DIR Doing Their Thang!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver:
Then how do you know what you're getting in terms of instuction? Just because someone calls it a DIR class? GUE is a known entity. Some guys calling his classes DIR is a crapshoot. Maybe you get the DIR training, and maybe you don't. When I take a GUE class, it's a known commodity.
I'm not talking about taking a class that someone has slapped a DIR label on in hopes of drumming up buisness. I asked you if it was impossible to be DIR without a GUE card and you said yes, it is.
Second. Having a GUE card in your wallet will tell me that I'm not starting from the beginning. Give me "some" confidence to start out with. Diving with them will be the final judgement.
If someone doesn't have GUE card do they get a chance at final judgement?

Waterlover:
Are you sure she doesn't need a GUE card to teach DIR:)? you stated in an earlier post you have to have a GUE card to be DIR....hmmmmm

Please read my corrected post when Mike pointed that out (it's about 3 posts later).

cornfed:
If someone doesn't have GUE card do they get a chance at final judgement?

In my case, of course. Can't speak for everyone.

detroit diver:
As I said in one of my previous posts, those involved with the WKPP (which Chickdiver is ) are very well qualified to teach DIR.

No, that's not what you said.

I asked you,
cornfed:
So now you're telling me that I have to have a GUE card to be DIR?
and you replied
detroit diver:
After June 1st of this year, yes. ... Or be a member of the WKPP.

So if I understand you correctly, you said that the only way to be DIR is to hold a GUE card or be a member of the WKPP. If you have since retracted or clarified that statement I certainly missed it.

cornfed:
No, that's not what you said.

I asked you,
and you replied

So if I understand you correctly, you said that the only way to be DIR is to hold a GUE card or be a member of the WKPP. If you have since retracted or clarified that statement I certainly missed it.

I also said that you could have been trained before the cards were issued. You forgot that part.

What's your point?

detroit diver:
Actually, it would be GUE colors because I sincerely believe in what they are teaching and what they stand for.

As for my equipment, you be pleased to know that I have a FredT backplate, and a Canadian backup light (can't remember the name of the manufacturer). My own harness. I do have Halcyon wings, though. Good stuff.
Probably Canadian Extreme...I have two of those myself.

detroit diver:
I also said that you could have been trained before the cards were issued. You forgot that part.

That doesn't help your case either.

What's your point?
You said the only way to be DIR is to either
  • Hold a GUE card
  • have taken DIR-F before they issued cards
  • be a member of the WKPP
and my point is that this is ridiculous. Please explain to me why you must satisfy at least one of those requirements in order to be DIR.

detroit diver:
Huh? And who's going to determine that? Maybe the local PADI instructor can help you decide what is necessary and sufficient, but there are specific criteria that you learn in a DIR class. Unless you can tell me of another agency that fullfills all of the skills and criteria that GUE teaches, how can I know that two people that claim they are DIR are actually so?

:doctor: You keep making this an agency thing, why? Who is to say that a good instructor of another agency would not cover all the skills and criteria that GUE teaches

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom