to do with the fact that the student's head isn't screwed on straight if they're impaired by choice. Get it?

Let me ask you this... Is your 8% "hemoglobin impairment" including the reduction in lung capacity due to the extra phelm in my lungs? Does it include the reduction of the size of the veins and capillaries, and thus reduced tissue gas exchange? Does it include the impairment from the additional toxins that I'm putting in my body with the smoke? Do you know what's in that stuff?

To have GUE tell me that I'm 25% impaired... Or have a reduction in O2 exchange efficiency of 25%... Or that I'm getting 25% less O2 in my body... I don't care how it was worded. What I care about is the fact that I am, in fact, impaired. By choice. And frankly, I believe that 25% is a conservative number. I'd say that your average smoker is at LEAST 25% less aerobically fit than your average nonsmoker. No scientific study there... Just a simple observation from someone who was once a sponsored athelete and now smokes cigars. I can assure you that I'm MORE than 25% impaired.

My body keeps telling me, "Then why the hell do you enjoy it so??" :) For that, I have no answer, but I gotta cut these things out of my lifestyle, 'cause I'm impaired. By more than 8%. By more than 25%, all things combined. Does it really matter what the process is?

The other "big picture" thing that I'd like to point out is that both MHK and I have made the point... And you agreed... That these lessons could not be taught over the Internet... Yet you continue. I understand your desire to continue this thrashing of DIR... I believe it to be borne of a true curiosity and desire to understand it. Fair enough... So you begin to ask questions. When they don't "jive" or you only get half the story, you start asking questions, and even arguing a point. Fair enough.

But I'm telling you, you simply are not going to get the answers on a board. You're not going to get the answers by chatting about it. You're not going to get the answers from any other source than by experiencing it.

Are you really curious? Buy "The Fundamentals of DIR," a book by JJ... Available at http://www.extreme-exposure.com. In there, you'll find a lot of your questions answered. If it makes you even more curious, then take the course to see if DIR is right for you.

If it's not, then great. Go dive and enjoy your non-DIR lifestyle. :D

then why quote 25%? Is doubling a published number appropriate to try to argue your point?

Second, there is a known physiological reaction to smoking in that more hemogloben is produced. Its the body's reaction to the impairment over time, and the higher levels you cite are reached only by chain smokers - who have built a tolerance to the impairment through the production of additonal hemogloben.

If your normal level is 100%, and you are 10% impaired, you will begin to suffer flu-like symptoms. That is a medical fact, and is the basis for the "warning levels" associated with the time/dose response curves for CO detectors in the home.

If your body's reaction to a "normal" 5% impairment is to produce 5% more hemogloben, then your "normal" level becomes 105%, but of course 5% of that is normally impaired. You thus have a "normal" O2 transport capability, even though you smoke, in your "average" state. A 10% impairment (after you chain-smoke a few cigarettes) now does not produce flu-like symptoms, but the impact on your O2 transport is only 5% below baseline!

This is WHY a chain smoker does not suffer from the effects of CO poisoning (the flu-like symptoms), while if you or I, as a NON-smoker, were to sit and smoke 3 or 4 cigarettes in a row we would be throwing up and feel like our heads were run over by a truck - the CO levels would be high enough to cause us to suffer from those symptoms, since we do not have elevated hemogloben levels and thus no "reserves" to absorb the CO hit.

I agree that GUE has a policy that they do not train smokers. Ok. But you need not try to justify it with inflated, hyperbolic claims of science that simply do not meet the test of reason - or even baseline scientific accuracy. Cut the nonsense and junk science and just state it for what it is - you have people in control of GUE that are rabidly anti-smoking, you think its dangerous to your health, and you refuse to train smokers.

Period.

All that trying to justify your position with garbage does is damage your org's credibility and call in question the veracity of everything ELSE you teach that has to do with science and theory - such as the accelerated deco procedures you use.

By your own referenced claimed study, you show binding amounts of 10-15% in HEAVY smokers, not accounting for the overproduction of hemogloben (which you can't ignore, since that bears directly on the ACTUAL amount of hemogloben available for O2 transport.)

Further, none of this applies to CIGAR smoking, which is a non-inhaling activty. The CO never makes it into the alevoli when you smoke a cigar....

Yet your original claim was for more than double that impairment, at which point you'd be literally knocked off your feet and, if your caridiac health was compromised, you'd likely be dead.

GUE further extends the policy to ALL smoking, even when the stud(ies) cited do not implicate ALL practices in question.

Again, is the use of snuff or chew proscribed? Is the issue smoking, or tobacco use? After all, the health effects of tobacco are not limited to those occasioned by inhaling smoke; in fact, the most damaging effects that are related to diving are likely those occasioned from nicotine (possible blood pressure elevation, heart-rate elevation, etc), not the CO.....

Again, if the issue is that there is a minimum aerobic performance requirement to participate in GUE training, then why not structure the testing requirements, and the entrance bar, to reflect that?

It is pretty obvious to me, and to a number of others, that the issue is NOT risk-related. This is a policy position that is motivated by and through personal prejudice with regards to particular lifestyle choices, and NOT their effects.

Testing for effects is easy, cheap, and objective.

