DIR Doing Their Thang!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
There was a dude on a dive boat last weekend that kept asking people if they were DIR. When one diver was asked, he said, "No, I'm Jeff." That was pretty funny and to the point. IMO, DIR is something you learn, not something you are.

Keep in mind that I haven't taken a GUE course yet...Fundies this summer, though.

I like his answer! I might just use it from now on....

detroit diver:
After June 1st of this year, yes. Before that, no. There were no GUE cards (at least not DIRF cards) then. Or be a member of the WKPP.

This it total bull****. You need to learn the difference between necessary and sufficient conditions.

detroit diver:
Why does GUE have to bring on new instructors to survive? You are making an assumption that they want to be a big agency, and that is simply not true.......

You keep getting back to the point of someone else teaching DIR that is not GUE. Currently, you can only get certified DIR by GUE. Period. Previously, there were a few WKPP divers that I'm sure taught DIR classes. These instructors were most qualified to do so ( I would imagine!). The DIR card is now only available thru GUE.

:doctor: I did not say they want to be a big agency. Lee Iacocoa Said We don't need to be the biggest, just the best. He was referring to Chrysler Corp
If GUE wants to survive past the lives of it's current instructors they will need to get more instructors to carry on their ways.

The issuing of a "DIR" cert card may be excussive to GUE but teaching by Doing-it-right is not. Period

cornfed:
This it total bull****. You need to learn the difference between necessary and sufficient conditions.

Huh? And who's going to determine that? Maybe the local PADI instructor can help you decide what is necessary and sufficient, but there are specific criteria that you learn in a DIR class. Unless you can tell me of another agency that fullfills all of the skills and criteria that GUE teaches, how can I know that two people that claim they are DIR are actually so?

fgray1:
Think I should buy stock in Halcyon? They got a great marketing scam.
oops (I mean scheme)

Fred

Fred,

That arguement is old and de-bunked. Do your own search.

And yes, maybe you should buy stock-if you could. It's not a public company.

Just think about it. Small manufacturer begins to manufacture very high quality equipment to satisfy needs of demanding divers. At the same time, small organization (GUE) begins to train to very exacting and high quality standards. 4 years later, there are only 32 instructors.

Yet, the impact of these high standards and this small organization are changing the dive industry. So much so that the manufacturer has had to ask for a patent on their "logo" because the "biggies" felt such a need to copy them.

Laugh all you want. Snicker. Even, snort. But the bottom line is that quality will sell to those that know the difference.

detroit diver:
Huh? And who's going to determine that? Maybe the local PADI instructor can help you decide what is necessary and sufficient, but there are specific criteria that you learn in a DIR class.

You're entirely too hung up on agency. I'm not saying PADI is going to teach DIR classes. I'm saying you can learn DIR from non GUE instructors and probably without even taking a class (let along a GUE class).

detroit diver:
Unless you can tell me of another agency that fullfills all of the skills and criteria that GUE teaches, how can I know that two people that claim they are DIR are actually so?

Are you just going to look at what c-card is in my wallet and make your decision about me as a diver based on that? Other then that I can't see any reason you'd be concerned with making sure people who claim to DIR really are.

detroit diver:
Huh? And who's going to determine that? Maybe the local PADI instructor can help you decide what is necessary and sufficient, but there are specific criteria that you learn in a DIR class. Unless you can tell me of another agency that fullfills all of the skills and criteria that GUE teaches, how can I know that two people that claim they are DIR are actually so?

Good question. How do you know if some one is really DIR? I know for a fact that just because some one has taken GUE classes doesn't tell you that they are DIR. I say that because I know at least one person who has done GUE classes beyond DIRF and chooses to use methods that GUE definately doesn't teach.

Using labels can be a tricky thing I think.

detroit diver:
After June 1st of this year, yes. Before that, no. There were no GUE cards (at least not DIRF cards) then. Or be a member of the WKPP.

We can spot DIR a mile away.

Like any other industry. It's mostly about the Money.
Maybe their slogan can be " You've trained with the rest, NOW TRAIN WITH THE BEST" Sponsered by Halcyon and GUE with their logo on the bottom of the dive gear.

Fred

cornfed:
You're entirely too hung up on agency. I'm not saying PADI is going to teach DIR classes. I'm saying you can learn DIR from non GUE instructors and probably without even taking a class (let along a GUE class).

Are you just going to look at what c-card is in my wallet and make your decision about me as a diver based on that? Other then that I can't see any reason you'd be concerned with making sure people who claim to DIR really are.

Then how do you know what you're getting in terms of instuction? Just because someone calls it a DIR class? GUE is a known entity. Some guys calling his classes DIR is a crapshoot. Maybe you get the DIR training, and maybe you don't. When I take a GUE class, it's a known commodity.

Second. Having a GUE card in your wallet will tell me that I'm not starting from the beginning. Give me "some" confidence to start out with. Diving with them will be the final judgement.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom