DIR-F class will now be a certification class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out the medical and registration form on www.gue.com.

OK, I checked the site.
Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that:

No medical exam is required. (only a self-listing of medical history)

No first aid/CPR certification is required.

No physical fitness/swim test is required.

Bob3 once bubbled...

OK, I checked the site.
Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that:

No medical exam is required. (only a self-listing of medical history)

No first aid/CPR certification is required.

No physical fitness/swim test is required.

Bob,

As this class transforms from a non-certification seminar to a certification class GUE will be releasing shortly the revised list of requirements. When the seminar was for non-certification purposes the concept of pass/fail and requisite swim test and such we not necessary. In fact, part of the decision to go from a non-certification seminar to a certification class stemed from the notion that these very issues you point out were lacking..

Hope that helps..

Later

I think I am beginning to see where Genesis is coming from... going back and reading all of his posts... ok... none of us are really reading all of his posts... but going back and reading his first post and his last post... I think I see what the real issue is:

give me a set of training goals that I could shoot at and know that I'd be ok - that I'd pass - when I got there.

Genesis... you need more than the training goals... you need the training to get to the goals.

I think a lot of folks are feeling uneasy about the idea of a pass/fail class... especially since the bar is so high.

You said in your first post that you were considering a Tech 1 class... that was a premature consideration.

Just take the DIRf as a seminar... don't worry about whether you can pass it or not... just go there to learn as much as you can and then go practice what you learned.

When you are ready for Tech 1 you will know it.

telling me to "just drink the Kool-Aid" won't cut it with me.

As I've said a few times, I've had a cult experience in my life, and anything that smells like it gets the instant thumbs-down from me. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt and have vowed NEVER AGAIN.

I simply don't care about "certifications". I have my own boat, am buying my own compressor and building my own fill station, and will dive when and where I please. I am beholden to nobody, and certainly not to an almighty C-card.

As I've described, I eschewed "formal" dry-suit training because I couldn't find anyone who would teach me in a way that I found acceptable. I asked lots of questions, and didn't like the answers. So in the end I taught myself. Do I care? No, I own my own drysuit, so I don't need to flash a card to rent one.

But, there is no point in taking training if you can't meet the entry requirements. And lack of objective standards means that all kinds of games can be played when it comes time to both get in and to pass or fail.

I believe that this is a part of the reason the lack of good training is evident today among most of the agencies.

GUE has long <said> they stood for better.

What I'm challenging them to do - as I did in the Triox discussion - is to walk the talk.

Trying to entice me to have a cult experience doesn't qualify.

DetroitDiver that was halarious, well written. Thanks for your answer to my question - although I fruitlessly searched the GUE site for 1/2 hour and while I found 64 things related to medical and medical history, I must be blind because I didn't find the medical history form itself or any list of specific medical pre-requisites. Perhaps someone could post a very specific link for the white-caned, dark sunglasses populous like myself.

Michael Kane thanks for your answers on this thread. I hope you and yours are able to get a solid certification package together and I'm also looking forward to reading the course materials on your version of a BOW when available. It is awkward at best to make one of your prerequisites to any GUE class that a diver has passed a BOW with another scuba agency.

Genesis I hope you find the 25% statistic your looking for, although when you get it I'm quite sure it won't convince you to take a DIR class. It will more likely facilitate an opportunity for you steam-off about the qualifications of the Phd who wrote the paper, or method of testing that was used, or participants in the study.
in that instead of BS you'd be walking the talk - THAT I would admire
Statistics are just like that, when you want to convince someone of something, you obtain favorable numbers. I cite your petition against the scuba industry as a perfect example. Guilty until proven innocent, black and white, with us or against us - no one can innocently sit on the fence. In my short time reading your posts I'm convinced that stirring up controversy as an opportunity for you to be in the limelight has likely been a staple in your life for a very long time. Who knows maybe someday your words will bring about a change for the good of its listeners. I can't envision it ... but it could happen.

Genesis once bubbled...
I simply don't care about "certifications". I have my own boat, am buying my own compressor and building my own fill station, and will dive when and where I please. I am beholden to nobody, and certainly not to an almighty C-card.
I'm already there. I own two boats and plan on getting another.
I have been pumping my own gas for some time as well.

I didn't need the Tech 1 card... I can do what I want when I want.

However... what I wanted was to find out if GUE had something to offer (admittedly it was less costly back then for me... but you can afford it.)

I found out in the DIRf that I did need the training.

What I learned in the DIR *seminar* was worth far more than I paid for it. It will be worth more than you pay for it too.

I am not suggesting that you drink the cool aid (you crack me up :D)... what I am suggesting is that you take a DIRf and learn something. You don't have to become assimilated to learn something!

I think your fears of cultism are misplaced and I think you don't give yourself enough credit to learn without falling prey to a perceived cult mentality.

Here's a suggestion for "somebody" that is worried about entrance requirements, and the ability to "pass' the DIRF class.

Sign up for it RIGHT NOW before the requirements take effect. Get into a class that MHK is giving. Then, you have:

1. No entrance requirements other than those posted currently.

2. No equipment requirement other than those posted currently.

3. No requirement as a pass/fail course. You just take it and gain knowledge.

4. A 100 percent peer reviewed money back guarantee.

5. No bullsh*t excuse why you won't be taking this class.

You might even get a lesson on why self taught drysuit training is not suggested. No extra charge.

I don't think, however, that anger management is on the agenda.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
DetroitDiver that was halarious, well written. Thanks for your answer to my question - although I fruitlessly searched the GUE site for 1/2 hour and while I found 64 things related to medical and medical history, I must be blind because I didn't find the medical history form itself or any list of specific medical pre-requisites. Perhaps someone could post a very specific link for the white-caned, dark sunglasses populous like myself.

I'm getting old and need glasses too!

Go to www.gue.com
Click on "classroom"
Then click on "student registration"

The form is self-explanatory.

Genesis once bubbled...
telling me to "just drink the Kool-Aid" won't cut it with me.

But, there is no point in taking training if you can't meet the entry requirements. And lack of objective standards means that all kinds of games can be played when it comes time to both get in and to pass or fail.

What I'm challenging them to do - as I did in the Triox discussion - is to walk the talk.

Against my better judgement I'll try this one more time. You have referred to some triox thread that I don't recall. Apparently you *skewed* me, but perhaps you can remind me, but if it was anything like this thread I'm confident I just bowed out..

Let me offer this thought for all to consider as it relates to your objections. As you may be aware the NOAA recommendation for exposure to a PP02 of 1.6 is limited to 45 minutes on a single day exposure. There are planty of peer reviewed studies that support this idea, Rutkowski and Hamilton amongst the most notable. Now if you and I were to have a debate as we just had, and I proposed to you the idea that the 45 minute limit is ridiculously conservative and I further told you that at each and every dive we do at the WKPP such 45 minute limit is exceeded by over 10,000%.. Now it would be clear that you could cite study after study supporting 45 minutes and what I'm telling you is that in the real world there are other options and other ways to approach the dive. The manner with which we are able to exceed the NOAA limits by over 10,000% simply can not be taught over the internet, is too complex to discuss in detail, is too easy to get misapplied without knowing the totality of issue and someone could get hurt.. Accordingly, we do it every dive but I'd be reckless if I simply told diver's on an open forum that it is OK to exceed recommended NOAA limits by 10,000%..

At some point you just have to appreciate we can't teach the whole class over the interent, and there is much, much more to the approach then some study that can be debated ad nausem in teh scientific community. For example, if you wanted to side with the gas free phase model that would differ significantly from a bubble mechanic model. Each could cite varying studies and it would be pointless.. It reminds me of the last Presidential campaign.. Whatever economic plan Bush put forward Gore had some Nobel prize winning economist saying that it was wrong, then when Gore put his plan Bush countered with his Nobel proze winning economist shiding the Gore plan as reckless.. The obvious point being that there is disagreement with respect to the THEORY within the scientific community, so tying your arguments to some study without appreciating the larger picture is only half the story.. As hard as I try I simply am incapable of teaching the entire class, complete with the point - counter-point argument, over a BBS..

We believe in what we teach, we have back up to support everything we say, we try to go the extra mile in terms of providing information without charge on public forums but at some point it just becomes fruitless.. FTR, I see no other agency in the world being any where near as accessible as we are, nor do I see any other agency provide the content, chapter and verse on a free scuba forum. In fact, you asked for *goals* and we even put our videos out on the net for free to show you the very goal you seem to think is elusive..

And finally, I say once again, that GUE isn't for everyone and I suspect that it is beyond your scope and I wish you luck in your future training endeavors.. We are not out to convince you, we are remain available but to engage in this type of fruitless debate is pointless and wastes everyone's time.

Later

Back
Top Bottom