The simplest is an aerobic fitness test, as you already have in your swim requirement. If you want to also test tidal lung capacity, there are inexpensive testing devices (most commonly used to assess asthmatics) for that purpose as well. If GUE really wants to get anal about fitness, an objective, structured, medically monitored exercise test (e.g. a treadmill pace .vs. heart rate, etc) could become a requirement, and this would measure objective aerobic fitness, including metabolic gas exchange, with a high degree of accuracy. It would also screen out those with potentially dangerous cardiac conditions - including those who are unaware of them.

A friend of mine who I went to school with died of such an unknown risk last year. He was 38, and had a sudden, no-warning cardiac event. He did not smoke, had no known risk factors, was in good physical condition and was an avid diver. He expired in a non-diving related setting with no prior warning. GUE would have trained him in a heartbeat, and yet he was, objectively, manifestly unsafe for such training. Your current procedures do not address these very identifyable risks, but issue screeds on much more nebulous areas of lifestyle.

Also, as I've noted, there are a LOT of people who are overweight but in far better aerobic condition than many people who are of "normal" BMI.

The issue here Mike isn't really about risks.

Its about a personal vendetta vis-a-vis a lifestyle choice.

This is the same debate I've had with people in law enforcement and the legislatures about the whole "drunk driving" argument on the roads. There are available commercially simple impairment testers that are substance-neutral; they measure what is ACTUALLY complained about, which is impairment of reflex and coordination acuity. THAT is what causes wrecks, not alcohol. Its the EFFECT that is the problem, not the drug. In fact, there are many causes of that effect, and only some of them are related to the ingestion of certain substances.

Law enforcement tests for booze not because its cheaper or is particularly effective (its neither), but because there is a witch-hunt involved in some substances, irrespective of whether they are truly causing the impairment, or whether you're unsafe on the road due to being tired or doped up on cough syrup! Further, it is very politically incorrect to arrest 80 year old drivers who would fail an impairment test due to their age, irrespective of any chemicals in their system. So instead of actually promoting safety, we promote a witch-hunt mentality that actually endangers motorists on balance.

I am "after" GUE on this point only because GUE's own statements hold themselves out as an "elite" training organization with "higher objective standards".

Ok, if you want to make such statements, then you shoudl expect to be challenged on those claims!

Let's see OBJECTIVE standards.
Let's see a truly higher bar, not personal vendettas against CERTAIN lifestyle choices.
Let's see the bar set by OBJECTIVE performance requirements that GUE feels form the minimum acceptable levels of fitness for its various training programs.

It is clear that the minimum fitness levels for DIR-F are nowhere near what they are for "full Cave", or for other advanced levels of training.

Nor should they be.

So set OBJECTIVE criteria, and leave the lifestyle choices out of it.

If a standard is that I must run an 8 minute mile to take Tech-1, whether I can do that smoking 2 packs of cigs a day or no cigs, and whether I have a BMI of 17 or 35, is immaterial. I either meet the standard, or I do not.

If a standard for a particular class is that I must not have a PFO, then I should have to prove that via medical exam.

If a standard for a particular class is that I must swim 400 yards in 10 minutes, then if I can accomplish the goal then I pass, and if not, I fail.

Give me, and the rest of us, OBJECTIVE standards for entrance into your courses, that can be measured, tested against, and give us a performance bar which we can work towards and meet on our own, rather than arbitrary and unsupportable proscriptions on lifestyle.

This was the basis, by the way, of an earlier post of mine on this thread.

I believe strongly in objective entrance criteria. If I want to take Tech-1, why do I need to take DIR-F first?

Why not publish the criteria for ENTRANCE into Tech-1 - objective, verifyable criteria?

When I show up for the class, you should not care who trained me or what card(s) I have and from whom.

You SHOULD care that I have a set of skills, and a particular level of physical fitness.

So publish those criteria, and test me against it. If I pass, then I take the class. If I fail, then you keep some part of my fee (for the testing - your time isn't free) and I go home to work on that which I failed, because I am simply not ready.

OBJECTIVE STANDARDS Mike.

That's what I'm talking about here.

Not personal vendettas.

What is GUE REALLY about?

BTW, MHK and SeaJay, I own DIR-F - the book - and have read it cover-to-cover. More than once. I still come back to the same point - OBJECTIVE standards, not personal vendettas.

SeaJay, you can FEEL that you're impaired by 50% due to cigar smoking, but exactly WHAT is the correct, minimum acceptable level of aerobic fitness for diving at the level you intend to participate at? Set THAT bar - if you meet it, then you do, irrespective of your lifestyle. If you don't, well, then you know that you need to work on some things, right?

Man, I thought I was long-winded. :)

Mike, I think he just wants to hear himself talk. Sorry if that sounds offensive to you Genesis... But this whole thread's gotten pretty bad.

Bottom line: You can't be your best if you choose to impair yourself. What's the issue here?

Of all people, it should be ME most familiar with the smoking issue. It should be ME most familiar with the "impairment," and it should be ME who would be trying to argue that smoking and health are not related topics. (Or at least that smoking does not lessen the body's ability to perform aerobically... Or at least to any significant degree... That doesn't sound silly to you?)

...And of all people, I'm the one who would be most likely to try to argue this point. But I just know better... This isn't about winning some silly debate on the Internet... This is about accepting personal responsibility for your actions. This is about looking at this situation for what it REALLY is. This is about a serious assessment of the situation.

...And something tells me that you don't really believe this crap about smoking not impairing the body very much... Or that this has more to do with someone's personal opinion on the BOD than a set of standards which help to increase bodily performance.

But if that's your belief, then so be it. Why beat us up with this garbage?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom