DIR-F Changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GearHead

Contributor
Reaction score
<yaaaaaaaaaaawn>

Sorry for that, it's Monday morning, and I'm still feeling pretty beat-up from the class over the weekend. Bwerb, Nurseshark and I completed DIR-F over the weekend and speaking for myself, it was an awesome class. I probably wouldn't feel so tired if it wasn't for the unusual weather that UnclePug talked about in another thread. On Saturday, the temps were in the mid-90s and that's not a fun outdoor-classroom environment when there's no shade, and you spend part of it in drysuits.

And, this is just my opinion, but latex neckseals and raging sunburn are not a good combination. :wink:

I don't plan on giving a detailed report since that's ground that has been pretty well covered here. If there are any questions, though, I'll be happy to respond.

What I think is worth addressing pass/fail nature of the course and other changes.

In a nutshell, if you have what our instructor would characterize as "Life Threatening Buoyancy" - you're not passing the class. Beyond that, she didn't explain in detail any other attributes that would give you an "F" for the class. There were 5 students in our class with a large range of experience, and we all passed. I think that showing a "passable" skill level, a desire to improve, and solid concentration and understanding during lectures and planning will go a long way into ensuring you'll pass.

Every diver in the class improved hugely between the first dive and the last - and I'm not just talking about skills either - buddy awareness, dive planning, plan formulation and execution, etc.. I'm sure that's an important factor in whether you pass or not.

Our instructor, Sonya Tittle, did a GREAT job of tailoring the class based on each of our goals, and shockingly never ran low on energy in spite of the detailed lectures and discussions. Oh, and did I mention that the vis was between 5 and 7 feet for the entire class? It's pretty amazing that she was able to keep a handle on two dive teams and a videographer in those conditions. I'm not exaggerating, by the way, the plankton/algae bloom was one of the worst I've seen in Puget Sound. Now, if we'd done the dives in 80 fsw, it would have been a different story but . . . I digress.

The other difference I wanted to bring up was the fact that "Ratio Deco" aka "GUE Multilevel on-the-fly dive planning" has been put on the shelf and is no longer a topic being taught in Fundamentals. Even if you ask "pretty please with sugar on it", you're not getting the formula. Sonya explained why in detail, but the bottom line is that it's too much liability on the instructor and GUE. Instead, what they're emphasizing is diving "computer smart" instead of "computer dumb". They want you to understand what a good profile is, and why it is good. I was satisfied with the deco theory covered in the class.

Well, it looks like I wrote a bit of a report anyway. :rolleyes:

To confirm what a number of others have said, it was the best money I've spent on instruction in a LONG time, and I'm not just talking dive instruction.

Man, as tired as I am right now, I want to get back in the water! :D

I appreciate it because I am headed to spend the weekend with MHK on Friday and I think Sonya will be here too so it was nice to get a heads up.

Thanks.

Chad

Thanks for the report, I have the class in 3 weeks.

GearHead -

Thanks for the report...I'm looking forward to class on Friday....

Chad-
Well, it appears as though it is going to be an eventful weekend. If you have any practical joke Ideas you don't fee comfortable pulling...pm me, and I'll see what can be arranged....

Seriously though, Ber loaned me her book so I can be familiar with its cover before Friday. Looking farward to an exciting dive weekend

-T

Just wanted to add to Gearhead's report that i very much enjoyed doing the class with all of them. Great learning experience :)

and yea, sunburn and neckseal's dont mix :goofy:

as i said before, i encourage everyone who is serious about diving to at least consider taking this class :)

i cant wait for my 104's to come in :D

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bagged! I can't believe how much energy this course takes...both mental and physical. Nurseshark and I look like Zombies today.

I echo everything that Gearhead and Sheck33 said, especially the part about sunburn and neck seals...I get into work today and the first comment is...whoa, what happened to your neck...:D

Sonya Tittle and Mike (videographer) were tremendous. It is absolutely amazing that they could get great video in such incredibly bad conditions.

One point I would like to add to the discussion is that regarding the "internet DIR divers." The people from GUE and the DIR divers we met were nothing but 100% open, helpful, knowlegeable and eager to talk about any and all issues. They met each of us exactly where we were at...showed us where the bar was and then encouraged us not only to strive for the bar but also gave us the tools and techniques to make this a possibility. There was absolutely no belittling or "George says" crap.

I would agree that this was the best dive training money I have ever spent! I'd recommend it to absolutely anyone. The situational awareness and team dynamics discussions along with gas management alone were well worth the price.

Yes, you now must do the course in a BP/Wings but...after having tried them for the first time on Friday, I cannot say enough good about them and how much they really do make a difference in your control underwater. (Anyone want to buy two nearly new Raiders?).

If you are thinking about the course, go for it, you will not regret it at all.

Thanks for the reports, guys! I'm always amazed how much energy the instructors have in these classes.

I have yet to hear from someone who didn't think the gueF class was great.

Braunbehrens, I think you should modify that statement to yet to hear from anyeone who has TAKEN the DIRF class who didn't think it was great.. :)

I too would be interested into exactly what they mean by computer smart/computer dumb.

Sorry, I can't help myself...

It sounds like they changed their mind about telling divers at that level that they shouldn't use a computer.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom